“$400 taken from our room!- NOT the first time this has happened.”
Review of Duane Street Hotel

Duane Street Hotel
Ranked #235 of 466 Hotels in New York City
kilkenny
“$400 taken from our room!- NOT the first time this has happened.”
Reviewed April 22, 2009

The hotel is pleasant enough but this still does not excuse the fact that $400 was taken from our room. I was told by management that this was the first time that something like this had happened in the hotel but looking through previous reviews I see that another person experienced the same thing.
Unfortunately the day the money taken from the room, was my second last day in the hotel. I had been keeping my cash in the safe but because I had entered the safe code wrong, the day the money was taken, I had decided to leave the safe open for fear I'd not be able to open it again.
I had left the room earlier that day, my travel companion remained in the room. Before he left he told one of the room service girls that there was a plumping issue in the bathroom. She said she'd contact reception and she would get someone to the room to look after it.
On checking to see how much money we had left for our last day in New York, we found that our money was down $400- there is not a shadow of doubt in my mind, the money had been taking by a member of hotel staff.
We spoke we the receptionist straight away on discovering the money was taken to be told by her and another member of staff that the money would be reimbursed.
This was not the case and to be honest we found the hotel manager to be quite unhelpful and incompetent with resolving this matter- the police we're called and a statement was taken by them.
All in all, the experience was a very bad one and handled in a very un professional manner.
Duane Street hotel need to realise that a member of staff is ROBBING cash from residents rooms. I'd advise people to look to other hotels for their stay in New York.

1 Thank larkin81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Portland Maine
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We had many problems at this attractive, small hotel in Tribeca. We had prepaid for our room ( 6 nights) but after a few nights they put a random $900 charge on our bill. They acknowledged the mistake but it was just luck that we caught the charge on our Visa card while we were still at the hotel. Every night we were lacking something in our room either towels or water glasses which were brought up after we called the desk but that was a nuisance. On the sixth day there we left at 7:30 and returned at 3:15 to find our room still not cleaned. Neither the desk clerks nor the housekeeper apologized. They tried to say we must have put out a Do Not Disturb sign. When that excuse didn't work they had several stories about being full that night, having to clean up rooms for new arrivals and finally the old "one of our housekeepers didn't show up for work" story. A simple apology would have gone a long way to placating us. We finally got into our cleaned room at 3:45.

1 Thank portlandmainepumpkin
chatham, ma
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Booked Duane St online, received confirmation, and paid in advance. Upon my arrival at the front desk, I was told that the hotel was "overbooked" and that I was being moved to another property. It just set a bad tone at what was supposed to be a long weekend break. I've traveled extensively for business and pleasure and have to say I was never told a hotel was overbooked. That's bad enough but waiting to be told when you arrive? Unacceptable. The attitude of the staff was akin to "Well, that's the breaks. Sorry".

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank winnifred020
Sequim, Washington
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Duane Street Hotel in the Tribeca area was ideally located in lower Manhattan, walking distance to major sites, such as, Century 21, the best department store shopping, but get there early esp on weekends, as it gets very hectic; ground zero is only like 10 minutes away right near Century 21; Battery Park, China Town, the Financial District, and restaurants are everywhere within walking distance. Our favorite place was Bouley's bakery and restaurant - plenty of sushi places, Indian, ethnic restaurants all nearby - the staff at Duane Street Hotel are very pleasant and they love doggies! I would definitely come back to this hotel, it's small but clean and cozy.

Washington, DC
Reviewed April 7, 2009

We also wanted to stay out of the midtown craziness and explore a new area of NYC. This hotel was amazing. The staff was helpful, the rooms were beautiful and the bed was more comfortable than ours at home. It is 1.5 blocks away from the subway and within walking distance to a lot. I would go back any time!

Edmonton
Reviewed March 19, 2009

In NYC for a week for Art Fairs and shopping I wanted to be out of the midtown rat-race, and thought this hotel was just right. I really am brilliant!

The room was NYC sized, in my experience but bright and high-ceilinged decorated in a warm and simple fashion with great entertainment products to fill time while changing and going through purchases. I was very busy at Century 21 and was still able to move around in my queen room after I got the extra suitcase and a boatload of clothing. The bathroom was more spacious than in other similar sized rooms I've experienced and the amenities great. Small issues with the room were immediately dealt with by staff on notification. The cleaning staff were unobtrusive and very thorough, and the turndown service and sweet treats left in the evening were wonderful to return to.

I cannot say enough about the front desk staff who totally made my trip an extraspecial one. Mostly I seemed to run into Michelle who had fantastic suggestions of things to do that were outside the norm. Getting tickets to a great show I would have otherwise gone ignorant about was easy. She and the other staff even went to bat to try to get me tickets that no broker in town had - turns out the original ticket to see the Roots was only 10$ so not much for the broker to get out of that. The suggestion that I try showing up and looking for tickets led me to see Roots as well as Hi Tek and Talib Kweli - for 30$. Oh how I love NY, and those wonderful people at Duane Street.

On leaving I ended up having to leave an art piece that was too big to pack. Michelle has been fantastic in helping me get it home long after my (first) stay at the Duane ended.

I didn't use the Beca restaurant much but it seemed to be a beautiful place to watch the Church street world go by. Overall I will stay again. I will likely ask for to a slightly higher room - was on 3 - though honestly the street noise was far better than I thought it would be.

As I mentioned on another site, the only thing I would change would be having a huge truck shuttle me back and forth from Century 21.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Artjunkie13
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We spent 3 days here on a long weekend in NYC. Overall it's a very nice hotel. Our room was of course compact (It is NYC!), but it was well appointed and nicely kept. I enjoyed the hardwood floors especially.

The services were quite good for a small hotel. There was nightly turndown with a tasty sweet treat and when we wanted to borrow a bottle opener for some beer we picked up at Whole Foods (very nearby) they grabbed us one from the bar no questions asked. One note though, there is no doorman which seemed odd for such a nice property.

On the down side, the air handling unit was incredibly loud in our room and didn't work all that well. This was easily overcome though by the fact that the windows actually opened, so we simply turned the unit off altogether and enjoyed some fresh spring air!

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple