“We Loved It!”
Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #237 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed here this past weekend and had a very enjoyable stay. We were in room 4014, which was very big and spacious, not like most city hotel rooms. The room was very clean, the bedding very comfortable, and the linens soft and fluffy. The hotel bar/lounge had great food and service. The location is great as well, very convenient and close to many great restaurants. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,714)

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Don't get me wrong, the bed was good with nice linen and pillows, but the rest of our room needed renovation. The grout in the shower was discolored (I don't know if it was mold or mildew). I have never stayed at this grade of hotel and not had doors on the closet (I expect this at economy or budget based hotels). There was no coffee maker in the room, which I love at Westin and Marriott brands. We ate at the celebrity chef restaurant and found the portions to be very small and very, very expensive. Drinks were very expensive too. The hotel provided wifi was spotty. The location is excellent. The best part was the bell staff who were charmingly authentic and unpretentious. However, I felt like i was playing "cat and mouse" with our housekeeper waiting to get into our room whenI ran out to Starbucks. She could t wait to get into our room. I fought between rating this hotel a 2 or 3 out of 5.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

It's difficult to believe the other reviewers went to the same hotel we did. Although the rooms were beautiful and gym was fine, the service when we went downstairs to get coffees and snacks was not just sub-par, it was offensively awful.

The waiter repeatedly ignored us, and had a very hostile bad attitude - it was rather shocking - we were pleasant towards him, but what rude treatment! - I even wondered if there was something at play such as racism (I am an anglo New Yorker there with my Indian partner and waiters were Indian). I can't adequately express what a nasty unpleasant experience this was, which clouded the rest of our stay. We had planned to eat at the hotel restaurant in the evening but, after this experience, did not even consider it. The offensively bad staff there ruined what could have otherwise been a lovely experience.

At a certain point, after spending a long time trying, when I could not even get the waiter to give us water without my getting up and walking to the bar, I was hoping someone else would help us. But, even at the end when we simply wanted to get and pay our bill and get *ANYONE* to help us, it took a huge effort to finally another dour unpleasant waitperson to get our bill. We should have walked out, instead of trying to be good citizens. I find it remarkable that other reviewers have given this good ratings - I would steer as far away from this place as possible!

12  Thank Doug R
Augustine S, London Ambassador at The London NYC, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Doug R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The London NYC.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we have caused you with the different issues. I can’t tell you how your observations distressed me. We spend an inordinate amount of time on staff training and development, and that you appeared to experience none of the London’s high standards with the waiter is inexcusable. It is by listening to our guests that we are able to maintain our normally very high level of standards. At The London NYC we continually strive to exceed our guests’ personal service standards, and it is important to us to know when we are not doing so. I would be happy to speak with you directly regarding your experience, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

I truly apologize for your disappointing experience, and we welcome the opportunity to host you again and leave you with a positive impression.

Warm Regards,

Augustine T. Saylee
London Ambassador
T: 212.468.8860

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed at The London because we were having major construction done in our NYC apartment and took this as an opportunity to have a part work, part staycation, since we had to be in the city but could not be in our apartment. We have stayed at The London in West Hollywood a number of times over the past 4 years when we go out west to visit family. We LOVE The London in West Hollywood (see other review), amazing hotel, service and amenities, so that prompted us to stay at the NYC location. That being said, I thought we would be happy with the NYC accommodations and I am somewhat disappointed for several reasons. We are staying in a London Suite, which is more expensive and less luxurious then the rooms in West Hollywood and lacks in amenities and receiving quality goods and services for the substantial $330.00 plus a night. The room is spacious and the layout is accurately described on their site, so we are happy with the size of the room, but the amenities fall very short. Towels are rough and some of ours even had holes in them. There is no coffee maker, complimentary water or variety of snacks provided in the room. This was a big surprise and we like our coffee maker in the room, which seems standard in most hotels, but not here. There was a fridge with water, juices, liquors (the standards) with some nuts that are chilled, but nothing else. Pretty skimpy and disappointing for the reputation the hotel has. The London in CA had a variety and plethora of snacks like granola bars, chips, cookies, dried fruit, etc AND a Keurig coffee maker so we could have a cup of coffee at our leisure. The lobby lacks a vibe – no lounge or seating area except the check in area. The Gordon Ramsay restaurant is downstairs and we had breakfast for a pretty penny. I was surprised there was no complimentary buffet like the one in CA, which was a simple, cold (and tasty) buffet with cereal, yogurt, fruits, and meats and cheeses… the NYC London charges a lofty $28.00 for this cold breakfast! Also, the service was uneven and at times pretentious. If you are looking for some luxury with a spacious room you might find better options that do include Coffee and better amenities in your room.

Room Tip: Choose a high room to get more sunlight!
3  Thank MoHop
Reviewed January 25, 2014

As the manager explained an an email to me after our visit (not so personal...form email they send out asking for reviews to be posted of hotel) The London is not for everyone....BUT they do provide excellent service and it's a very nice property. The rooms are smallish even though we had one of the "suites" that has an attached living area. Very modern decor but room was clean and it served it's purpose for our short weekend. I would stay here again as it was very conveniently located and well staffed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ANN S
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Very pleasant stay. Perfect location close to MOMA and 5th Ave. Stylish rooms and bathroom. Up to date technology ports and free internet. Very quiet and relaxing stay. The employees were friendly and efficient. Pricey breakfast but otherwise an excellent overall experience.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed at The London NYC the weekend after Christmas for 1 night. The hotel is absolutely lovely. This is not a discount hotel by any means - rates were rather high during the peak holiday weekend, but compared to other options in the area this was by far the nicest choice.

Pros:
Professional and quick staff.
Enormous rooms - every room is a suite.
Large bathroom with double shower heads
Large dressing room.
Fabulous room service and a fantastic cocktail area.

Cons:
No lobby to speak of - no place to sit.
Shower has a strange design where water floods the bathroom floor.

If you are planning a theater night and want to stay in the city this is by far the best and most convenient choice. You are only a couple of blocks from central park, within walking distance to most popular theaters and close to so many great restaurants. The fact that you have a suite with a living room area separate from the sleeping room is wonderful. I really loved the privacy.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BXG824

Dear BXG824,

Thank you for this glowing review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words about our hotel. Hearing from our guests is so important to us, as it keeps us inspired to provide over and above service on a daily basis.

It is an honor to be compared against our colleagues, and it is even more of an honor to have you consider us as the best hotel in NYC. We hope that you come to stay with us again soon. We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Warm Regards,