“Great Location”

Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea
Ranked #261 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We recently stayed here for 3 nights while visiting NY.
The room was small but clean and perfectly adequate. There were the usual amenities, tv, tea/coffee makers, iron, hairdryer etc. The air conditioning although a bit noisy worked extremely well - I do like a cold room and most hotels I stay at I find to be quite warm and stuffy but not here, the air con cooled in no time. The free wi-fi worked well and caused no problems.
I did read some complaints about there only being 2 lifts and it being slow if you were on a high floor - we were on the 12th floor and never encountered any long waits or problems with the lift.
The staff were all very helpful and friendly and were happy to store our bags on the last day due to a late flight.
The location of the hotel is fantastic - a few minutes walk from Penn Station making most of NY accessible from here and within walking distance of so many attractions.
My only slight grumble would be that breakfast was a bit chaotic - there were nowhere near enough seats for the guest and we ended up sitting outside on 2 of our 3 mornings there - it would have been nice in the summer but was quite chilly when we were there. It was often quite hard to get into the breakfast as well due to the amount of people waiting on toast, pancakes etc. I don't know what the ideal solution would be but felt it doesn't work very well as things stand just now. However, on the plus side the choice and quality of the breakfast bearing in mind its complimentary was excellent; it more than set us up for the day and saved having to go out and find somewhere to eat.
Another plus was that tea/coffee was available from the lobby all day, it was great being able to grab a cuppa on the way up to the room.
Overall a fantastic hotel in a fantastic location offering excellent value for money, only minor complaint on organisation of breakfast but nothing that would put me off coming here again or recommending the hotel. Excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Maggie H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear 17Ibp,

Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express MSG! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Your feedback regarding your stay is very much appreciated and helps us improve the experience that we deliver to each of our guests.

Thank you as well for feedback concerning breakfast. While our space is a bit limited, we are currently exploring some creative solutions that should help improve our morning routine.

Best,

Maggie Houston
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed October 13, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Wolfgang D
Reviewed October 12, 2012

great hotel in the Holiday Inn Express category. Clean, quiet, good bed, good pillows. Free internet. Distances to theaters was very acceptable. Very friendly staff, although they still have to learn how to book tickets for Broadway shows. I can certainly recommend this hotel to all.

Room Tip: My room was on the 11th floor and maybe therefore very quiet. Although, the street is not too busy e...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear mauritssuper,

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to hear that you were happily accommodated during your visit. Thank you for complimenting my team. I will share your comments and certainly ensure that we do a bit of training to improve our knowledge of Broadway ticket options.

Thank you again for your review. I hope to see you on a return trip to the city!

Best,

Maggie Houston
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Excellent choice for anyone staying in NYC looking for upper mid scale limited service hotel. Free Breakfast, consistent brand, freindly staff, excellent value, and perfect location. Would stay again any day. Highly recommended. Rooms were clean, nice, modern, and well appointed.

Room Tip: My view looking down to 29th was nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel was booked for us as part of a New England trip that started and finished in NYC. Location was fine - close to Madison Square Gardens with all you'd need locally. But its noisy, if you have a room on the front they're unloading huge trucks of parcels all night and you'll hear it all too clearly. It also only does naff breakfasts which are a farcical bun-fight when busy. We ate out for breakfast after day one at the Tick-Tock Diner on 8th and 34th, which is ace.

Room Tip: Back of hotel is quieter through the night
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Walking distance to Madison Square Garden and the Penn Subway Station. Also very close to lots of retail stores and restaurants. The hotel offers free internet, a gym and a hot breakfast. Our room was on the top floor facing 29th St. The room was clean and the staff very helpful and accommodating. The downside was that the A/C was making a noise and the faucet in the bathroom was loose - things that can be easily fixed. We walked from the hotel to Madison Square Gardens, to Times Square and on to Broadway. Everything considered, I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express – Madison Square Garden from August 15-19, 2012. First off, let me start off by saying that my first impressions were great. Hotel was clean and staff was very accommodating, providing us with 1 room for early check in. After the first night is when things got terribly uncomfortable. My wife woke up the next morning with bites all over her legs. We were not sure what they were or where they came from. As the week/end continued they did not go away but seem to progress. Long story short, we came to the assumption that there were bed bugs in our room. I contacted the GM (James) who conveniently passed off the responsibility to his AGM (Maggie) who had been on the job for 3 days. Clearly, this was not a top priority for James.
My story: I acknowledge that it is very difficult to prove whether or not the bites you receive from staying in a hotel room are from bed bugs. We actually contemplated with not filing a complaint because it’s their word versus mine. HOWEVER, after getting home from our trip and unpacking, I actually found a bed bug in our cooler (it is currently in a plastic bag on our fridge). The very cooler that went from my kitchen prior to leaving for the trip, to my car, into the hotel room where it sat for the duration of our stay.
Their story: They acknowledge my complaint and took the proper corporate steps to have our room inspected. First, a visual inspection, which, I was told, all staff are trained on what to look for and how to look for them. Second, they had a K9 unit come into the premise (room 1511) and no signs of any bed bugs were found.
Here is my problem. It is my understanding there are people out there who will do anything to get a refund, discount, etc. I do not have the time nor the energy to file a complaint to try and get a refund for my stay. I have much better things to do and much more important issues to deal with. I did not go into this trip hoping my wife would be disgusted and uncomfortable for 4 days just so I could spend 4 weeks of my life bantering back and forth with management to try and get my money back. They had one room inspected out of the 250 in the hotel, which equates to less than one half of one percent of their rooms. No, I absolutely cannot prove the bed bug that I found came from that room. What I can tell you is that the bites on my wife’s leg were in the pattern of which bed bugs bite (FACT: they bite in three’s, known as breakfast, lunch and dinner) and I found (and still have) a bed bug in our cooler which sat in the room and was never used.
I thought management handle this situation poorly, however, I understand there is no definitive proof of where that bed bug came from, I just think it is terribly convenient.
So, I will simply let you decide as the next person looking for a place to stay in NYC. The Holiday Inn Express – Madison Square Garden can offer you pretty much everything you are looking for in a hotel but I don’t think it can offer you peace of mind.
For more information or if you would like pictures, please contact jaarober18@gmail.com
Sweet Dreams!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Jarrett R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Jarrett R,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience your experience may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Mia R.