“Lots of Space Little Else”
Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #208 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights.with breakfast included. The room (suite) had the square footage BUT the first room they showed us did not have a dresser so unless you were a back packer forget it. The second room 1910 had a dresser and both a shower and bath (careful here as if you like one or the other request it when you reserve) but the furnishings were 1960s down to the lamp that comes from behind the couch and hits your head when you walk by. Needs a face lifting..Breakfast buffet was cold, small and disappointing, even the bagels were mini. Hey this is NYC the home of the bagel! We finally went across to the Carnegie Deli for a 'real' NY breakfast. The restaurant was under staffed and uncleaned tables caused lobg lines to get in for the buffet.The staff was helpful and the door men really worked getting cabs as needed. One bit of advise at night when you leave the hotel go east (toward 6th Ave) not West toward 7th as between the Hotel and 7th there were three panhandlers harrassing those walking by. Maze honestly was underwhelming and not up to the Gordon Ramsey levels of london.

Room Tip: Request the bathroom you want and make sure if you are staying for a few days that you get a room wi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Augustine S, London Ambassador at The London NYC, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Stephen S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your constructive criticism is valued, and it is one of the best ways for us to understand how we can enhance your guest experience in the future. Your comments will be passed along to each department involved, I would be happy to discuss this further with you so please reach out to me directly at 212-468-8860. We hope that next time you visit New York, you will give us an opportunity to make it up to you and make your stay flawless.

Augustine T. Saylee
London Ambassador

Write a ReviewReviews (3,637)

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have just returned from a four night stay at the London NYC. The hotel was recommended to me as a hotel with exceptionally spacious and comfortable rooms. The location is excellent, the lobby & lift area smart, the concierges extremely helpful and the restaurant, at which we only ate breakfast, was very good although very pricey. I do however, feel very let down by the room itself especially based upon our expectations. Our room on the 40th floor was at the very end of the corridor and we really did feel that we had been tucked away. The view was fabulous but the rest of it was very mediocre. Firstly the room was small with the bed taking up the majority of it. It was difficult to move comfortably around the room at the same time and my husband and I are not large people. The bathroom, though clean and smart, had no bath, which I expect as standard from an upmarket hotel, and only a shower. The sink was small and there was nowhere in the bathroom to place toiletries etc. The towels were all folded on a small shelf underneath the sink at floor level. There were two hooks to hang towels/robes on and whllst the hotel urges you to reuse towels (obviously unless they are dirty) to help the environment, there was not nearly enough adequate hanging space to put them, so the floor was really the only option. As far as clothes storage is concerned I was appalled. No cupboard, drawers, nothing. Just a relatively small rail in an open alcove with two cheap looking wire shelves above it. It was totally inadequate for a couple who had packed a normal amount of day and evening clothes for even a short trip. Storage for socks/undergarments/nightware etc was in our suitcase which remained on the floor in the corner. There was no safe in the room which is surprising as this is something you find in hotels of all levels. There was no mini bar in the room. We arrived late at night and were gasping for a drink of some description. We had to order room service to bring us hot drinks and water and had to wait half an hour or so for it to arrive. Upon arrival there should definitely be a couple of bottles of good quality water in the room, not to mention some fruits/chocolate etc. When we booked the hotel we booked a King room and I do feel that i have been slightly conned. The hotel is not cheap and I do feel that we have been given a slightly raw deal. We should have made more of a fuss at the hotel when we saw the room intially, but since we have returned and told friends who have stayed there for less money, what our room was like (they were hoping to hear us rave about it!) they have been quite shocked to hear how different our room was from those that they have stayed in. $3000 for a four night stay? Fine but at least a bottle of water and somewhere to decently hang your clothes shouldn't be too much to ask for.

Room Tip: Make sure you are very specific about the size of room you are getting. And ask for a view of Centra...
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Location is perfect if you want to be close to Times Square, Central Park and Rockefeller Center. The hotel is very beautiful with nice finishes! The staff was very friendly. We went to the hotel at 11 to valet our bags and they had rooms available and let us check-in that early. Our room was spacious - king bed, big bathroom/ shower and a separate area with a couch, desk and table.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have stayed at the London at least five times. I like the rooms very much; they are large and have a separate living area. Those with a view of central park are especially nice (worth a bit extra). Floors higher up are the best.
The location is great too.
But there is something wrong with the atmosphere among the staff in the main restaurant and breakfast area (Maze) and also with the staff at the Gordon Ramsey restaurant which is next door and part of the hotel. Rarely have I met such unfriendly staff, incl. for breakfast, lunch, drinks before dinner and dinner at Gordon Ramsey. Very strange. It didn't used to be like this when I first came to this hotel. For this reason I am not planning on staying there next time and will return to the Essex house hotel as an alternative.

Room Tip: views of central park, high floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MTHSanFrancisco
Reviewed October 20, 2013

the vista suite, although $$$ is very beautiful and we had a very nice view in room 4401. It is also very quiet in the neighborhood, yet near so many wonderful NYC favorites. The staff seems very nice but we really didn't have many encounters with them. Now the bad news: the furnishings in the room are uncomfortable and getting a bit aged now. There could be at least a couple of bottles of water for free. There is no fan in the bathroom! There is a temperature control in the room, so it got very warm in our room at night. Hallways are dark. I will be more in depth about the poooooor service and food in the restaurant...don't bother! Chef Ramsey is clearly only a partner, and doesn't really care about the staff, the food or the customer.

Room Tip: Corner suites above the 40th on the 7th Ave. side of the building.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Augustine S, London Ambassador at The London NYC, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that your visit with us was less than expected. I would be happy to discuss this further with you so please reach out to me directly at 212-468-8860.

Regards,

Augustine T. Saylee
London Ambassador

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel--great spot. Bellman are helpful and have a of touch of "London" in them with their fedoras. The rooms are well equipped, flat screens, comfortable beds, spacious state of the art bathroom, nice separate living area in the suites, etc.. The bar /restaurant which is attached is a Gorden Ramsey restaurant so I imagine the food is also good, but didn't dine there ( just drank).

Highly recommend. Staff was friendly and it had all the little touches I require (I.e. Newspapers avail, cleanliness, modern decor, etc)

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dan T
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Let me start with the positives - friendly staff at check in; room was a room and not a suite - I went back to the London's website last night after checking in and realized my prior misunderstanding that all rooms were suites was incorrect. Regardless, room was clean & quiet (was on the 32nd floor) and the bathroom was great - double shower heads a nice feature. Was there on business so room was great for one person but would have been tight for two. Loved sitting at the chair by the window looking out over the city. Now the negatives - the blinds electronically open and shut and unfortunately, mine would not shut last night. Called down to the front desk when I was ready for bed (wish I had tried sooner but was enjoying the view until the time I went to bed!) and 30 minutes and another call later - a maintenance man was in my room for 20 minutes standing on furniture, etc. fixing the blinds. He stated multiple times how much he hated the blinds and how problematic they were ... shouldn't there be an override to be able to manually shut? Tough since I had to be up early the next morning for my meeting but would be nice and awake due to the a.m. coffee I had requested from the sign you hang on your door the night before ... except the sign wasn't picked up. The breakfast sign says to hang by 2 am and I had mine hung by 10 pm and it was still hanging there in the morning. And the best part - somehow my bill had made its way under the door meaning someone had been outside my door last night and never picked it up and turned it in. When I called down this morning and requested the order be delivered there was no apology once I stated the card was not picked up. Will I go back? Maybe - would see what other lodging is in the area as a comparison.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business