“High expectations exceeded”

Ranked #168 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Ottawa, Canada
“High expectations exceeded”
Reviewed November 24, 2010

As a travel industry professional, I have both inspected and stayed at many wonderful hotels worldwide over the last 25 years including New York. After reading the reviews, we had some very high expectations in several categories which were exceeded on all counts. The trendy hotel itself, large and luxurious rooms, happy and helpful staff and central location were simply unbeatable. I have previously stayed at the Ritz Carleton Battery Park, Hilton Millenium and Affinia but none came close to the London. The hotel provided a complimentary car service to Penn Station on our departure to Penn Station but for the most part, we had subway access just a block away. The rooms are huge with a large separate living room and extra comfy beds which are heaven after a long day. I can't imagine staying at another hotel other than the London on my next trip.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (814)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
Reviewed November 23, 2010

The hotel was clean, beautiful, quiet, roomy, comfortable, and professionally managed. The price, amenities, quality and level of service were all exactly as advertised.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I came here on business and it was a pleasure. A surprisingly understated hotel from the lobby but the rooms were huge and very comfortable. There's a Gordon Ramsay restaurant downstairs but again it's quite understated. It suprised how few New Yorkers had actually heard of the hotel which is perhaps why we bumped into a certain very well known singer in the lobby. Had no problems with the service as I didn't really require any. I didn't eat there or use any of the extra facilities so I can't really report on that but the huge bathroom and quirky sofa did it for me. Location wise, you're midtown so about 8 blocks from Times Square if that's your thing. If the touristy centre of NYC ain't your thing then look elsewhere.

Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed November 21, 2010

My room was so small it had no desk and no chair. I had reserved a suite but they were "sold out". I had to ask the front desk to adjust my room rate - they were planning to charge me for a suite anyway. They did adjust the room rate down to $505. The front lobby also has no chairs or sofas - if you're meeting someone in the lobby, you stand and wait. Their on-site restaurant had a breakfast buffet for $28 with no hot food. Cold cereal, fruit, cheeses, and danish. Coffee is extra. My granola with fruit and a coffee cost $37 excluding tip. For $500+ there are much better choices.

1 Thank rehoboth75
London
Reviewed November 16, 2010

My wife and I stayed for four nights. The staff were excellent, the location very central, and for the room rate decent value considering that we had a suite comprising a good size bedroom, attractive modern bathroom(no bath but large walk in shower) dressing room area, and sitting room.
Complimentary use of their own car serve was appreciated. However two coffees ordered via room service came to $30 (yes thirty!!) so you have been warned!
Other than that we can recommend this hotel on most counts and would certainly return and consider it a good choice for a trip to NYC.

Tallmadge
Reviewed November 15, 2010

My husband and I visit the city every year on the same weekend and have stayed at varying locations. The London was truly one of the top three hotels we have stayed at in the last ten years. The location was perfect....near Broadway and the Park. Service was readily available without interference and the room was beautiful.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2010

The plan was to take my father for a 5 day birthday trip to NY and so I booked a london suite and premium flights on a well known UK website. As we obviously required twin rather than double room, I called the hotel in advance to confirm this. Upon arrival we were told that there were no twin rooms left and that we could only have "a double bed and a cot". When I said that this was not acceptable for >£500 per night, I was referred to a front-desk manager who accused me of being a liar when I told her that I had confirmed a twin room by telephone. She said that she had 2 room suites available but she would not upgrade without very large further payment. I wasn't looking for a free upgrade due to a birthday, just a proper bed for us each to sleep on for 5 days, which didn't seem unreasonable. After much unpleasant discussion, one of the other ladies behind front-desk succeeded in persuading a party of 3 who were checking into a twin room with cot to take our room. It was a very unpleasant start to our stay. Otherwise, room was very comfortable and elegant. Excellent showers. Bar was great and service excellent. Concierge service was top quality. Its a shame that a really excellent hotel can be spoiled by one obnoxious and unhelpful reception manager - don't remember her name but its sad that she is the reason I wouldn't recommend this hotel or return there" - one star.

• Stayed December 2009