“Ideal” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Ideal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I needed a comfortable, quiet, clean,and hospitable place to stay while visiting a son living four blocks away. The staff of this boutique hotel was intent on pleasing guests while offering a quiet respite from the city noise. The hotel was pristine in cleanliness and comfort. We recommend this establishment without hesitation and plan to return upon on our next visit.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan C
Matt S, General Manager at The Lex NYC, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is nice to see that you enjoyed your visit and that our staff treated you with the service that you have come to expect while staying at a hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with them as they take a great deal of pride at making each guests stay a perfect 10. Please dont be a stranger and come back to see us shortly.

Matt Slippoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Oakton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

If you have a brief stay in NYC and are looking for a great value in a good location, this property is a good choice. No frills but a very comfortable bed and surprinsingly quiet. The continental bfast was a nice touch and the service was exceptional.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank b w
St. Helena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Fine value hotel. Excellent staff and service. Rooms very small but they clearly upgraded them with quality systems, didn't just cover them with fancy fabrics or marble. New bathrooms and air systems, electrical connections. Dinky lobby. Continental breakfast is minimal but plenty of places in area with top breakfast. (Sarabeth a block away.) Fantastic Indian restaurants up the street and great location for taxis and walking everywhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars

1 Thank Barbara I
Matt S, General Manager at The Lex NYC, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
wanted to personally thank you for your stellar review on our hotel. It is comments such as yours that motivates the team at the hotel to achieve excellence. We all have pride and passion when it comes to servicing our guests and it is great to see that this proved true during your visit. We would love to have you back as our values guest shortly and we wish you well until that time comes.

Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Great place to stay in Manhattan. Wonderful, helpful staff, very clean accommodations for the traveler who is not looking to visit the hotel but see the city and have a great place to come back to at night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Matt S, General Manager at The Lex NYC, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Greetings from The Lex NYC,

I wanted to personally thank you for your stellar review on our hotel. It is comments such as yours that motivates the team at the hotel to achieve excellence. We all have pride and passion when it comes to servicing our guests and it is great to see that this proved true during your visit. We would love to have you back as our valued guest shortly and we wish you well until that time comes.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I spent just one night here for work, and the first impressions were great. I asked for a quiet room, and got one away from the elevator in the back of the building. It was on the second floor, with a "terrace" that was basically the bottom of a shaft. Nevertheless, it was quiet.

The room itself was very, very tight, but I felt that the designers made the best use of the space. Ceiling height was great, which made it much less claustrophobic. I believe I had a standard queen room, and it is really suitable only for 1 person to stay in. I would go insane with another person. Everything was brand new, and I loved the floor to ceiling headboard for the bed. It really classed up the room, even though the rest of it was pretty blah.

The most outstanding feature of my room by far was the bathroom. It was pretty incredible, almost as big as the bedroom itself. The floor was a really nice wood-look tile, and there was plenty of counter space. The black and white tiling looked sexy and chic and classic all at the same time. The tub surround was entirely tiled in black, which I usually would not have liked, but again due to the ceiling height, as well as the fairly wide tub, it wasn't an issue. Shower pressure was fantastic.

Unfortunately, when it came time to sleep, I discovered the shortcomings. The A/C was extremely loud, and the auto setting only allowed it to go off for about 2 minutes for every 10 minutes of on. That it was unable to maintain 70 degrees in a room no larger than 200 square feet was pretty silly. And then on top of that, the bed was just not that comfortable. Perhaps I am too spoilt by pillowtops - although I did not look to confirm, it definitely did not feel like I was sleeping on a pillowtop mattress.

I skipped breakfast, but did notice that it was a simple spread in the small lobby on my way out. I really wanted to like my stay here, and was hoping that I would discover a new goto boutique hotel, but I did not get a very comfortable night's sleep. Having said that, if the hotel is able to fix or replace the a/c units, I can probably be convinced to try it again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank pocmonster
Matt S, General Manager at The Lex NYC, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent visit with us. Our team strives hard at ensuring that all guest who stay with us leave after receiving a perfect stay. While we have exceeded that goal with almost all of our guests I wanted to apologize that we did not hit that goal with your stay. We are aware that a few of our rooms have rather loud HVAC units. Due to the construction of the building we had no choice but to go with those types of units in a few rooms. Most of rooms however, have a different kind of unit that are silent. I wish you would have alerted us to this concern as we would have been happy to make other arrangements for you. I would be happy to personally take care of your next reservation if you are willing to give us another try and I will make sure to place you in a room with a silent unit. I was also surprised to hear that our beds weren't comfortable for you. As you can see by all other comments on Trip Advisor, our beds have proved to be a major hit with other guests. They are in fact all pillow top mattresses and close to the top of the line. Nothing is more important to us then the comfort of our guests and we spared no expense on our beds. due to the fact that the hotel is new, it could be possible that the beds are still a little firm. Nonetheless, we did not hit our goal during your stay and I sincerely apologize for that. I am happy that you enjoyed the bathrooms in the hotel but for us, we want you to enjoy the total package. Please contact me should you wish to discuss your concerns further. I can only hope that this has not tarnished your thoughts or feelings on our company and hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a perfect stay.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This hotel only provides accommodation on check in, so if you are tired from travel and did not have enough hours of sleep then you are not going to find a place to crash until the hotel check in hour. There is small waiting area and I was shocked to find my mother sitting on the couch sleeping when I return at 4pm after no one called as I was promised to let me know about room availability over an hour before. It did not look good.

Also, when I called I was told our view will be facing Boruk College building which sounded exciting instead we were facing the walls all around the window. I cannot travel afar because of my disability and Manhattan has become my vacation destination. Since we are locals we do not do much sight seeing and spend half of time in the room, enjoying the hotel, the view from the room and hotel's facilities. In this case this was a complete disaster having to pay for the most expensive room in the hotel that looked like being berried in the whole.

On the other hand the entire stuff was outstanding, friendly, not too much in your way and most of all displayed excellent team work effort. Being in their company felt like being with friends. Even tourists were friendly.

The continental breakfast was excellent, not too much choices, but just enough to fuel up for the day ahead or to grab it on the go. Coffee, variety of croissants, fruits, milk. assorted teas. Most of all, the freshest croissants and muffins we ever ate.

I and my best friend enjoyed Madison Sq Park - my 2nd favorite after Central Park in NYC and I finally got to eat in the famous Shake shack explaining to my mother that the long line was part of the entertaining attraction :)

The property lobby is not large, but cozy and very modern. We loved everything about the room except the view from the room which made the room dark and depressing.

This is very beautiful property and in excellent location. My advice is if you book the room with two queen size beds speak to the manger not to the stuff member to guarantee you don't get to spend your vacation in New York in the basement that is if you care about seeing the sky from your window. On the other hand If you plan on using the room only to sleep in then it is ideal choice for it is quit, dark with no outside noise.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Matt S, General Manager at The Lex NYC, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Greetings From the Lex NYC,

I wanted to thank you for sharing your comments with us. We take guest feedback very seriously as it helps me to evaluate our current practices and product in order to achieve our goal of constant improvements. I am delighted to hear that our staff treated you as they have been trained to do so. Our team always tries to accommodate all guests requests. I did notice your comment about not being able to check in early. Whenever we have a room available we will always check our guests in prior to the 3pm check in time The night before your arrival we were 100% sold out and therefore did not have a room available for early check in. With that being said you most defiantly should have been called when the room was ready and I will be sure to use your comments as a refresher training class for our team. I believe that all associates can always benefit from refresher training. I can only hope that this was an isolated incident as the team has been trained to always call guests as their rooms become available. Please feel free to contact me personally should you find yourself back in NYC and I will be happy to ensure a perfect stay for you.

california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Made my reservation on Expedia...I don't know what happened, but is thought I was at the lexington hotel, which I've stayed before..but, what a nice surprise!!!

The Lex was a very nice boutique hotel, wonderful, helpful staff. Nice continental breakfast & since we were there on Tuesday, had a evening wine & cheese spread.

Hotel is new & very clean & quiet!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family