“Best Hotel In NYC...Hands Down!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #160 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Hotel In NYC...Hands Down!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The London NYC is absolutely my favorite hotel in New York City. I value a wonderful hotel experience wherever I travel in the world and for me there is no place else I would stay in NYC. For six years, I have regularly stayed at this intimate, chic, contemporary, safe-haven in the heart of Midtown. I came to know the hotel while spending the weekend celebrating a friend's birthday. We wanted to be near all of the famed Broadway theaters and definitely were. A few weeks later I was back in the city for work and on a friend's recommendation stayed at another popular boutique hotel. This hotel was loud -- more like a nightclub -- dark, depressing and tiny. Remembering my recent experience a few weeks back, I called the London, booked a room and checked out immediately with two days left on my trip. The rooms are bigger than most hotels not just for NYC, but anywhere in the world. I often feel like its my apartment in NYC-- I actually always call it that. Every room is a suite and if you have something to celebrate definitely treat yourself to one of the even more luxurious rooms. I stayed in the Atrium once and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G (the living room was enclosed in windows)! The decor is full of clean lines and contemporary designs that are thoughtful and not too weird or overdone. You can't hear any street noise or sound between rooms so all rooms allow you to get great sleep. I always order the room service and the food is consistently good and matches the offerings in their great restaurant, Maze (where I like to have business meetings when practical). All the staff is fantastic in every sense of the word from Michael the Front Doorman, Chris the Bellman, everyone at the check-in (all should be recognized), Alphonso the Concierge to Augustine the London Ambassador who especially goes out of his way to make the guests feel comfortable. What other hotel has an Ambassador to Guests? How cool! The hotel always helps me find great shows, restaurants, transportation, and more. It is truly perfectly positioned in the city near Broadway, the great shops on Fifth Avenue, Central Park, Carnegie Hall, and so much more-- all in walking distance. The hotel often has great rates and constantly emails specials that I try to regularly take advantage of and I tell my friends to do the same. I brought my entire family there this year to attend New York Fashion Week, including my 92 year old Grandma and she thought it was fantastic and told all her friends so. Best hotel experience in New York City-- hands down and luckily for me I have it over and over again every time I visit. I've kept the London to myself long enough. Figured I would start to share all the goodness it has to offer. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Corner suites are longer in length.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel twice before using their 2 bedroom suites when we went with our children we decided to stay her again a few years later just the two of us as we liked where the hotel was situated - in the heart of the theatre district and close to the shops and central park.
This time however, we were given a standard suite which at 6am woke us up with the noise of the pipework - it sounded like we were gonna take off!! It happened again at 6.30 and at 7am..my husband then called housekeeping and they told us it was outside but whilst he was on the phone to them it happened again and they said they would move us during the day. We were moved at 3pm that day to a bigger room ..apparently one part of the hotel has old pipes and we were that side but now we weren't - big relief. Their turndown service was just that they turned down the blankets...so we didn't bother with that as really not necessary. The breakfast was the big problem - they didn't have enough staff to cater for the customers and as the Americans get a voucher for a free breakfast it was obviously very busy - but there was a long turnaround as they needed to clear the empty tables - this took too long.....we had to wait 15 minutes one morning and the replenishing of the buffet also took time...when you want breakfast and then go out for the day as you do in New York City it was annoying to say the least and the receptionists in the restaurant weren't helpful...though our final room was good I feel it now needs a little redecoration and tidying up - don't think we would stay her again.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I think the London Hotel is great. It is well positioned, the room was very big by NY standards, it was clean, looked like it had been done up recently and was different to many City hotels I have stayed in, which I liked as they can get a bit samey.

For me though, the thing that really set the London apart was the honesty of a member of the cleaning staff who handed in my brand new iPhone, which I had left in the room. Maybe it's saying something about modern society, but I had little expectation of getting it back when I phoned up after check out to ask if anyone had found it. Unfortunately, I was not able to thank the member of staff in person, but I am truly grateful to them and the hotel. I will now always stay at the London when I am in NY.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Londontripadviser
Augustine S, London Ambassador at The London NYC, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Londontripadviser,

Wow! Thank you so much for your kind words and positive comments. We are so happy to hear that we were able to meet your expectations. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to Helen. We hope to have you back soon!

Augustine T. Saylee
London Ambassador
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights.with breakfast included. The room (suite) had the square footage BUT the first room they showed us did not have a dresser so unless you were a back packer forget it. The second room 1910 had a dresser and both a shower and bath (careful here as if you like one or the other request it when you reserve) but the furnishings were 1960s down to the lamp that comes from behind the couch and hits your head when you walk by. Needs a face lifting..Breakfast buffet was cold, small and disappointing, even the bagels were mini. Hey this is NYC the home of the bagel! We finally went across to the Carnegie Deli for a 'real' NY breakfast. The restaurant was under staffed and uncleaned tables caused lobg lines to get in for the buffet.The staff was helpful and the door men really worked getting cabs as needed. One bit of advise at night when you leave the hotel go east (toward 6th Ave) not West toward 7th as between the Hotel and 7th there were three panhandlers harrassing those walking by. Maze honestly was underwhelming and not up to the Gordon Ramsey levels of london.

Room Tip: Request the bathroom you want and make sure if you are staying for a few days that you get a room wi...
Dear Stephen S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your constructive criticism is valued, and it is one of the best ways for us to understand how we can enhance your guest experience in the future. Your comments will be passed along to each department involved, I would be happy to discuss this further with you so please reach out to me directly at 212-468-8860. We hope that next time you visit New York, you will give us an opportunity to make it up to you and make your stay flawless.

Augustine T. Saylee
London Ambassador
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have just returned from a four night stay at the London NYC. The hotel was recommended to me as a hotel with exceptionally spacious and comfortable rooms. The location is excellent, the lobby & lift area smart, the concierges extremely helpful and the restaurant, at which we only ate breakfast, was very good although very pricey. I do however, feel very let down by the room itself especially based upon our expectations. Our room on the 40th floor was at the very end of the corridor and we really did feel that we had been tucked away. The view was fabulous but the rest of it was very mediocre. Firstly the room was small with the bed taking up the majority of it. It was difficult to move comfortably around the room at the same time and my husband and I are not large people. The bathroom, though clean and smart, had no bath, which I expect as standard from an upmarket hotel, and only a shower. The sink was small and there was nowhere in the bathroom to place toiletries etc. The towels were all folded on a small shelf underneath the sink at floor level. There were two hooks to hang towels/robes on and whllst the hotel urges you to reuse towels (obviously unless they are dirty) to help the environment, there was not nearly enough adequate hanging space to put them, so the floor was really the only option. As far as clothes storage is concerned I was appalled. No cupboard, drawers, nothing. Just a relatively small rail in an open alcove with two cheap looking wire shelves above it. It was totally inadequate for a couple who had packed a normal amount of day and evening clothes for even a short trip. Storage for socks/undergarments/nightware etc was in our suitcase which remained on the floor in the corner. There was no safe in the room which is surprising as this is something you find in hotels of all levels. There was no mini bar in the room. We arrived late at night and were gasping for a drink of some description. We had to order room service to bring us hot drinks and water and had to wait half an hour or so for it to arrive. Upon arrival there should definitely be a couple of bottles of good quality water in the room, not to mention some fruits/chocolate etc. When we booked the hotel we booked a King room and I do feel that i have been slightly conned. The hotel is not cheap and I do feel that we have been given a slightly raw deal. We should have made more of a fuss at the hotel when we saw the room intially, but since we have returned and told friends who have stayed there for less money, what our room was like (they were hoping to hear us rave about it!) they have been quite shocked to hear how different our room was from those that they have stayed in. $3000 for a four night stay? Fine but at least a bottle of water and somewhere to decently hang your clothes shouldn't be too much to ask for.

Room Tip: Make sure you are very specific about the size of room you are getting. And ask for a view of Centra...
Cedar Falls, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Location is perfect if you want to be close to Times Square, Central Park and Rockefeller Center. The hotel is very beautiful with nice finishes! The staff was very friendly. We went to the hotel at 11 to valet our bags and they had rooms available and let us check-in that early. Our room was spacious - king bed, big bathroom/ shower and a separate area with a couch, desk and table.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
san francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have stayed at the London at least five times. I like the rooms very much; they are large and have a separate living area. Those with a view of central park are especially nice (worth a bit extra). Floors higher up are the best.
The location is great too.
But there is something wrong with the atmosphere among the staff in the main restaurant and breakfast area (Maze) and also with the staff at the Gordon Ramsey restaurant which is next door and part of the hotel. Rarely have I met such unfriendly staff, incl. for breakfast, lunch, drinks before dinner and dinner at Gordon Ramsey. Very strange. It didn't used to be like this when I first came to this hotel. For this reason I am not planning on staying there next time and will return to the Essex house hotel as an alternative.

Room Tip: views of central park, high floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends