“Had a great time, nice location, stylish room”
Review of Duane Street Hotel

Duane Street Hotel
Ranked #193 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed recently at the Duane Street Hotel for a week while I was in NYC on business. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading all of the reviews, but I was very pleasantly surprised. To break down my stay a bit:

--Check-in--very easy and quick. The whole thing took less than five minutes, and was probably the simplest thing I had to do after my day of traveling.

--The room--small, but very cool, and spotless. I really enjoyed staying in it, and for one person just there on business and not really there to party it up, it was perfect. The decor was cool, and the comforter on the bed was very soft. I spent most of my days working late, and was pleasantly surprised each day to come home to a turned down bed, and fresh ice in the ice bucket. It was a very nice touch. I really like when things just happen without my even requesting them. Also, there's free wi-fi in the rooms, so enjoy. It's amazing that hotels charge for it.

--Location--I was working in the Financial District, and this hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk to it. This was perfect for me, because I like to walk, and it was a good chance to people watch. Plus there are several coffee shops along the way.

I'll speak to the noise, as it's a big issue for me when I'm somewhere on business instead of pleasure. This hotel sits on top of several different train lines, so you can feel the room shake whenever one of them passes. I had asked for a quiet room, so they put me on the 5th floor, and though I'm sure it's possible that you might hear a rattling from the trains if you're on a lower floor, I really just heard a slight hum every few minutes. It really didn't bother me, and after a while I didn't even notice it. However, I will say that the street noise was audible, even with the double windows, but I never heard a human voice, and I'll take bus noise and taxi noise versus people screaming in the street any day.

Overall, I had a really nice stay in this boutique hotel. Even with the street/train noise, I'd stay again. I wasn't looking for some giant chain, or a party hotel. This hotel was perfect for what I needed, which was location, low noise, an "at home in my condo" feel versus a standard hotel room feel, and cleanliness/service. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: If you're looking for lower noise, ask for a room higher up.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Nicolas D, General Manager at Duane Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for spending the time to write such a detailed feedback. We appreciate all your comments and the team & I are looking forward to greeting you the next time you are in town.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed in this hotel a couple of months back in September, the worst I have ever experienced in New York but to be fair the actual rooms of the hotel are quite nice and modern and the bathrooms are a good size and the housekeeping team and housekeeping management were very pleasant. However, the total price of my stay rounded up to about $2700, I was charged $4500 and on top of that I was charged another $1500 on the day of my departure (to clarify - they didn't 'charge me' they pre-authorised my card, which, still meant the money left my account and I didn't receive it back into my account for another 10 days after I checked out) rather annoying when you go to NY for a week with an agenda to shop. Furthermore, I didn't even get one apology, in fact they blamed me and my bank. Atrocious customer service. I will never stay in this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank WY101
Nicolas D, General Manager at Duane Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to share with us your comments. It is always troubling to receive feedback like this regarding the customer service you received regarding your billing. The card that was given to our front office at check-in was authorized at that time for the entire stay. However, the money was never actually taken from that account given that you decided to check-out and pay the full amount with a second card. Authorizations hold the funds till a release is processed by the banks and can take up to 7 to 10 business days to release. I am very sorry that this transaction left a sour note on your stay with us and I apologize that no one tried to assist you further to ensure a swifter resolution.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Duane Street Hotel is a nice and cozy boutique hotel in Tribeca, downtown Manhattan. The staff and service are excellent. They're very attentive. The rooms are pretty stylish and the beds are very comfortable. I slept really well. Overall the amenities are quite good. The hotel is located near several restaurants and a few subway stations. It's location makes it easy for you to get around the city using different modes of transportation. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a specific thing in your room like a bath tub, for example, you should ask in advance to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicolas D, General Manager at Duane Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you for the great feedback on our staff. The entire team is looking forward to your next stay in Tribeca

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Although this boutique hotel like others has relatively small rooms, the staff was engaging, informative and were overall very helpful. We requested a room on a high floor and heard virtually no street noise. We visited Brooklyn, the Bronx, Little Italy and Harlem all which were easily accessible via the two near by subway stations. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback and we are looking forward to your next stay

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Loud. No lobby. Party took over entire main floor making check in horrible. Had to yell back and forth with front desk guy. Hallways narrow and dark. Rooms not sound proof. Was kept up past 12:30 am by people talking adjacent rooms and hallway. And silverfish in the bathroom everynight. Lounge / restaurant lighting horrible CFL bulbs and service in mornings mariginal at best with coffee full of grounds in bottom of the cup Over $800 for a Wednesday and Thursday night at a supposed "special rate". Front desk barely apologized when told at check out. Will be writing manager.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank InformInteriors
Nicolas D, General Manager at Duane Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and we do apologize for the less than satisfactoy experience that you experienced while at our hotel . As soon as management was notified, we did contact you and immediately offer you compensation for one night stay. We hope you would reconsider staying at the hotel and as mentioned while communicating, we will be more than happy to upgrade you to one of our deluxe accommodations on your next trip to NYC.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a trendy boutique hotel. All the staff were so helpful and really couldn't have done any more for us if they'd tried. The room was fantastic - really stylish and the everything was great quality - even down to the REN bathroom products and Tassimo coffee maker. Close to Subway station so easy to get around. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Book the corner suite (601) if you can!
Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AndySG123
Nicolas D, General Manager at Duane Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

We really appreciate your great comments. Looking forward to having you back in NYC on your next trip.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Duane Street Hotel is unassuming, trendy and quite nice. Room we had was tiny, tiny, so don't bring a lot of luggage because there's no place to put it all. Very nice room despite the size. The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom was good. Small but with nice toiletries and loads of little cubbies and shelves to put things on. There is an elevator (lift) along with stairs. The valet got us unloaded and into our room very quickly as we were on a deadline. There is parking but off site and for a price. The hotel is located very close to the World Trade Center, maybe a 10 minute walk with 2 Dunkin' Donuts along the way and the awesome Century 21 Department store which unfortunately was closed because it was early Sunday morning. City Hall restaurant is directly across the street and we had a great experience there at a wedding reception.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Denise N
Nicolas D, General Manager at Duane Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for your great feedback and support of our Tribeca neighborood.