“Spicy!”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Midtown
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed July 17, 2019 via mobile

This is a tiny place with limited seats - be prepared to eat at the stand up counters or take out. The lamb cumin noodles were very spicy! (And I have a pretty seasoned palate for spice) - it was too salty and had been cooked in chilli oil. The handmade noodles are very dense (ie carbs carbs carbs) so perfect if you need to carb load before an athletic event.

Overall worth a visit as I don’t think I’ll have a chance to eat authentic Xi’an Western Chinese food unless I travel to Xi’an.

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (292)

Reviewed July 16, 2019 via mobile

This is a regular stop for me when I am in NYC about 5 times a year. Spicy Cumin Lamb Noodles are fabulous. Great spice. Great price. Great cumin flavours. Hand tossed noodles.
I discovered this by way of an Anthony Bourdain show.
It is important to eat them when they are hot. Also important not to get the oil on your shirt.
This location has very limited seating. There are a few other locations in the Midtown area.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed June 12, 2019 via mobile

I love this place and wish there was a location where I live, this is a no frills spot with no waitstaff and amazing food. I could eat the lamb cumin hand pulled noodle soup every day, my vegetarian friend on the other hand was stuck with only two options and she liked it but wasn’t as in love with her food as me. You place your order at the front and wait for your food next to the counter then find a seat in the back (this location as antisocial wall facing seats, great for solo eaters and pairs but not so much for groups). When you’re finished dating just toss your bowls and utensils at the designated stations and leave.

Reviewed June 3, 2019 via mobile

Loved Xi’an Famous Foods during my first visit at a different location and found that this was closer to my hotel. Found the quality in this location to be on par with their location near the MoMA. People taking order were fast and polite. Take-out was prompt as well. Area is quite cramped in the front especially when more people are ordering take-out. Dine-in has a separate location to get their orders in the back.

We ordered the noodles, dumpling, and pork bun. As always the noodles and dumplings were great. The pork bun was kind of bland in comparison. Very filling meal and great value.

Reviewed June 1, 2019 via mobile

This is an excellent chinese joint for a quick and cheap meal. I have been there three times during my visit and all I had was absolutely delicious. The Lamb Noodle Cumin is awesome - just try it! For me it has not been a problem to get a table immediately. I really understand that Anthony Bourdain several years ago gave this restaurant his best recommmendations