“Great location away from the crowds”
Review of Duane Street Hotel

Duane Street Hotel
Ranked #179 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 17, 2008

My husband and I booked a quick weekend trip to NYC and found a great deal on this hotel on Travelzoo.com. I was a bit skeptical about staying so far from the Midtown theater scene, but this hotel was centrally located (less than 2 blocks) from the major subway lines. The neighborhood was charming, and the staff very helpful -- especially Melissa. We did venture to Midtown, but the crowds and noise were overwhelming. Small, but well appointed queen room (306) with nice views of the street below. Great amenities like NY Times, cookies at turndown, soft sheets, and high ceilings. We will definitely book again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 12, 2008

This is a very chic and trendy NEW property. The lobby and restaurant area are cozy, they even have a small bar. Unfortunately its only beer and wine which is quite over priced. I really don't think the staff understands that because I was given direction to a restaurant by a evening employee who reeked of hard liquor, through his broken slurred English. The front desk concierge was quite embarrished and made his best efforts to provide great service, but the unprofessional mannerism and drunken demeanor in the middle of the lobby was a bad reflection on a otherwise pleasant stay. There's an old saying that "one bad apple can spoil the bunch", that was the case here. Hopefully they will recruit more professional staff like the concierge Dan and the bellman Reegoo.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank FrequentFlyer004
Reviewed December 7, 2008

The Duane Street Hotel is a short walk from many attractions including China Town, Little Italy, the WTC and City Hall. A block away is a subway station that leads to all sites in the area. Although I've read complaints about the size of the rooms, our room with two double beds was more than adequate, and the contemporary decor was attractive, yet functional. The staff was extremely helpful and the small blueberry muffin on our turned down beds at night were a nice touch. To top things off, having a complementary copy of the New York Times at my door in the morning was really appreciated. Although the hardwood floors could make for a noisy night with guests above you, we had no such problems. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2008

Exellent stay during my visit. Very warm and cozy vibe. Small hotel, yet spacious room (especially for New York). Staff greeted me warmly, and were very helpful to my concierge needs. Great area, safe to walk at night time. Had a great meal at the "Odeon" which was only two blocks away and open late. Would definitely return on my next trip to New York!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2008

We just stayed the weekend in NYC and stayed at the Duane Street Hotel. Upon check in, we were greeted with a sort of ho-hum front desk clerk but she was able to get us into our room before the 3pm check-in time. That was nice to be able to go in and just relax after driving. The hotel is brand new so it is very clean and very modern looking. The room was small but really cute & pretty much what you would expect for NYC. We had a huge window that poured in great light & the room had a really nice flat screen tv & a nice clock radio. We stayed in a queen bed and that was super super comfortable....my husband and I both had a great night's sleep. Someone else mentioned it was really loud but we didn't notice excessive noise at all. In fact, it was very mellow. We had the continental b.fast the next morning & that was nice- includes coffee, pastry, fruit. It was nice to have it there and not have to go out for it. Really cute open restaurant right in the lobby- they also have dinner there but we didn't have dinner there (side note: we had dinner at Secession- David Bouley's new restaurant in Tribeca- FANTASTIC!!! ) I love the neighborhood of Tribeca and this little boutique hotel was a really good find. I think it was great, overall.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2008

I wrote a long review in sept, but they decided to delete it. I stayed there for 4 nights. I did not like that their room cleaners snoop through your items, and just throw out anything they want. They lie about it too. How does someone know what is in a bag if it taped shut? Unless they look through them. I waited at Magnolia (cupcakes place) for an hour that day. Slept, left the next morning, and returned only to find, my 2 dozen boxes of long awaited cupcakes were thrown out! I went to the receptionist, to ask why they'd throw bags, if they don't know what is in them. They're receptionist ask the head cleaner, and they answered, " if we see food, we throw it away" WHY?! They were taped up in the first place! How do you even know it was food!!! The receptionist said, sorry but we can't do anything. OF COURSE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING! But they didn't. We asked every night for the next 3 nights, and not once did the receptionist write anything down. We asked for the manager every time, and not once were we able to talk to the Manager. THEY DIDN'T CARE, CAUSE THEY DIDN'T EVEN TRY!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Katherine M
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Do not stay in room 607. We got maybe 2 hours of sleep due to noise from the a/c unit on roof. And the front desk was aware of this problem . They did move us the next day to a better room but lost one of our personal bags and never got back to us about it. I will never stay here again or recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends