“I'm an Avid Gyu Kaku Supporter!”

Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ Dining
Reserve with OpenTable
Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ Dining is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,666 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Cooper Sq. / 3rd Ave (between E.5th & E. 6th)
Transit: 6 train at Astor Place R,W train at 8th Street
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I live in Manhattan and tend to have a lot of visitors from all over. The first place I take them to is Gyu Kaku. It's a lovely group experience. If you go during happy hour which is typically between 4-6 if i'm not mistaken, most items are 50% off which is a steal! I recommend their fillet mignon and garlic chicken noodles, also the Chateaubriand and shrimp dumplings are delicious. This is hands down my favorite Asian (and even non-Asian) restaurant in the city!!

Also service is superb. You will get your food within minutes after placing your order.

There are newer reviews for Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ Dining

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I've been invited for lunch at this Gyu-Kaku by a dear friend, the place is very warm and friendly, the staff are very helpful and makes you feel very welcomed. Once entered we were greeted and seated right away, The waiter was very nice and offered help, but without being pushy. We ordered meat and garlic steak were we had to make the BBQ ourselves. The food was super delicious. I would definitely repeat the experience when I am back in NY again.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is the second of the three locations in Manhattan that I have visited. Although this location is bigger, I liked the one on the Upper East Side better. Both locations had a majority of the same items but the one on the Upper East Side seemed to have a few extra items that I truly enjoyed.
The food is fresh and absolutely delicious. A really fun atmosphere. I find the pricing to be within range for the cuts of meat you are getting and for it being in the big bad NYC! HAHA! The service is above and beyond excellent. Everyone is very friendly and knowledgeable. The portion size that you receive is basically your "standard" serving that most people should be eating. You know the 3 oz deck of cards type of deal. I do recommend you getting at least 2 meats and a side either veggies, rice or noodles.
MUST HAVES: Chicken Garlic Noodles, Kobe Flank Steak, Green Tea Crepes
Atmosphere is very casual and trendy. Great for groups, business outing or a romantic date.
Next to visit the Time Square location.
Oh yeah...get their rewards card if you enjoyed your meal too. It's a one time fee of a $1, however, I did not get charged for mine and for every $500 you spend you get $25 off your meal.
Visit during Happy Hour they give you really good pricing!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We booked a birthday party for 3 10 year olds and 4 adults. We were put in a corner in the far reaches of the restaurant, given a bench so half our party couldn't reach the flame and although there were many empty tables, they refused to give us adjacent tables to accomodate our party. The staff was surly and upset the kids. Too bad because the mid-town east location has always been great for our kids' b-d parties. Stay away from the village location.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We went on a Friday night so the place was really hopping. I had to call as we were running late and had a reservation, but they were fine about it. We were warmly greeted and seated right away. Our waiter was very helpful, lots of fun and super attentive throughout. He made excellent suggestions and we took him up on quite a few of them. You pretty much cook most of your own dinner here which is part of the fun. The grills are in the middle of the tables, You order and they bring out everything already sliced and seasoned and you cook it to your own liking. It's easy and fun. This is definitely a party place though, so going with a group makes it a lot more fun. A special thanks to our waiter Karma, who made us feel so welcome and special. I recommend the mojitos, the sake, and the green tea 'mille feuille' type dessert. I'm not a big dessert person but I finished mine!