“You can't beat the location!”

Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue
Ranked #296 of 466 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“You can't beat the location!”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

For the price of my room and it's smack in the middle of mid-town, you get to save on subway/cab fares. You can basically walk the equidistant between Columbus Circle (Uptown) and Union Square (Downtown) in approximately the same amount of time.

If you're visiting as a tourist, you could walk up and down on different avenues next to 5th Ave. and you've basically have hit most attractions while on the way! Not to mention that Empire State Building is down the block and shoppers - Macy's is down an avenue.

For those who are here for work, even better, it's 10-mins away from Times Square, same as business district of Bryant Park.

There's a Starbucks conveniently right on the street level. A library is behind the building, in case you need a place to work, faster Wi-Fi speeds, reference materials.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Arnold W M
Kevin F, General Manager at Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Arnold,
Thanks so much for highlighting our location. You can walk down 5th avenue and hit most major attractions. Nice to hear positive words from a native New Yorker.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We loved this hotel for many reasons. Excellent location, central midtown, 1 block from the Empire state bldg. and 1 block from Herald Square Subway station, very convenient to visit central and upper Manhattan, as well as all lower Manhattan quarters, weather it´s walking or by subway.
Service is good and nice, coffee machine in the room, clean, comfortable and cozy.
Rooms are rather small, but pretty enough decent size to accomodate properly, worth the price.
I liked the fact that this hotel lacks a big lobby and has no big fancy hotel environment, wich made me feel like staying in an apartment.
We would definitely return to Hotel 373, and 100% recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ClusterOne13
Kevin F, General Manager at Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Cluster,
Great observation about our lobby! Our hope is that you feel at home. Thanks again.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We loved the Hotel 373. Having stayed in quite a few upmarket, uptown hotels the last time we visited the City, this time round we opted for a more central location to allow us to visit the lower tip of Manhattan comfortably too. It is basically across the street from the Empire State Building - a short walk away from the peak of Fifth Avenue and a short taxi-ride to downtown Manhattan.

The hotel is a no-frills property, but it offers all you need, even though the room was a tad small - we could not complain for the price.

OK, there is no large, fancy lobby, and the entrance is shared with Starbucks, but it's a very small price to pay unless you have a habit of hanging out in lobbies (I don't). Would definitely return to Hotel 373, and recommend it wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Ask for 907, you won't be disappointed - it's meant to be the best room in the property and...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iamrik
Rick,
Thanks so much for hitting all of our strong point! We really appreciate your kind words and we hope to see you again.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This hotel has a great location. It's located near by lots of shopping opportunities, and the hotel got a deal with the deli in the next door buliding. This gives you free breakfast each day (bagel and a juice), which is okay. The staff was fine, and the room were clean and cozy. The only thing which could be a problem, is, if you're a light sleeper, you may have a problem falling asleep, due to traffic and road works.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunnark
Sunnark,
Thanks so much for your honest words. We are in the middle of the hub so it can get noisy but as you said the shopping makes up for it!
Hanover, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Almost everything about this hotel impressed me. I arrived several hours prior to the posted check-in time, just hoping to drop off my luggage - but the very helpful gentleman at the front desk let me check in right away. The room was spotless and extremely comfortable. Yes, it was small, but perfectly adequate for one person. There was only one chair, and very little counter space in the bathroom, so it might have been a bit tight for two. (That said, I'd absolutely prefer a cramped-but-nice room here to a spacious-but-questionable room elsewhere.)

Every staff member I encountered during my 3-day stay was wonderful. When I needed an iron & ironing board (website said this was included, but it wasn't in the room), someone dropped it off less than 5 minutes after I asked at the desk. Everyone was polite & seemed happy to answer any questions I had.

I was pleasantly surprised at all the included amenities, for a relatively low price. Wireless internet was free and worked perfectly, and I received vouchers for daily breakfast at the cafe next door. There was a coffee/tea maker, and bottled water, provided in the room, and both were replenished daily.

I had only two minor complaints: lack of iron/ironing board (which was remedied immediately), and a noisy a/c unit. It worked perfectly well, but cycled on & off every minute or so. I had to turn it off so I could sleep, but the room stayed comfortable all night without it. I had expected some noise from the hallway or street, but didn't notice any.

Location is ideal - close to Grand Central and several subway stops, and a wide range of dining options nearby. There's also a 24-hr drugstore less than 2 blocks away, and the neighborhood felt safe at all hours.

I'd definitely stay here again, and will recommend it to family or friends who visit NYC in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Bethany M
Bethany,
Thanks so much for your in-depth review of our property. The staff is our best asset and we appreciate you acknowleding it. Thanks again!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights prior to our cruise. We almost walked straight past the front door as it is poorly signed compared to most NY hotels. On entering there were 2 staff on the front desk. Check in was quick enough thankfully as if there had been more than us trying to check in we would have to have stood outside. The reception area is tiny with only the front desk. Through the glass wall is the Starbucks so it really is like being in a fishbowl! There is no security at all at the hotel - anyone can walk in and have access to the rooms upstairs. No one checks your room key when you walk in.

After check in we went up to our room. When we walked in I could've cried! In order for both of us to get into the room, we had to put both our holdalls onto the bed. There is literally no room to swing a cat! We didn't even bother to unpack as there is nowhere to put anything. The "wardrobe" consisted of a few coat hangers on a coat rail attached to the wall! After spending 5 minutes in the room, I cancelled our reservation for our 2 nights after our cruise. The thought of spending any more nights here filled me with dread! I'm not claustrophobic but I would imagine this is the closest I'd get to sleeping in a prison cell - a 6 × 6 box!!

After we returned for the night, the room was absolutely freezing and we couldn't get the air conditioning unit to work. Once we managed to get it to blow hot air, we couldn't hear the TV, which was only 5 feet from us. We had to turn the air conditioning unit off to sleep but woke up freezing cold so decided no sleep was better than freezing to death.

Also, if you're taller than 5ft 8 then your feet will hand out the end of the bed. Also don't get up during the night as you will injure yourself off the air conditioning unit which is right next to the bed!

When it came to leave, I was blow drying my hair (with their hairdryer) when all the electrics blew in the room! I mentioned it when we checked out and she didn't seem surprised!

All in all I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Even location isn't the best. After cancelling our 2nd reservation we booked the Candlewood near Times Square and it was brilliant! Try there instead!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HolzKaz
Holzkaz,
Thanks so much for your review. We are apologetic that we couldn't meet your expectations. Thanks again for giving us a shot.
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Had a great two night stay here after being delayed due to weather. Staff was great, and we were able to carry over the initial rate we found on hotels.com to the second night.
Convenient to Empire State Bldg, Grand Central Station.... Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
Chromedome,
Thanks for staying with us during the bad weather. We hope you arrived home safely and that you will visit again.