“Great location on 5th Ave!”

Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue
Ranked #288 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great location on 5th Ave!”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Just returned from 5 nights at 373 and had a fantastic time. The hotel is in a perfect place on 5th Avenue nearly opposite the entrance to the Empire State so you can walk most places saving money on costly cab fares. The staff are fantastic, especially John who simply cannot do enough to help organise trips, show tickets and places to eat. The room was small and there was traffic noise on a night but this is 5th Avenue right in the heart of the city so it is expected! The room was however very clean and the bed was extremly comfy which is needed after walking large distances each day. I would certainly recommend eating at O'Neils Irish bar which is a 5 min wlak away and the brewery pub next to Empire State which is excellent just to call in for a beer. I would stay at 373 again and will be suggesting it to all my friends and family who visit NYC.

Room Tip: Higer rooms offer less traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen C
gdesoiza, General Manager at Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you Stephen!
We're very happy to hear that you had a "fantastic time" and that you were able to take advantage of our guest service. It's especially nice to hear when a particular staff member, like John, made a big enough impression that you recognized him and captured his passion "who simply can't do enough to help". We're very proud of everyone's efforts and it's really rewarding to here that we're succeeding.
Please come visit us again, when you can, and feel free to contact me personally.
gm@hotel373.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Good points are-
Very clean with high standard of housekeeping, stylish look, wifi speed and reliability excellent, helpful friendly staff who didn't need asking to do anything twice. A nice laid back vibe. Although yes it was a very small room, everything was conveniently placed / well thought out for the space ie. sockets right by a full length mirror simple but good. The bed was extremely comfortable, with a cosy waffle blanket. The shower was always hot and at a high pressure. Starbucks on site. Good location.
Negatives were-
Having to go down to the basement to use the safe was mildly inconvenient as this is something I have never had to do in any hotel before. An in-room safe would have been better.
The blind wasn't very good at entirely blocking the light so was woken by sunrise earlier than would have liked.
A big negative for us was something that the hotel cannot change. Unfortunately the fifth avenue traffic goes over those 'metal road plates' which made SUCH an awful noise - it was unbearable and obviously continues the whole time. I am actually shocked that it isn't mentioned by reviewers on TA. I don't mind background traffic noise in NYC and have visited the city many times before but it is specifically a clattering metal thundering noise that echoes and must kind of bounce' against the buildings. Our room wasnt even facing Fifth ave. I slept reasonably eventually mainly because I was so exhausted after full days out in NY however we were always being woken at various points during the night and again at 4.30/5.00 am when the traffic increases. The thundering feels like its literally going through you. This wasn't good. It is not a background noise- it is over and above normal Ny traffic levels. It's a shame because the hotel would need to triple glaze the windows I guess? I appreciate it is something the hotel cannot alter. I must stress again this is a great hotel! However I do feel that as this is something that has a huge impact on your stay it should be mentioned. Once the metal plates are removed/ are they temporary or not? it would be fine I think. It is something that would put me off booking again currently.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JudyChalmersWannabe
Thank you Judy!
I sincerely regret that you had to experience the noise from the metal plates that are on 35th Street. The hotel doesn't have any control on the construction needs of NYC and unfortunately with all the upgrades that are being addressed (crosstown subway construction, fiber optic conversions, Hurricane Sandy relief): I'm sure that It could'nt have been postponed. Believe me, we're not the only hotel and apartment that has to endure such things. The better the location/ the more activity I guess. In any case, I really appreciate that you were able to endure it and still give us a rave review.
We have a couple of the things that you mentioned (in room safes, triple glazed windows and blackout shades on our renovation request list. I'm sure that we will be addressing these shortcomings sooner or later.
Thanks again for your recognition of our efforts and accomplishments. Please contact me personally if you plan to return to us.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned from new York, hotel was excellent. Friendly staff and nice clean hotel, beds were so comfy!! . Great location for all attractions and Starbucks very handy to start off the day!!! Would definately stay again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jo_nash01
Thank you Jo!
It's really great to hear that you were comfortable, enjoyed our Starbucks, found our staff to be friendly and enjoyed our location. We will count on you staying with us again; when you visit NYC again. Please don't hesitate to contact me personally when you do.
Smith, Tn
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The best thing about Hotel 373 is that it is very clean. The bed was comfortable, and the free wi-fi is great. The rooms are small, with very limited space to hang clothes. The lobby is small, but a starbucks is in the lobby, which was convenient. The location was good, and you can walk to several attractions in Midtown. We appreciated the helpful employees. The lady at the front desk on the morning we checked out was very kind in agreeing to store our luggage after checkout while we continued to explore the city on our last day. She also arranged for transportation to the airport to meet us at the hotel that evening, and the price for the drive to the airport was fair. If the rooms were a little bigger and/or the price was a little lower, I would rate this Hotel as very good to excellent. However, I rate the Hotel as average to good. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean, safe, and friendly location in NYC, with the understanding that everything in NYC is somewhat crowded and expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RhRd
Thanks so much for submitting your review. The staff is always rewarded whenever a guest states that our rooms were clean, comfortable and that we were kind and helpful. As you can imagine, November is a very busy time for commerce and Holiday Tourism. Therefore, it is also a highly demanded period of time and all of NYC hotels are at peak pricing. We try very hard to provide competitive value; based upon our amenities, our location and the quality of our services. That being said, there are times during the year when you might find us a bargain (Winter, Early Spring, Summer). Please contact me personally, if you are planning to return to NYC for any reason and I will try to suggest the best dates to get the best value for your hard earned money.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've really loved this place, the staff is friendly, the rooms are not too large but the bed was so comfortable that it was hard to weak up, like sleeping in a cloud! This hotel is located on 5th avenue, close to time square, shops and restaurants. Clean and well organized, internet free, two thumbs up!
Just one problem, breakfast is not included in the price, but at least there's a starbucks downstairs

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear riri,
I'm really glad to hear that you slept so well at Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue. We're really proud of our location and we're so happy to hear that you were so comfortable. We've just recently put a breakfast add on to our rates on our website. For only $5 per person/ per day you can get a choice of six different breakfast specials at our next door neighbor Oxford Cafe. I apologize that you were not aware of this when you stayed, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the Starbucks. Please visit us again and contact me personally when you do.
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Well located hotel on 5th ave, the room was clean but very small. Amenities were adequate and again location was great. Would recommend this hotel as a good base from which to explore midtown etc. Staff were welcoming and efficient. Was here during hurricane Sandy and they handled matters professionally.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dbnguys
Thank you so much for your review and for your appreciation of our efforts during Hurricane Sandy.
Our staff worked very hard to relieve the anxiety of the storm and we were very lucky to have maintained power and communication systems. As a small boutique property we rely a great deal on our local merchants and their goods and services. Sandy forced us to host a modest breakfast program (in our basement); as our usual breakfast places failed to operate in the neighborhood. It's really nice to hear that we did well and that you appreciated our professionalism.
I'm hopeful that everything was easily manageable when you returned home after unexpected delays. Happy New Year and all the best!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Great small hotel in excellent location, staff were all exceptionally helpful.
Rooms are small but very clean.
No food facilities in hotel but a coffee shop next door and loads of other good places to eat near by.
Will definately stay here on next visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stingsstrings
Thank you 'stingstrings'! It's great to hear that you will definitely stay with us on your next visit. I'm very happy to hear that you found our staff to be "extremely helpful", found us clean and appreciated our location. Please contact me personally; whenever you plan to return.