“THE LONDON SUCKS”
Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #237 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 5, 2009

They messed up our room reservation, gave me unwanted wake up calls at 3am, and charged me for minibar items i never got!! all with no apologies.... the people at the front desk are rude and inconsiderate!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank londonsucks
Write a ReviewReviews (3,718)

Reviewed October 4, 2009

This is a special place, it was advertised in the Centurion magazine and had a few perks to attract new clientele.

I was treated in the most polite and professional manner throughout the 5 days I spent here, the Front Desk Manager really went the extra mile to give me and the two friends I travelled with a wonderful experience. He locked off two of the end rooms so we had 2 suites to ourselves with interconnecting doors.

You can complain about price but this is New York, there isn't really a massive difference for the area. One thing that always appeals to me is when guests dress up a little even for breakfast, that was the case over here - very classy.

The breakfast buffet has all the things you would expect and there is a Ramsay restaurant I believe.

The location is pretty dead on perfect, a few blocks up from Times Square, you don't get to see all the foot-traffic passing the hotel which is nice. You have the proximity to Central Park and the shopping on 5th Avenue, Hells Kitchen is just round the corner.

When I went, there was a sudden snowstorm on the 1st of March - I will never forget the experience of NY with a carpet of fresh white snow - I wished the planes were grounded so I could stay another day....shame but a beautiful memory.

Take a punt and go for this hotel - you will not be disappointed. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank avelautham
Reviewed September 30, 2009

I stayed here during the UN General Assembly week and it was the least expensive Amex Platinum property I could find. We were impressed with the rooms and the hotel in general. Great location. The staff at breakfast is not great and the food ok but since we had brkfst included we did not complain. Will check The London out when making future plans for NYC>

1  Thank piatty73
Reviewed September 30, 2009

Stayed here with my daughter for 7 nights. Rooms were huge by city standards, beautifully furnished and immaculate. Staff at check in were friendly and helpful as were all the staff we encountered during our stay. The location couldn't be better as everyone else has said, walk in minutes to Central Park, Times Square (though why you would I'm not sure) and between 6th and 7th Avenues so excellent for shopaholics.
The Gordon Ramsay Restaurant provided a superb dining experience on our last night and the staff there were delightful.

Would recommend The London unreservedly.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Clodaghsmum
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Let me start this by saying that we had a great time at this hotel. We have stayed here 6 or 7 times, and enjoyed each time. This was perhaps our best stay. But, when check out time came, the rates had been increased by a total of about $600 for 4 nights. I spoke with the assistant manager and she said that since I didnt have my confirmation email, there was "nothing" she could do (of course I know as does every one reading this that she could have "discounted" the rate if she would have wanted to.) Next time I will print and keep the confirmation email. Overall a great hotel but I would not have booked at this higher price.

1  Thank ma6907
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Well, the usual disclaimer; over 150 nights in hotels across the globe a year, from the Holiday Inn Express to the Four Seasons. Member of every top tier hotel loyalty programme, noise phobic, hygiene obsessed and damn fussy.

I get to NYC about 5-6 times a year for the past 15 years. I started at the Pierre, moved to the Plaza Athenee and then ten years ago discovered the Ritz Carlton at Central Park. In-between, I must have done every other 5-Star NYC hotel, including the St Regis, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental and Trump. So, I know what I am talking about when it comes to NYC hotels.

I tried to book the RC, but it was UN Week and they were full, so headed to the London, as it was recommended to me by an equally fussy traveller.

Well, wow. I tried to find fault, tried to pick the place apart. I read every bad review on here so I could look for the bad things. But I didn’t find a single thing wrong. In fact, I am delighted to suggest that this may just be the finest hotel in NYC.

Ok, so it’s not got that clubby Hamptons-Wall Street exclusivity of the Ritz or the Peninsula, and nor does it have the painful trendiness of Soho House or the Tribeca Grand. But it’s also a different planet from the pack and stack of the Hilton or Sheraton or even the Parker up the road.

The location too is perfect. Central Park-5mins. Times Sq/Braodway-10mins. 5th Av-5mins. Downtown-20mins. My favourite Deli, the Carniege-2mins.

The door staff are great, the Concierge full of self importance (but find me anything else in New York City), front desk very attentive and every one I came across was friendly and efficient.

I set a few tests when I arrive; how quick do they come and pick up my shirts and press them when I arrive, how fast do they bring me my foam pillows, and is it clean under the bed. Well, record time to the first two and spotless to the last.

I was on the 52nd floor facing over the park. If it wasn’t for the office block opposite it would be the best view in Manhattan-but I got up to the Washington Bridge on one side and the Triboro on the other, with a fair amount of the park below.

The room/suite is fantastic. Larger than two RC’s rooms put together. I like contemporary, and these guys have nailed it. Simple, unpretentious and very functional.
Great working desk, super large table, lovely rocking chair, loads of storage and a fantastic bed. This is seriously a great bed.

The bathroom was nice, with a double shower-but I would have liked a bath.
All the technology worked effortlessly and I loved the free internet for my two laptops.
Most importantly for me was the noise. Not a sound from upstairs or next door, and once you shut the doors to the bedroom area, nothing too from the hallway. I have never slept in a more silent hotel room in the middle of the world’s noisiest city. Simply mind-blowing.
I even phoned the manager when I was there to say what a great hotel the London is. I feel a slight betrayal to the RC, but sorry guys I am going to leave your chintzy exclusivity to the Hampton set , as I have a new home in New York.

You would be insane to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
8  Thank milesw
Reviewed September 24, 2009

This was a great value for a NYC luxury hotel. We normally stay at the Mandarin Oriental, but found the London NYC to be a great value at about half the price. The rooms at the London were much larger, two room suites in fact which is really a luxury compared to most hotel room sizes in the city. It was so nice to have a separate bedroom and sitting room. Maze is a great restaurant and there are plenty more within a couple of blocks. I would and will stay here again.