“Great Location”

Ranked #179 of 466 Hotels in New York City
UK
“Great Location”
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Have just returned from a 4 night stay at the London NYC. The location is superb within easy walking distance of Broadway theatres, Fifth Avenue shopping and Times Square. The suites are spacious, clean and stylish however there are a few less positive points to raise. Check in was disorganised and the twin room I booked was not ready until after 6pm. I felt that the reception staff were a little disinterested and didn't go out of their way to help. There were 3 of us staying and the twin beds are actually single beds, so we requested a roll away which was quite uncomfortable. While waiting for the room, we had a drink in the bar area - 2 small glasses of house wine cost $40 with tip. On the first night we ordered room service - the bill for 3 very average sandwiches and drinks was $170. There are plenty of less expensive diners and restaurants close to the hotel. Ellen's Stardust Diner was great fun. Overall, we loved the hotel, had a great stay and would definately return

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff on reception
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Reviewer42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I've stayed in the London NYC for 2 nights sharing a suite in the 34th floor with two friends.
The suite was enought sized, but the view, beside being on a 34th floor, it was blocked by other buildings of the same size, so I could only see the ave through a small corner, but it was ok. Maybe I was expecting more than I should be.
Room was very clean, very calm (no noise at all) had a stereo connection for i-pod and 2 LCD TV's. The good and the bad were: the rollaway bed for the 3rd person (ME!) was extremely comfortable, really excelent!! The not so good was the tiny size of the bathroom.
The service in general was good: very helpful porters and concierge desk.
The buffet breakfast was poor. Consisted of cereals, 2 or 3 type of fruits, croissants, 2 or 3 types of cheese and bread. All of very good quality but too expensive for such few variety. However, it is possible to ask for some toasts, orange juice or scrambled eggs, but you have to pay extra cash.
If you don't want to spend so much money for breakfast, just around the corner you have a place were you can have your breakfast for less than 20$.
The loction is also excellent, near MoMA, Trump tower, 5th Ave, stores and restaurants. The hotel is a little bit expensive, but in Manhattan what is not??

• Liked — Service, location, comfort.
  • Disliked — Price and Breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Uken
toronto
Reviewed October 17, 2008

We have stayed at the hotel more than 6 times, and while we enjoyed our first three to four visits, the last two have now forced us to reconsider our future potential stays. The staff at the front desk have seemed to develop an elitist attitude, reminiscent of snobbery. The management failed to adequately address the issue of the brown bath water and the fact that the past two visits required us to make several reservations since they kept "missing" our previous reservation, we are now second guesing making any more plans to stay here again. Add to this that the hotel is unable to properly address a regular customers preferences or specifics surrounding previous visits, it gives one pause as to why the hotel does not have a sufficient computer system that can retain all of this neccessary and pertinent information. For the price per room, one would think that the service and abilities of the management staff would be superior to those of other hotels, sadly this is not the case. Check other more established hotels in the same range and area before making this hotel your choice.

• Liked — The design of the decor
  • Disliked — The brown bath water, and the negative attitude of the staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmelo
Calgary, AB
Reviewed October 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed at London NYC on a recent trip to New York from Sept 28 - Oct 2. This was my first time to NY and we booked the hotel on their website.

The hotel was gorgeous and the rooms were huge, especially for NY as I hear most hotel rooms are really really small. Our room had a separate bedroom with french doors, it was great!

We ate every morning in the restaurant and the food was good and service was good. We ordered room service once and found it really expensive, with some extra fees we didn't see. so we didn't order again.

This hotel was in an awesome location and we walked to central park, time square, 5th avenue, it was awesome. It was also pretty close to the subway, which we used a lot!

Lots of fabulous restaurants in walking distance from the hotel . The concierge was great at making recommendations.

We will definitely stay at the hotel when we make a trip to NY again.

• Liked — modern, clean hotel, great location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peoplephotographer
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 5, 2008

We stayed at this hotel on a recent trip to New York City . The trip was to celebrate a joint retiral and when staff became aware of this, they couldn't have been more pleased for us. Indeed that night , we returned to our room to find a bottle of Champagne and nibbles ~ a wonderful surprise after a hard day's shopping ! The suite in which we stayed was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The attention to detail was first class. We ate in The Maze ~ a Gordon Ramsay restaurant within the hotel ~ and were thrilled when Gordon Ramsay appeared in the restaurant , chatted with us and invited us in to his kitchen.
A memorable weekend. We'll be back !!!

• Liked — The fact that we had a suite, large enough for 3 people. Friendly & helpful staff.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Craig64
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed September 29, 2008

First off let me say I'm spoiled by Four Seasons hotels and I will try not to judge this hotel based on the 4S. That said, the London is a great hotel. It was exceptionally clean, the rooms were beautiful and spacious, the bathrooms were gorgeous, and the location can't be beat. However, the service isn't all that great-I don't think a doorman ever opened our door. Our tv didn't work all weekend, and was never fixed, despite repeated phone calls to the front desk. They did send people to see about it, but at $500 a night and over 2 days' time, you'd think they could have done something about it. So, the service isn't exceptional, but at literally half the price of a 4S, it's a great hotel. For a weekend jaunt, the service isn't as important to me as the niceness and cleanliness of the room, and the London delivered. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Cleanliness, beauty of the rooms/baths
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2008

I have been fortunate to stay in a few luxury hotels during the past decade. During the past year I stayed at the Greenbrier in WV and Atlantis Bahamas. My wife and I chose the London for a romantic getaway and I have to admit I was a bit leery of the prices. But duty called (my wife's choice of hotel based on her research) and all I can say is WOW! I usually have way better things to do than write a (very likely unread)review about a hotel but for anyone interested The London was tremendous. First and foremost the service was outstanding! I have never met concierges (I dealt with several and all were brilliant) that seemed so wired into their city and astute enough to gauge their clientele so accurately. Equally impressive was the staff from housekeeping to front desk to maintenance. An example-As I tried to sort out the flat screen TV my wife said call maintenance; so I did. I figured out the remote about 1 minute later-about 2 minutes before a friendly tech knocked. Or how about riding an elevator and having a housekeeping person look you in the eye, ask about your room and wonder if she could assist in any way. I could go on about the excellent location, nice gym and the best bed I have ever slept in but it was the service that stood out most. Sorry so long but The London was truly special.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business