“The London @ New York”

Ranked #160 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“The London @ New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

The London NYC. Where to start? So much to talk about. So I booked a London Suite on the hotel's website. First of all it's the easiest hotel website I've ever visited. Took me less than 10 minutes to read about the hotel, check the different suites and book mine.
So I got to the hotel in a cab. The doorman opens the door for me and wow, what a shock! Italian mob style (in a positive way). All dressed in black well cut suit, coat and hat. I barely had time to pay the cab driver, that the doorman, welcomes me using my name!!!! Gold star to the doorman. As soon as I got in the London lobby, I felt I was somewhere else than the stressful New York we all know. Hey, I had to stop for a few seconds in the middle of the lobby just to enjoy the good smell, the perfect lighting, the relaxing lounge music and the nice painting behind the front desk. So I get to the desk to check in and the young girl behind the desk tells me it is not possible to check in before 3pm (check in time). Almost 600 suites and you can't accommodate a guest who comes in a couple of hours before? I asked to talk to the manager and a young man with a funny french accent came to the rescue. He found me a suite they call a corner suite on a high floor with a beautiful view of the Hudson River and Central Park and told me it'll be ready in half an hour. He explained me all the hotel amenities and invited me for a drink at the bar so I wouldn't have to wait under the rain. 30 minutes later, who comes back? The french guy with my keys. What a treatment. He escorted me to my suite, followed by the bellman and my bags. And what a suite. Separate bedroom from living room, big bathroom, 2 tvs. The interior designer not very inspired the day he worked on the hotel plans but it's still great. Gold star to the French guy. Made my day wonderful until I ordered dinner in my suite. I had to wait over 45 minutes for the wrong order to come up.
Let's talk about the food. Part 1, Room Service or in other words In Room Dining, not really interesting. Small portions. Added cost. Long wait. Forget about it. You're in New York. Ask the concierge, they'll send you somewhere. Part 2 of the dining experience at the London. Difficult to get a table in the Gordon Ramsay restaurant. Stayed 4 nights in the hotel and got a table at the casual dining once at 5:30... My advice, try to book a table in the restaurant long time in advance.
Well, if you want a nice relaxing large room in a well located hotel in Manahattan, you know where to go: The London; and for the food? Ask the blond guy at the Concierge desk. He's got some good contacts.

• Liked — location location location, free internet in suite, large room
  • Disliked — room service, trays in hall ways
1 Thank john_mitchell_g21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2008

Enjoyed 2 fantastic nights with my girlfriend in April 2008 prior to boarding the QE2. I knew i was not going to be disappointed as the hotel had been recommended by a very discerning English friend. Our room was on the 25 floor and was a "London Suite". I did not expect it to be a "real"suite,that is 2 separate rooms. The beds were incredibly comfortable with a quilted matress sheet. There was a dressing room area, and a bathroom with a double walk in shower. The staff could not have been nicer which was just as well as we arrived around midnight and i was not in the mood for hastle. The conceirge service was very helpful as my girlfriend had a list of shops to visit in a very busy 2 day schedule. The hotel is incidently excellently positioned for shopping and sightseeing. The downstairs restaurant and bar is mixed together which is a bit odd. That being said the full afternoon tea was fantastic and the lightest scones i have ever tasted (Mr Ramsey's reciepe i wondered) and breakfast was excellent. No vast portions thank godness for English appetites.
There aren't many hotels that i can say i would like to rush back to but the London was one of them.

• Liked — The stylish rooms
  • Disliked — Not enough draws in the dressing room area for 2 people
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2008

My husband & I stayed at The London for 3 weeks in April, 2008. We are very familiar with Manhattan hotels & apartments and this hotel definitely provides very spacious rooms for the price. The majority of rooms are suites and the square footage listed on the website is not an exaggeration. We stayed in a London Suite and had over 500 sq ft - Large living room with couch, desk & chair, separate area for mini bar & flat screen tv. Mirrored french doors separated it from the Bedroom which had its own flat screen. The bathrooms are huge. The bed & linens are very comfortable. We had a 3rd guest for one weekend & there was more than enough space for the 3 of us. (We asked for a cot because the couch is more decorative then comfortable) (Some people may be interested to know - there is No tea / coffee maker in the room, no chocolates at turndown, no newspapers delivered to your door. ) As other guests have noted - there are always mysterious mini bar charges on the bill. Check your folio daily to make sure you haven't been charged. Finally we had our mini bar locked by the manager to avoid any future debates because the charges kept adding up despite the fact we hadn't used the mini bar once!

The majority of the London Suites have No View or Light because they face an office building directly across the street. The best rooms are across the hall facing uptown, but there are no London Suites on the upper floors of that side. If you don't mind upgrading you should insist on a high floor & will have amazing views of Central Park & the GW Bridge! High floor, corner rooms on 7th Avenue have great Hudson River & NJ views.

Very limited room service menu & very small portions. I wasn't overly impressed by the food even though they are all Gordon Ramsey restaurants. Room Service trays often line the hallways - sometimes for almost 24hrs. Housekeeping staff will not take no for an answer if you don't want your room cleaned - if you have a "do not disturb" sign up - they will still continue to call repeatedly early in the morning! We requested a refrigerator because we were staying for so long, it broke. No others were available, but the next morning at 7am a member of staff showed up at our door. 7am is a bit early to be knocking on someone's hotel room door. We were also double charged for dry cleaning. Seems like the hotel has poor management.

If the gym is important to you - you will be very satisfied. It's open 24hr a day and is no extra charge. Free water bottles & earphones. Very modern machines - both cardio & weights - very spacious & clean gym. I have no complaints in this area.

While I was very impressed by the size & decor of the rooms and overall ambience of the hotel - I was extremely disappointed in the lack of service and attitude of staff. Everyone from the front desk attendants to the waitresses were extremely arrogant. I was told to hurry up during my afternoon tea (which I had mad a reservation for) because they wanted the table for another reservation - even though the restaurant was practically empty & I hadn't even been there an hour! Getting a waitress to order drinks at the London Bar takes at least 30 minutes and even then you are approached with an attitude. The specialty drink menu is not worth the wait or the price. I'm a native New Yorker & used to trendy places, but the attitude here overpowers the "coolness".

After 3 weeks of dealing with the attitudes of staff I could not wait to check out. I realized that the arrogance & lack of quality service could not be masked by David Collin's beautiful interior design. If you are looking for a trendy hotel & can look past the extremely rude staff, poor management & lack of quality service than you may like The London. If you expect to be greeted with a smile & treated like a paying guest - I would NOT recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Size of Rooms, Decor
  • Disliked — Poor Management, Attitudes of Staff, Lack of Service
4 Thank CBWS
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

Great location, great hotel and even better staff. We stayed at The London for three nights recently and will definately be coming back. The location is perfect for a broadway show or to dine at some great restaurants! Carnegie Hall, Central Park and MOMA are literally minutes away.

Check in was smooth and efficient and the concierge Jarod was an encyclopedia of NYC ! We ate at fantastic restaurants, saw 2 broadway shows and had a great time in the Meatpacking district (a must for night clubs!).

The rooms were spacious with beautiful hard wood floors and a fantastic dual shower. The views of central park are nice, although the higher floors are preferred for our next visit. We can't wait to visit again during the summer when we can try Gordon Ramsay.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2008

Great location, spacious suites, modern feel, great bathroom and amenities. I loved this hotel and hope to go back again.

• Liked — The suites.
  • Disliked — Rooms seemed dimly lit even with lights on.
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

We recently stayed at the London on a recommendation from a friend. From the start, we were pleased with everything. We were in NYC for a wedding, and I called ahead to request an early check-in. the front desk person- jason, was very attentive and helpful and said that he didn't think it would be a problem, and suggested we call ahead that day. We did, reached jason again, and were told everything was all set. Indeed, it was.

Our room, a regular London suite, was wonderful. I would guess it was about 500 sq ft. with a separate living area. Modern, but livable and nicely appointed, The LR had hardwood floors and the BR had carpeting- I liked that . French doors separated the 2 rooms. The bathroom was narrow and long and worked well for us. It did take quite a while for the water in the shower to heat up, but that was not a huge deal. As another poster stated, the room was very quiet. We were very comfortable- loved the bed, loved the pillows, I even fell asleep on the stiff sofa in the living room, so it must not have been that uncomfortable.

We often look at suite hotels for travel with our daughter who is still in a crib. The London would work wonderfully for us, as we would have had plenty of room for a pack n play in the LR.

Afternoon tea was part of our package through Amex and it was lovely. My waitress was excellent -- when she noticed my tea looked weak, she went and got me a new pot. I was ready to give her an extra tip when i was told that the gratuity was included in the package- so she did it just to be nice, not for an extra tip, which impressed me. The scones were unbelievable.

I don't particularly love that area-- it's a little too close to the theatre district for my tastes, but it was very close to central park and 5th avenue, so i can't really complain.

The only negative i can think of is the parking charge-- $55. next time we will self park in a nearby lot, as there are many of them.

• Liked — the room, the decor and the staff
  • Disliked — the parking fee
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank macamc
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2008

I just got back from a four night stay at The London NYC. I was traveling with my parents, so we had a two bedroom suite. We all enjoyed the hotel very much (though we agreed that they do some things better than others) and would highly recommend it.

First, the lobby is beautiful. It isn't large, nor is it a place to hang out (there aren't even any chairs there), so you can't sit around enjoying drinks with friends. But it is a nice place to meet friends before going out for the evening.

Our room was clean and beautifully designed. The sofa in the living area is not built for lounging. It isn't the sort of sofa you sink into, but is instead a bit formal. The genius of the sofa (which was curved and built into the wall like a banquette) is that it works in combination with the coffee table in front of it to create two entirely different rooms. With the table at coffee table height, you have a nice living room area. But the coffee table can be adjusted to raise it to the height of a dining room table so that your living room suddenly becomes a dining room if you want to eat in. It's genius!

There were wood floors in the living room.

The beds at The London NYC were super comfortable. If you, like me, are allergic to down pillows, you know that when you ask for the pillows in your room to be replaced with synthetic, what you usually get is a hard, uncomfortable piece of foam. Not so at the London NYC. The synthetic pillows they brought to my room were just as comfortable as down. I hate climbing into the bed only to find that the sheets are a poly-cotton blend. The all cotton sheets at the London NYC did not disappoint.

The bathrooms in our room were beautifully designed. Tile covered all the walls from floor to ceiling and was an attractive pale blue color that matched the rest of the room. The tile was sort of rough (I think it is called 'tumbled tile') and had a hand-finished look. In the larger of the two bedrooms there was a double shower and double sink. Both of the rooms had great shower heads with plenty of water pressure along with a handshower. There were bath products (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and bath gel) from Waterworks.

One thing we noticed about the hotel was how quiet it was. Granted, we were on the 39th floor, but there was almost no noise at all from the corridor either. I finally realized that the walls in the hallway were not painted, but instead had been wallpapered with a velvet-like fabric that I'm sure absorbed noise.

The staff was polite and attentive. I wanted some clothes to be laundered in house and brought to my room so they could hang to dry and the hotel graciously accommodated me.

The London NYC is about five blocks from Central Park and about two blocks from the Museum of Modern Art and close to Broadway plays. I hate Times Square, but you gotta admit it is convenient if you are there to see plays.

While we enjoyed our stay overall, we all agreed that the restaurant (owned by Gordon Ramsey, a celebrity chef from London) was pretentious and had an odd menu. Now, I'll readily admit that I am not an adventurous eater, but artichoke soup with frog legs...gag! And carpaccio of tuna and swordfish...or veal sweetbreads...double gag!!! The portions are extremely small, so you are encouraged to order several items and share if you want. The problems was, we couldn't find anything on the menu that appealed. Half the menu was cold food. I should have figured it out when I ordered a fish dish from the cold side of the menu, but I wasn't paying attention and what I got was basically sushi (which I *loathe*). I didn't eat it, and they never offered to remove it from the menu.

Room service was also ludicrously expensive. I ordered one order of pancakes, three scrambled eggs and a diet coke and the bill was $60. I know I was in Manhattan, but wow!

My advice is to stay at the hotel...it is comfortable, stylish and convenient...but avoid the restaurant and eat elsewhere.

• Liked — stylish, comfortable rooms, great staff
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family