“Not worth the headache”

Ranked #175 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Diego, California
“Not worth the headache”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I'm in NY a few times a week so have become a de facto expert in the city's hotel, I guess. I also rarely review them unless I have something real to add compared to other reviews. This time, I do.

In short: stay away.

You can find better, cheaper elsewhere. And they'll probably treat you nicer.

Got into town at 1 AM last night and found out that they had given away my room despite my reservation. They still found a room for me though, albeit with a twin bed.

When I expressed frustration with this change, I was basically told that if I didn't like it - I could just go elsewhere. Mind you, it was 1 AM already?!?!?!

So, I did. Told them they could have their room back and called Starwood Hotels 1-800 number. They found me a room a block away at $100 less.

In summary - this is a nice enough hotel where I found that the staff couldn't care less about their guests to the point of trying to bully them around.

Try it if you like. I have too much self respect.

5 Thank SuitNflipflops

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Was traveling with friends to NYC - they were staying here so I decided to stay with them at the London the 1st nite, then move to my hotel. The move never happened - I stayed at the London for the entire trip. I'm Platinum Starwood and Elite Marriott, so I've spent a few nights in hotels in my time. Because the London is east of 7th Ave, there's less street noise. The location is great. New York City had 100 degree plus weather that week, and the AC worked just fine. The staff was great - not fake over-enthusiasm, just hard working New Yorkers who wanted to make sure your needs were met. The London NYC Club gym was clean, roomy, well equipped & excellent for any type of workout. My complaint is that I had to leave. And when I return to New York, I'll stay at The London again.

Los Angeles
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Recently stayed two nights at The London. We have a list of approved hotels through work, and unfortunately The London is not on that list. BUT, another company was paying for the hotel and put me up at The London. I had a reservation at The Ritz Carlton, but canceled it to stay at The London. Needless to say, my expectations were pretty high.

In the past, I've stayed at The Parker Meridien, The Trump International, The Millennium (horrible), and a few other ones in midtown. The London is by far my new favorite.

To begin with, it's a new property, so it's very very clean. The location...perfect (if you want to be near midtown, etc). It's still a bit touristy, but quite often that's why folks visit NYC so it's ideal. The room, or should I say suite, is bigger than many of my friend's apartments. You walk into a large living room area with huge desk (plenty of plugs) and a modern semi-circular couch. French doors open up to the separate king bed. There is a small hallway with an open closet area which leads to the bathroom. The bathroom is a bit narrow, but the shower is huge (two person...probably could fit 3 or 4 if you don't mind sharing the shower heads (there are two - one traditional and one rains shower).

The bathroom amenities were great so I didn't use the stuff I brought. Yes I'm a guy and I bring my own shampoo and conditioner. Plenty of towels (although they could have used one towel rack near the sink if I could find one tiny tiny fault).

Two tvs, plenty of good lighting, a nice view through both windows (equipped with automatic curtains). It's a great room/suite and I felt VERY comfortable there.

They just get it right at The London. The concierge (all of them) had great suggestions for dinner and great directions. Yes, that's their job...they are supposed to be good at it. BUT, it's so often not the case. This team (happened to be guys I talked to) were warm and very helpful. The gym is open 24 hours and has free water, headsets and lots of modern machines. Nicely done!

Free wireless internet. Again, well done! So many hotels nickel and dime you, or should I say $15 and $20 you for lousy slow internet access. The London doesn't. A call to housekeeping to request foam pillows and 3 minutes later a knock on my door. I've waited 30 minutes at other "luxury" hotels.

My one tiny gripe is the fact that I didn't receive my requested wake-up call one morning. Not a crisis as I never rely on them, but should someone not set the in room clock or their own alarm it could have caused a problem. I'm just chalking that up to a miss-communication somewhere along the line.

I enthusiastically recommend this hotel and I'm going to beg my company to put it on our approved list.

2 Thank spinner3
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2010

500 sq.ft standard rooms. That was the main selling point of this hotel for me in NYC. Having spent many nights is small cramped 300sq.ft rooms, it was a pleasure to have a decent room without having to upgrade to a suite.

We stayed in a Vista room, which is standard except for being on a hight floor and the room, service and location were great. The added bonus of having a (slightly obstructed) view onto Central Park was an added bonus.

The gym is amongst the best I've ever come accross in any hotel. It feels more like a high-end members club in London.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank reallyreallyfussy
London
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My firm uses this hotel to house our European colleagues when they visit the U.S. I had occasion to stay at The London NYC with my family for one week in early July. My choosy teenagers, my Japanese wife and I were all very satisfied with the hotel. Its location is superb, within easy walking distance of MoMA and Carnegie Hall. The suites are outfitted to a high standard and are, by Manhattan standards, quite spacious. We had friends over to watch a World Cup game on the television, and all six of us felt very comfortable in the space. The service in the hotel was pleasant and unobtrusive. The breakfast buffet was something of a letdown--rather thin on selection and nothing to write home about. One rating point off for that. But otherwise, I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. I'll definitely stay here again--it is well above the norm for Manhattan.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Andlovingit
Guildford, UK
Reviewed July 5, 2010

lovely big room but no bath only double shower in huge bathroom. We were stranded by the volcanic ash and asked to stay one more night; they charged us £350 despite asking for the same rate we were paying. i felt they were not interested in helping us out so we moved to the alex where we got a much better deal while waiting a week for our delayed flight. High quality breakfast but not cheap!.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gurneyfan
India
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Everything in New York jostles for space. Not a square inch of calm or quietude available to stand and not be rushed!

So when I moved hotels and checked in to TheLondon NYC ( from the dark and dimly lit Midtown Manhattan) it was a pleasure to be able to see a clearly brightly lit airy )reception area. A courteous staff at reception and my delight was the LARGE room which afforded space - Huge living room, a super comfortable bedroom, a walk in closet and a massive bathroom! Gleee:)

My next few days were spent in New York busy busy busy ad I looked fwd to returning to the hotel room as it offered me my SPACE!:)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business