“Great Looking hotel but service is lacking”
Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #197 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 11, 2010

The London NYC has spacious rooms for a good value. However the service is not up to par with other 5 star hotels. The bellman did not even help with our bags and did not even offer. The hostess at the restaurant got a colleague a drink and before he could say thank you, she snipped "a thank you would be nice." The security started yelling at another colleague and was extremely rude. Overall service was consistent with a 3 star hotel. I would not stay again. Food was mediocre.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 9, 2010

I stayed three nights at The London in February 2010 while on a business trip.

The rooms at The London are large, especially by New York City standards, but the space is not well used. For example, my room had a large dressing area, with lots of open space, but the mirror was placed off to the side at an awkward angle, and there were no drawers for clothes. Similarly, although the bathroom was double the size of most hotel bathrooms, there was only a shower stall and no bathtub; although there was plenty of empty wall space, the only hooks for the bathrobes were located in places where you would block access to items on the shelves if you actually hung a robe there.

The food from the room service menu was better than at most other hotels, but the portions were small. It was nice to look forward to ordering from the menu.

The quality of service from the staff was within expectations for a hotel of The London’s caliber. Everyone was cordial and professional, but very few staff members gave you the sense that they were going above and beyond the call of duty.

I would stay at The London again for business. If you need to spend a significant amount of time in your room doing work, the extra space gives you the ability to spread out. If I were traveling for pleasure, I probably would stay somewhere else for the same price.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 8, 2010

My new wife and I stayed here for our wedding night. This is a lovely hotel. It has the feel of a small hotel (where everyone knows you) with all the amenities one needs. The room are spacious, especially for NY City and the decor is a nice mix of classic/hip. Super comfortable beds, great view, and quiet (for mid town).We did not try the restaurants, as we could not get a reservation for the right time. I thought the location was convenient and the hotel was an axcellent value. I would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I traveled to NYC with a good friend and we stayed at the London on the recommendation from another friend. I booked online and got a really good deal on a Vista Suite. I asked for a room with a view and got exactly what I asked for. I forget what floor we were on but I think it was either the 14 or 18 - we had a good view of the park. The Vista Suites are about 500 sq. feet in size with a separate living room area, bedroom and large bathroom. This is probably one of the coolest hotels I've stayed at. I've stayed at a lot of nice older hotels in NYC such as The Plaza, The Waldorf and a few others but would rank this one up there as well. Did not get a chance to eat at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant but would like to in the future. Did not take any pics but I'm sure you can view some of the other reviewers as wells as some on the hotel website. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I picked the London NYC among all other New York hotels as the best place to go for a romantic weekend during which I planned to propose to my girlfriend.

Julie Andrews, Executive Assistant, took care of my reservations and any questions I had with great professionalism and friendliness, which made me immediately feel welcome. She helped make this trip the most memorable time of our lives, no less.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we learned that we had received a free upgrade from the Sky Suite to the Apartment Suite (worth twice more), and were received in our room with a great bottle of champagne, delicious truffles, and more. I was truly wonderful; we both felt like royalty, and it made the perfect setting for the proposal.

The Apartment Suite is truly luxurious, very, very spacious, and contains everything anyone could need during his stay in a hotel - large tub, two showers, huge masters bathroom, workspace with a flascreen TV, dining table, kitchen with microwave, fridge and freezer, living room with huge flat widescreen TV, a large bedroom with yet another flatscreen TV, plus amazing views in three directions (including Central Park, Hudson River and Times Square) through large windows that you can even open.

For the following two nights, I had reserved a Vista Suite on a top floor (49th), which felt just as luxurious, but in a smaller size that was still large for a hotel room. A bedroom as large as, or bigger than most hotel rooms I have seen, but with an adjacent living room just as big, plus a large bathroom with a huge shower containing two seperate shower heads (normal on one side, rainshower on the other side).

In both cases, the bed was most comfortable, there was no noise coming from outside (except some wind noise through a window that wouldn't close tightly in the masters bathroom and the occasional siren from an emergency vehicle, but nothing that could wake us up), and the rooms were very, very clean. In the Vista room, I asked for a vase, then later for a spoon, and received them both times quickly by a very professional employee.

The only downside I could find is that the TV could have been bigger in the Vista's bedroom, but that is probably only because I'm a fan of huge TV screens that aren't very good for your eyes anyway. Also in the Vista Suite, some water tends to drop on the floor out of the shower, but that's nothing an extra towel on the floor can't fix.

Every employee I met were most friendly and professional, from the Executive Assistant who took my reservations down to the cleaning lady who filled up my ice bucket for me, genuinely happy to help me in any way she could. I noticed some people have been complaining about the front desk employees, but I've had only great experience with them, be it while checking in, checking out, or in between. Doormen are most helpful and greeted us every time we passed by, pushing the revolving door for us or quickly calling a taxi when we needed one. As for the concierge service, I would say that the quality of the suggestions we were offered depended on who offered them, but it was always offered by a friendly employee who was always ready to serve you.

Finally, the hotel couldn't be in a better location, a few blocks away from everything: Central Park, Times Square, subways, theatres, restaurants, etc.

Of course, all this luxury, space and comfort comes with a price, but I firmly believe it was worth every penny. I don't think you will find a better value for this kind of luxury anywhere else in downtown New York. Oh, and by the way, she said Yes!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Heim
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I read some previous reviews that the front desk staff were rude. This was not my experience at all. In fact I was greeted by a very friendy/personable lady upon check in. When I would come into the hotel, the front desk staff would greet me (if they werent helping someone else). The room was amazing. Very spacious. The bathroom was great. Bed was very comfortable. I will stay here again next time I'm in NYC.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2010

We stayed for Valentines day and had dinner at Gordon Ramsay's which is in the lobby of the London. I was a little concerned because I read some reviews on here which said the staff was unattentive or unpleasant. When we got there, nothing could be further from the truth. The staff was truly top-notch. The room was clean, HUGE for NYC and loaded with amenities. Robes, slippers, 24-hour gym with free waterbottles and earphones. Brand new equipment, flat screen TV's everywhere, Fantastic shower, fast Valet - dinner at Ramsay's was fantastic as well. This is the best hotel experience I've ever had. Free wi-fi in all the rooms too!

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple