“Loved the London”
Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #237 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 28, 2008

We recently stayed at the London on a recommendation from a friend. From the start, we were pleased with everything. We were in NYC for a wedding, and I called ahead to request an early check-in. the front desk person- jason, was very attentive and helpful and said that he didn't think it would be a problem, and suggested we call ahead that day. We did, reached jason again, and were told everything was all set. Indeed, it was.

Our room, a regular London suite, was wonderful. I would guess it was about 500 sq ft. with a separate living area. Modern, but livable and nicely appointed, The LR had hardwood floors and the BR had carpeting- I liked that . French doors separated the 2 rooms. The bathroom was narrow and long and worked well for us. It did take quite a while for the water in the shower to heat up, but that was not a huge deal. As another poster stated, the room was very quiet. We were very comfortable- loved the bed, loved the pillows, I even fell asleep on the stiff sofa in the living room, so it must not have been that uncomfortable.

We often look at suite hotels for travel with our daughter who is still in a crib. The London would work wonderfully for us, as we would have had plenty of room for a pack n play in the LR.

Afternoon tea was part of our package through Amex and it was lovely. My waitress was excellent -- when she noticed my tea looked weak, she went and got me a new pot. I was ready to give her an extra tip when i was told that the gratuity was included in the package- so she did it just to be nice, not for an extra tip, which impressed me. The scones were unbelievable.

I don't particularly love that area-- it's a little too close to the theatre district for my tastes, but it was very close to central park and 5th avenue, so i can't really complain.

The only negative i can think of is the parking charge-- $55. next time we will self park in a nearby lot, as there are many of them.

1  Thank macamc
Write a ReviewReviews (3,718)

Reviewed April 23, 2008

I just got back from a four night stay at The London NYC. I was traveling with my parents, so we had a two bedroom suite. We all enjoyed the hotel very much (though we agreed that they do some things better than others) and would highly recommend it.

First, the lobby is beautiful. It isn't large, nor is it a place to hang out (there aren't even any chairs there), so you can't sit around enjoying drinks with friends. But it is a nice place to meet friends before going out for the evening.

Our room was clean and beautifully designed. The sofa in the living area is not built for lounging. It isn't the sort of sofa you sink into, but is instead a bit formal. The genius of the sofa (which was curved and built into the wall like a banquette) is that it works in combination with the coffee table in front of it to create two entirely different rooms. With the table at coffee table height, you have a nice living room area. But the coffee table can be adjusted to raise it to the height of a dining room table so that your living room suddenly becomes a dining room if you want to eat in. It's genius!

There were wood floors in the living room.

The beds at The London NYC were super comfortable. If you, like me, are allergic to down pillows, you know that when you ask for the pillows in your room to be replaced with synthetic, what you usually get is a hard, uncomfortable piece of foam. Not so at the London NYC. The synthetic pillows they brought to my room were just as comfortable as down. I hate climbing into the bed only to find that the sheets are a poly-cotton blend. The all cotton sheets at the London NYC did not disappoint.

The bathrooms in our room were beautifully designed. Tile covered all the walls from floor to ceiling and was an attractive pale blue color that matched the rest of the room. The tile was sort of rough (I think it is called 'tumbled tile') and had a hand-finished look. In the larger of the two bedrooms there was a double shower and double sink. Both of the rooms had great shower heads with plenty of water pressure along with a handshower. There were bath products (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and bath gel) from Waterworks.

One thing we noticed about the hotel was how quiet it was. Granted, we were on the 39th floor, but there was almost no noise at all from the corridor either. I finally realized that the walls in the hallway were not painted, but instead had been wallpapered with a velvet-like fabric that I'm sure absorbed noise.

The staff was polite and attentive. I wanted some clothes to be laundered in house and brought to my room so they could hang to dry and the hotel graciously accommodated me.

The London NYC is about five blocks from Central Park and about two blocks from the Museum of Modern Art and close to Broadway plays. I hate Times Square, but you gotta admit it is convenient if you are there to see plays.

While we enjoyed our stay overall, we all agreed that the restaurant (owned by Gordon Ramsey, a celebrity chef from London) was pretentious and had an odd menu. Now, I'll readily admit that I am not an adventurous eater, but artichoke soup with frog legs...gag! And carpaccio of tuna and swordfish...or veal sweetbreads...double gag!!! The portions are extremely small, so you are encouraged to order several items and share if you want. The problems was, we couldn't find anything on the menu that appealed. Half the menu was cold food. I should have figured it out when I ordered a fish dish from the cold side of the menu, but I wasn't paying attention and what I got was basically sushi (which I *loathe*). I didn't eat it, and they never offered to remove it from the menu.

Room service was also ludicrously expensive. I ordered one order of pancakes, three scrambled eggs and a diet coke and the bill was $60. I know I was in Manhattan, but wow!

My advice is to stay at the hotel...it is comfortable, stylish and convenient...but avoid the restaurant and eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank hip_hotels_4_me
Reviewed April 21, 2008

We were in town for the weekend and chose the London based on several recommendations --we were not disappointed. It was fantastic. The location is just perfect. Near EVERYTHING! The place is clean, beautifully decorated and the staff -- wonderful. The suite was on the 35th floor so zero noise. We had cocktails in the bar -- service was great at the bar and the drinks were great too. We had snacks at the tables in the lounge --service was snailish but not bad enough to dampen our mood. We had breakfast included in our room rate -- $379 per night in a suite in NY? seriously amazing value! The food was very good. We didn't eat in the restaurants however -- maybe next time..but honestly with such a great location, there are so many options. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. It really is that good:)

Reviewed April 19, 2008

INCREDIBLE room service. Chef Gordon Ramsey's London restaurant is downstairs. Very great location in the city. Walking distance to Times Square and the theater.

The ONLY con is the uncomfortable couch in the living area. Low back with no armrests - hotel rooms should be function first and design second. But, the room itself is incredible.

Highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank FastPass
Reviewed April 15, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the London NYC for four nights in early April 2008. We are frequent visitors to New York from Ireland (we have been there twice a year for the last five years or so) and we have generally stayed at the Waldorf=Astoria (although the first time we stayed at the UN Plaza Hotel and wouldn't recommend that).

As we were travelling this time with my sister-in-law, we wanted to get a two-bedroom suite and the LondonNYC seemed to offer the best price (I think it was $917++ per night). We generally stay in a one-bedroom king suite in the WA at about $750++ per night so the charge seemed reasonable.

The day before the trip I started to get cold feet about the hotel as many of the reviews on TripAdvisor seemed to be negative, especially those reviews which mentioned that the hotels PR people had been making up positive reviews on the site. When I checked last minute (ie 27 hours before check-in) the price of the two-bedroom suite had dropped slightly and I even found the WA had two-bedroom suites at $100 less per night. I almost changed but decided it would be too much hassle bearing in mind my sister-in-law was travelling from London.

In retrospect, I am glad that I didn't change the reservation as the hotel was excellent. The location was absolutely superb - much better than the WA - especially as my wife and I like to shop in midtown and the hotel is very close to the heart of Fifth Avenue. It was also quite close to Central Park and Columbus Circle was only a short distance away.

The hotel itself has a relatively modest lobby which does not provide any opportunities for sitting and relaxing unlike the WA. However, it is quite personable and I found the staff helpful and approachable. We used the services of the concierge just the once (to arrange a minivan to take us and our extra luggage to the airport) and this was accomplished with a minimum of fuss. We also asked for a travel power adapter as we had left our own at home and this was provided immediately and with no fuss (we had the same problem last year at the WA and ended up having to buy one from the gift shop - bit irritating).

The bar is quite any attractive space and was lively in the evenings. I felt it was a very pleasant aspect of the hotel. The service was a bit patchy and some of the food service was slow. We had bar food on three occasions and I wouldn't rave about it although it was alright. Can't really comment on prices but they seemed okay.

The room itself was quite nice - the two-bedroom suite is actually a one-bedroom suite with an associated queen room. The two rooms are accessed by the one external door which opens into a small hallway off the hotel corridor which then has two doors, one leading into each room. I imagine that when the rooms are rented seperately the external door is left open. We took the suite and my sister-in-law had the queen room.

I was initally a bit disappointed with the room as it was smaller than our WA room (although at approx $450 per night for the one-bedroom part of the suite on its own it compares very favourably with the WA suite). However, as the stay went on I grew to like the room a lot. My wife, who generally dislikes modern interiors, really liked the room and was very comfortable and happy with it. The bathroom especially was excellent with two showers (no bath) and a very nice washbasin set up. However, the door from the bathroom to the bedroom was a slide-over and wouldn't stay shut. Although annoying, it wasn't much of a problem as the door itself didn't open directly out into the bedroom but rather to the closet area. However, I can imagine this being a problem for some people. We didn't bother complaining or trying to have it fixed.

The closet area was a bit sparse for a room of this size. The closet unit itself was a mobile unit with open sides and relatively little storage space. They have room to make a larger closet in the space and this would enhance the room.

The bathrobes were excellent - I'm a big guy and this was the first hotel bathrobe that actually fitted me for many years.

The in-room entertainment was average with an ipod clock-radio and plasma screen televisions. The work desk was quite good and, in contrast to another review on this site, I found the chair to be pretty comfortable.

The bed was excellent although a little bit on the soft side for me.

The room also had a safe which is a feature missing in the WA.

I used the gym on three occasions and found it to be excellent - streets ahead of the WA. I think the hotel must have access to a pool as well as there was a suggestion in the hotel guide that the concierge could arrange this quite easily.

We didn't use room service so can't comment. The turndown service was exactly what you would expect of a hotel of this standard.

When on holidays we always eat breakfast in the hotel but on this occasion we felt the pricing was quite steep for what was on offer (a bowl of cornflakes for $14??). We generally had a light breakfast in the Metro Cafe across the street or in the Irish Pub which was excellent and very reasonable.

All in all I feel this is an excellent four-star hotel (I think it's four-star) and would compare very favourably with many of the five-star hotels we have stayed in around the world. It wouldn't be up to Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental standards but wouldn't be in these price brackets anyway.

I would recommend anyone to stay in the LondonNYC to experience something quite civilised.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Patrick O
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Just back from this great ilttle gem in midtown manhattan. Have no negatives about this hotel - food, rooms, location, service etc all excellent. We will be back!

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I stayed at the London for a long weekend and it was amazing! Great location, within walking distance of all the great shops. We saw two Broadway shows and walked to those as well. All the staff were great, friendly, etc. Our room was fantastic. If you like your hotel room to have a more modern, different-than-all-the-others design, you will love the rooms here! The bathroom was great (2 showers), comfortable bed, plenty of space. I love the suite layout, its like having your own apartment. We ate breakfast a few mornings in their restaurant, it was very good. We also had the afternoon tea, and that was great as well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2008