“Cool hotel, great service”
Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #180 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 22, 2008

Stayed at the London for two nights in Feb with my husband and we were both really impressed. The staff upgraded us to a suite for our wedding anniversary, and a bottle of wine was waiting for us in the room - nice touch. Really really friendly staff too. Best bit though was the room - for NY standards, well, by any standards, it was huge, with a separate sitting area - handy if one of you is jetlagged and the other wants to watch tv! We didn't have an amazing view, but it was NY enough, skyscrapers etc, and to be honest, it didn't really matter because the room was so good. Small attention to detail was good too - earplugs, slippers, nice toiletries etc etc - we stayed in the Soho Grand for a couple of days too, and you don't get nearly as much value for money. Location is easy, you're a five minute walk from 5th Ave, Rockefeller centre, theatre district etc, or it's just a stroll up a couple of blocks to central park. If you want breakfast out of the hotel, there are lots of diner places around the corner. The London - thoroughly recommended, and would go back.

which is good if one of you is suffering jet lag and wants to goFor NY, the room was huge,

Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HeddiBrighton
There are newer reviews for The London NYC

Reviewed February 11, 2008

This is an excellent modern hotel, situated in a great location in NYC, with beautiful suite's, very large for NYC standards and excellent service.

We just stayed for one night, but were impressed with everything the hotel offered from breakfast to afternoon tea. The staff were ever attentive always willing to help.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for some class at a reasonable price in NYC.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank busjgh
Reviewed February 5, 2008

This is my 3rd trip to NYC and The London NYC really trumps all the other hotels (last stays were at the Soho Grand and The Roger William).

The space for a Manhattan hotel is excellent. The location is superb (two blocks down is Broadway). Even the hair dryer provided is fab. It's a nice powerful Conair, like the ones they use at salons, and not some puny excuse for one.

I checked in with nary a problem. Very efficient and quick. From what I was made to understand, all the rooms are suites. So what you get is a nice sitting area and french doors that lead to your bed, a bathroom area (that features a lovely rainforest shower head) and an ensuite wardrobe. What you see on the hotel's official website is truly what you get.

I managed to dine at the Gordon Ramsay restaurant downstairs. Well, actually the London Bar with the food provided by the restaurant and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. I find most Michelin star type restaurants quite disappointing. The seafood was fresh (try the scallops!), meats were beautifully done, and the beverage list is great.

Overall, with the exception of the astronomical price, I would really recommend this hotel.

One thing: Bring the earplugs if noise is an issue. Like most Manhattan hotels, by 530am onwards, the city comes alive with a loud roar.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank meiling_9
Reviewed January 28, 2008

PROS: Great location for quiet (quiet in the middle of NYC, that is) but very close to shopping, Times Square, restaurants, etc. The suite was beautiful, the bed comfortable and the bathroom gorgeous (despite the fact that there was no fan and the door doesn't close the whole way.

CONS: The couch was uncomfortable, the lights all need to be turned on by hand so its pretty dark walking into the room, the concierge didn't have a lot of suggestions for good restaurants, the business center charged expensive rates to use the Internet (would have been nice to be able to quickly check email or look up a restaurant that was recommended to us).

Overall I would recommend the London NYC. I've stayed in far worse places in NYC -- this was clean, comfortable (except for the couch!) and well-situated.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scoonud
Reviewed January 27, 2008

After the Righa, the London is a hyped and overrated place that simply does not deliver. The rooms look nice, but the seating is uncomfortable, the room lacks light switches and besides big, has nothing fancy. The service is poor, newspapers cannot be delivered to the room, billing errors are not corrected and if you call about that, the only people that can correct it, is accounting - but they are not easily reached, certainly not during European day time.
I visit Manhattan 6-8 times per year, know the hotel market well and for this money you can do much better. Smaller and more comfortable rooms with better service can be had for less.
The Righa was a place I used frequently, the London will be just once and never again

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2008

My husband originally selected this hotel so that we could dine at the Gordon Ramsay restaurant. He selected a weekend that had reservation availability that coincided with both my birthday and anniversary. Lucky me. The meal and service was divine. We were told that many folks from the UK fly out specifically to dine at the restaurant because it's so difficult to get reservations in the UK. So for those of you who want to dine, please do yourself a favor and make a reservation like the rest of us and not think that because you are hotel guests staying for whatever duration that you can just get reservations.

We had arrived @ 8 am and luckily there was a room available. The front desk staff were very helpful and courteous. They saw that we were jet lagged and issued a room key immediately and wished us a pleasant nap. The bellhop put a Do not Disturb sign when he left so that we could catch up on some sleep. The bed was comfortable,large. We especially like the blinds that darkened the rooms. When we needed a late check out, no problem, the front desk took care of it, at no extra charge.

The bathroom had the largest shower I've ever seen that had his/hers shower heads on each side. The sink counter was more than ample to hold everything you could possibly need in a bathroom so I'm confused on how someone's razor could drop in the toilet. Our toilet was behind the shower and no where near the sink counters.

I am amazed that people fault how pricey the bar and tea service was. This is New York City. You are on vacation. My goodness they pass along higher prices so that they can pay the rent, the salaries that are demanded for a central location such as this. It's basic economics. There are a lot of other economic options outside of the hotel, Starbucks, the corner grocery store, and even outside of NYC so why bother coming to downtown NYC?

The hotel is centrally located so we did not need a taxi and were able to walk to the theatre to see our show and to the major shopping areas.

All in all, it was one of the best birthdays I've celebrated. So we will be back, and yes, back to the London NYC.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnnHS
Reviewed January 23, 2008

I spent many days browsing reviews on this site before I booked this hotel, and I was not disappointed. This hotel is wonderful. I took their most basic room, and it was large (esp. for NYC) and new and chic and spotlessly clean. I can't believe the size of the shower stalls (with two different kinds of shower heads, one on each end of a long stall). The suite was so spacious and had so many great features. Where do I begin ? Maybe just look at the photos I took. This hotel is close to all the great shopping (5th Avenue, Saks, Bloomingdales, Bergdorf's, Barneys), Rockefeller Centre, Broadway, Central Park, and so many more great places.
The hotel itself includes a Gordon Ramsay restaurant and a great cocktail bar. The bed was so comfortable I could have stayed in all weekend. The hotel staff were all very helpful.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo