“Central location, small spaces”

Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue
Ranked #297 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Miami, Florida
“Central location, small spaces”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

As many others have mentioned, the rooms are small but the location is central to mid-town Manhattan! This is perfect for the individual or couple visiting sites like Central Park, the Empire State Building or Herold Square.

However, my husband and I found ourselves down in Union Square, Soho and the East Village on quite a few occasions. As a result, we walked A LOT. It was fine since we're pretty active and we enjoyed the exercise!

Overall, this was a good choice and I would recommend it to others looking for great mid-town spot to crash for a couple nights.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jaya R
gdesoiza, General Manager at Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
We really appreciate the great things that you had to say about Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue. Union Square is a really quick subway ride, using either the west side N or R Subway line or the East Side #6 Subway for next time. Otherwise feel free to contact me personally and I can recommend properties in an area that you're going to spend most of your time. We (Hersha Hotels) have many sister properties all over NYC.
Gary Mark DeSoiza, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

I read loads and loads of reviews from different places around Manhattan before I have decided and I must say my pick was perfect. This small cosy hotel is located at the very centre of everything. Empire State Building just rises above and was visible from my room. The noise from the street was part of all that made it perfect. It's New York City after all.
The lobby is technically just a check in desk,but that was fine by me. Starbucks coffee shop just next door if you feel the need to sit and do nothing out of your room. I didn't spent much time in the hotel itself,but I must say the beds are very comfortable and clean. Maybe a bit too short for taller people though. Bathroom doesn't have bath just a shower,but it was fresh and clean.
The staff was fantastic!!!
As I was traveling solo I was a bit nervous about my walks around and I asked the girl at the desk few questions. She explained to me almost all I had to know with a huge smile on her face. As well I needed to print out my return ticket and it was done with no problem free of charge.
Next time when I'm here I will definitely stay in Hotel 373 ..... again.

Macy's - a block away - 10min max
Times square - few blocks away - 15-20 min max
Empire State Building - less than 100m - 5 min max
Radio City Music Hall - about 20 min

I personally walked everywhere and I loved it. Even to Brooklyn Bridge ! Just keep in mind it's good bit of a walk to there !!

1 Thank kateqp
Wow!
This review was truly wonderful. It's wonderful to read something from and individual that has such a positive outlook, seeks adventure and appreciates the intrinsic.
We're glad that you picked us after reading "loads and loads of reviews". We want prospective guests to know what to expect when they get to Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue.
Thanks for appreciating our cleanliness, our staff and our location.
Please visit us again and feel free to contact me personally.
Calne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Right where you need to be in NYC. Rooms are small but clean and comfortable. No frills NYC hotel perfect for your weekend sight seeing. We were on the 10th floor with only one lift it could be a little slow getting up and down sometimes. Would still recommend.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you Ross A!
I love your description of Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue. "Small but perfectly formed" and "Right where you need to be in NYC" really sums us up. We do our best to provide the clean, comfortable rooms that you experienced and we our best to provide friendly, efficient and knowledgable service. We provide only complimentary breakfast, complimentary bottled water, complimentary in room coffee/tea, complimentary High Speed Internet and a discounted daily Ambassador Pass to New York Sports Club ($10 around the corner) in terms of frills, but with a Full Service Starbucks in our lobby and almost every cuisine or type of bar/lounge within a block or two: We agree that we are the "...NYC hotel perfect for weekend sightseeing".
Please visit us again and contact me personally when you do.
Pittstown, New Jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is the tiniest room that I have ever stayed in, by some margin. And the bathroom was commensurately compact (without a bath cubicle or tub - so after a bath, the floor was all quite a mess, and I could step in to it only after room service restored it later that day).

Notwithstanding its excellent location in midtown Manhattan, I could not bear to stay in it, and I was glad to be out of the hotel after the 2 nights that my office had already paid for.

For my next visit to NY, I asked my office to find me a larger and better room even if not so well located, and to my surprise, they found me St Giles Court, which was an excellent, spacious, modern room in as central a location. And I understand from my office admin, priced in the same ballpark as 373, so I know where I am staying on my future trips.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank IndianBirder
Dear IndianBirder,
I'm very sorry that Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue did not meet your needs and preferences. Our rooms are often described as small, cozy, and cute in our Trip Advisor reviews. I only wish that your office's admin was aware or had taken the opportunity to reference Trip Advisor; prior to making your reservation. There are pro's and con's to every hotel property in New York City. Most of our guests enjoy our proximity (one block) from both eastside and westside subway lines, being on Fifth Avenue, and being one block from the Empire State Building, Macy's Herald Square/34th Street. Regrettably, there are some tradeoffs; especially if you are planning to spend a lot of time in your room.
Every review helps our future guests choose the right place for themselves and I sincerely thank you for your business and your review.
Morocco
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife, my kid and myself stayed at this hotel for two nights. The location is great and the empire state buiding is just in front. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean but also very small. I higly recommend this hotel if you are alone just because of the size of the bed.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you Najib_EM!
I really appreciate the review that you gave our property, in spite of the difficulty of sharing one of our single bedded rooms with your wife and small child. Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue is know for it's cozy, cute, clean rooms, but we're only able to offer the choice of a single full, single queen or single king mattress. Please feel free to contact me personally if you return to New York City in the future. I would be happy to recommend sister properties that have more room and bedding choices.
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel during our trip to New York. The hotel i in an great location: we could walk to most places! The hotel staff were always helpful and very friendly. The room was small, but the view of the Empire State Building and the cleanliness more than made up for it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Louise S,
We're so happy that you enjoyed yourselves with us. I'm happy to hear that you found us helpful, friendly, and clean. Many of our rooms do have wonderful views of the Empire State Building. It's exactly one block away from us. Our rooms are often considered to be small (cozy, cute, etc), but we're happy that your experience was great!
Please feel free to contact me personally, should you return to NYC.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This is a compact hotel and the location is absolutely stunning. An easy walk from Penn station, and then no problem getting to local sights. Beat all the queues for the Empire State! also found an excellent local steak house.

There is no lobby, or facilities, as such - but that doesn't really matter. My only problem was that, unlike some other reviewers I got unlucky with my room - 3rd floor overlooking 5th avenue. You get to notice that New York never sleeps. Get a room higher up, and facing 35th, and I guess you'll be OK?

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room on the lower floor facing 5th Avenue.