“a wonerful exprience!”

U Hotel Fifth Avenue
Ranked #298 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My friend& I recently came back from a 4 days stay at Hotel 373.
The hotel is located in one of the best ares of the city- allows you to walk almost everywhere and to exprience the rush of the city.
But from my point of view the greatest thing is the staff!
Nikki, Sherlin, Johen, BB& Sthpeny- the are wonderful and helpful in every time of the day! they make an effort to make sure your vecation will be amazing.
thank you!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank einat t
gdesoiza, General Manager at U Hotel Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you Einat t!
It's always great when a guest identifies a staff member. It's overwhelming and fantastic that you recognized 5. We try really hard to stay on top of our guest needs and it's so rewarding to have our efforts recognized. I hope you get a chance to revisit us; when you come to NY again.
Please contact me personally when you do.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed one night in king room on 1/4/13. Arrived a half hour before check-in time and room was available. Also asked to check out a half hour late and was accomodated with no problem once again by Bibi at the front desk. She was very pleasant to work with and answered any questions we had. Encountered other staff in hallway and on the elevator who were very pleasant as well.

Room is small but very clean in nice Midtown location. Walked everywhere. Got breakfast at Starbucks next door and dinner at Franchia (vegetarian) on Park Ave. nearby . When staying at the hotel you are given discount coupons for another nearby restaurant. Though no closet per se, there was an area with several wooden hangars to hang up suit and coat etc. and set of drawers and a desk to work at. Bathroom had a blowdryer and Philosophy brand soap/shampoo etc which was a nice touch. Bibi mentioned that they could bring up an iron if we needed one. Single sink with shower/curtain setup. Bed was comfortable. As I had read about street noise in previous reviews, I was concerned, but turned on the A/C-Heater window unit to fan and let it run on low for white noise. No fitness room. Did not spend too much time in the room, so this hotel worked out well as a base for exploring the city and would be good for a short stay business traveller. Just booked it again for a February appointment in Midtown.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NYtraveler110

I can tell by your review that you've been with us before and since you travelling back in February: I should mention a couple things for your next visit. 1) Many of our rooms do have a built in wall closet and some even have armoires. If you send us a request, there's a very good chance you'll get what you need. 2) We have an arrangement with New York Sports Clubs, located around the corner on Madison avenue (1 block from the hotel). For $10 you can have access to a state of the art facility and even take a fitness, yoga, pilates or spinning class.
Please feel free to send us an email or contact me personally.
In fact, if you'll permit me: I'll treat you to a NYSC Day pass.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I booked this hotel using my AA skymiles so I ended up paying about $60 per night after using 37000 miles. I had read the reviews and was actually looking at higher priced hotels, but I ended up booking this one due to the price and the location (and due to the positive TA reviews).

Overall, I had a pleasant stay. I have been to NY about 5 times before and I knew we weren't going to be spending much time in the room so I booked a hotel that was reasonably priced and in a good location. Everything was fine. The room was a bit on the small side as we had 2 large suitcases, 2 carry ons and our winter attire, but it was manageable for three nights. I would not recommend the full room as it was TINY. There is no place to put your luggage if you more than 2 suitcases.

Positives:
-Great location, very central
-Cheap(er)
-Clean
-Free wi-fi
-Friendly staff

Negatives:
-It was a bit noisy at night (I was on the 8th floor) but it didn't bother me too much.
-Room size (again, you get what you pay for)

* Around the corner, there is a Greek restaurant called, Meli, which is delicious and beautiful and a few blocks south there is a great little Thai restaurant with very friendly staff.

I think this hotel is perfect for solo travelers, no-frill couples, and friends.

Room Tip: Go for the contemporary queen or larger if you have more than one piece of large luggage.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you '1foreigner"!
I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself. It's true that our rooms can be a bit challenging, but as you stated and recommended: We have some lightly larger rooms. Many of our rooms have some drawer space and built in closets. So we can store your empty suitcases until your departure.
I'm glad that you enjoyed Meli and the restaurants in the area. There are pleny of choices.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed there the first time and were totally satisfied. Due to earlier research we knew that we "have to expect" smaller rooms, no restaurant, etc. - so no disappointment after our arrival.

Due to a "Facebook Upgrade" we got free coupons for breakfast in the Oxford Cafe next door (also a very good place) - ask for it!

Only thing we could mention here was the little bit noisy air-con, other than that: super-friendly staff, "clinical" clean rooms, etc.

That there is noise from the street should be everyone clear... it is at 5th Ave, which also means in a more or less perfect location to explore NYC mostly by foot.

We would always come back to the 373 Hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
gdesoiza, General Manager at U Hotel Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you Peter D!
I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself. You can't ask for a better perception of a hotel stay (clinical clean) than that. It's very important that guests read the social media to be aware of our strengths and limitations, so they can enjoy themselves and allow us to entertain them (restaurants, nightlife, sightseeing) and recommend our neighboring businesses and partnerships.
We really appreciate your comments about our "super friendly staff". Pleae consider us again in the future.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Served its purpose well. Centrally located, very small rooms and lobby but decent price for NYC. Staff was OK, some helpful, some slow. The food options around are limited, but the Starbucks in lobby was handy. Next visit to NYC, I would spend more money and get a real boutique hotel with more charm and nearby better restaurants or at least one onsite.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks LuigiSydney,
I really appreciate your taking time to write a review of our property. I encourage you to contact me about any staff member that you felt were slow. Most of our review rave about our service and I'd be interested in knowing what made you feel less than satisfied.
In terms of restaurants, there are quite a few Top Zagat rated restaurants. I'm sorry if you weren't made aware of them. Sushi Sen-nin, Blue Smoke Barbeque, Ai Fiori, Artisanal, Wolfgang's, Szechuan Gourmet, Kang Suh, and Lazarra's are withing blocks.
I look forward to speaking with you further.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

They just about squeezed a queen bed into the room. Took a bit of planning to get dressed and negotiate the suitcases. This is the room size you are likely to get from a price comparison site. Certainly looking at the fire exit plan we we in the smallest cupboard, sorry room, they have.

But it was clean, bed comfortable and of course right on 5th Ave in Midtown. So great for shopping and we weren't planing on spending much time in the room. Great for a short stay.

Staff were friendly and helpful and there's direct access to the Buckys next door.

Room Tip: Cheap rooms on price comparison sites will be tiny. Pay more if you want more.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you Mr. Ecosse
I really appreciate your review and comments. I'm glad that you had a great experience with us (despite our room size). For the future: We do have some slighly larger room sizes, Perhaps we can get you into one next time.
In any case your spot on about our cleanliness and our location. We really try to be a fantastic value and I'm really glad that you appreciated our staff

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Fab location made up for the tiny rooms. Whilst not stocked with every amenity (iron, shower cap etc), a quick call to reception followed by swift delivery was impressive. Great Midtown location for after work shopping and sightseeing, literally in the shadow of the Empire State Bldg and Lord & Taylor can been seen from the foyer.

Room Tip: Breakfast voucher can be used in the diner next door. They will swap items if you ask them nicely!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thanks Marie,
I surprised to hear that there wasn't a shower cap in your amenity basket. I'm glad that we were able to give you one upon request. We normally supply ironing boards and irons upon request, because (as you mentioned) our rooms are considered small and we don't want them to appear cluttered. I'm glad to hear that our staff impressed you and that you enjoyed our location.
It's true about the breakfast coupons. Although you get 6 basic choices from our neighbor Oxford Cafe: They're usually willing to do substitutions; especially when you ask nicely.
Nice and easy does it everytime.
I hope that we'll see you again in the not too distant future.