“Great Stay”

Ranked #341 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lincolnshire
“Great Stay”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Returned following a 4 night break over Thanksgiving. Hotel located very central 1/2 block from Macy's and walking distance to Times Sq, ESB, Grand Central Station. Subway located 1/2 block.

Staff very efficient upon arrival and was quickly assigned a room on the 10th Floor. Reception very informative and offered free maps, tourist guides (and popcorn which was a nice touch). Also offered advise about the Thanksgiving Parade. Soon after entering the room the staff rang to see if the room was acceptable which it was.

Room quite spacious but importantly clean with a comfortable bed and a heating system that worked and was quiet. There was some noise from outside but nothing that caused too much disturbance - After all it is the city that doesn't sleep.

Read reviews about the breakfast and so I was not expecting much however I was pleasantly suprised. Plenty on offer and plenty of room to sit although we went down before 7.15hrs most days.

Hotel able to hold luggage on last day and organised a car back to the airport.

Generally found the staff, hotel and location to be excellent and would have no hesitation in returning.

• Liked — Comfort, cleanliness and location
  • Disliked — No problems
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank skyewalker16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
West Midlands
Reviewed November 30, 2008

This is my second visit and second review of the Wingate Inn. This is a wonderful hotel, the staff are absolutely fantastic (dramatic improvement on my visit last year), great location. Complimentary breakfast, comfortable rooms. 10/10 for everything! Will use this hotel again.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Chilly25
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Stayed here for four nights last weekend and would recommend it. We booked two rooms for five of us,three in one ,two in other. They both had two doubles. My room was on the 9th floor at the back and we didn't hear any street noise. The rooms were a good size ,comfortable beds and pillows and good showers. There was complimentary coffee,tea and water in the room and a free paper left outside your door on weekdays. It was serviced each day with fresh towels etc.
Breakfast was better than we expected..scrambled eggs and sausage patties,bagels, english muffins and breads to toast,cereals,yogurts,fruit ,pastries and a waffle maker. Although some mornings were busy we always got a table and they constantly replenished the food.
The lobby area is small but there is a nice mezzanine area with computers for your use and a nice sofa.
It is half a block to Macys and the ESB is just past that. It is also one block to Madison Sq Gardens and Penn Station. We walked to the theatre (15 mins) ,Bryant Park,Times Sq etc.
The only negative things were that there are not many restaurants/bars in the immediate area and we couldn't open the window in our room which made it a bit stuffy.
Overall I would recommend it for good rooms,convenient breakfast and walking distance to a lot of things.

• Liked — convenience of location,inclusive breakfast
  • Disliked — room got stuffy at times
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank ceannain
Ocean City, NJ
Reviewed November 14, 2008

I stayed with my husband and 2 kids ages 17 & 8. One of the nicest hotel staffs I've encountered in my trips to NY. It was reasonablly priced. It was a GREAT location - Macy's in the next block, couple blocks from Empire state bldg. Very Clean with free computer and internet use available. The Free Breakfast was really good. A slection of Pastries, bagels & cereals along with Eggs, bacon and make your own waffles. Although, if you want the best selection get there early. By 7am it was packed and by 8am most of the good stuff was gone.

• Liked — The beds and linens were comfortable and felt like home, not a cheap hotel.
  • Disliked — I would have liked more towels in the room, but didn't bother to call for more.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank graeber5
Singapore
Reviewed November 10, 2008

I booked a twin room with 2 double beds via the Wingate reservations system. I made sure to read all the fine print, as I know that sometimes hotels will not guarantee separate beds in twin share accommodation, however the confirmation came through clearly saying that a room type with 2 double beds had been booked.

When we arrived, my friend and I were given a room with 1 queen bed.

I immediately spoke to reception, who told me that not only were there no other twin rooms available, but that the hotel had no roll-away beds either. When I asked whether we could be placed in a twin room the following day, they could not confirm whether this would be possible.

The manager was eventually called to talk to me and he was totally unapologetic and unhelpful. He denied that I had been guaranteed a room with 2 double beds. When I showed him the confirmation slip with the guarantee in it, he told me that the reservations system had nothing to do with the hotel, and that even though the booking was for a room type that had 2 double beds, the hotel never saw this (????).

He then informed me that my booking had said there was only 1 guest in the room, so there would be no need for a twin room. Again, I showed him my booking confirmation that clearly showed I had entered that there would be 2 guests. He just said "well, our system shows only 1".

At no time did I receive an apology or even an acknowledgment that an error had been made by the hotel. No matter what I said, the manager continued to argue with me and wouldn't concede that an error had been made. There was a total absence of customer service professionalism in the way he handled the issue.

Ultimately we cancelled our booking on the spot and went to another hotel. I recommend anyone considering staying here to call in advance and confirm the information that the hotel has on file to prevent disappointment.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank FiChisholm
pennsylvania
Reviewed November 6, 2008

We stayed at the hotel for one night and were pleased with the cleanliness of the room. We arrived early and hoped to check in but our room was not ready. We were able to check our bags though. Did not find the staff to be overly friendly but they were ok. The heater in our room was VERY loud with a clicking sound that kept me up all night! I even wore ear plugs and they didn't help. I had expected to hear street noise but all I heard was the heater! Arrived at breakfast around 8 am and there was plenty of food available-very nice assortment. Overall, a nice hotel for the price,location is good if you want to shop at Macy's.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the heater
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank agbPennsylvania
Ireland
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Stayed in the Wingate on 35th street in Manhattan. Loved everything about this hotel. The staff were so helpfull, a great free breakfast each morning. The bed was the most comfortable one that I have ever slept in sheer bliss. The room was kept immaculate clean sheets each morning and lovely soft towels. The Wingate is in walking distance of all the Manhattan sights. Penn Station just a short stroll away. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New York.

• Liked — The great location and comfy bed friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple