Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

from $41.60
from $26.67
from $69.34
More Info
All reviews walking tour church service neil shoemaker canaan baptist church new york great tour food tour gospel neighborhood history speech importance depth singing manhattan
Selected filters
Reviewed July 27, 2015

We did a walking tour of Harlem. This was our first time in Harlem it was the most exciting thing I experienced in my life. We ate at Sylvia's restaurant and it was excellent. I recommend the walking tour for anyone that want to visit Harlem. Our tour guide and owner of the company was outstanding.

Reviewed July 24, 2015

The tour was simply incredible. Neal is a great guide, he knows a lot about the history of Harlem and U.S. in general. I am a student of the American Studies, so i'm quite familiar with the American culture and i can say that the information he provided was correct. We ate lunch in a nice restaurant, everything was delicious, the place clean and i liked it a lot. Neal did everything to satisfy all participants, he was funny, very open-minded and qualified. I LOVED THE TOUR, THE PLACE, AND THE ATMOSPHERE. I would highly recommend it to anyone, not only to those who do not know much about Harlem, but also to people who have been interested in the subject.

1  Thank Anna P
Reviewed July 22, 2015

OK, so there was a mix-up - the tour leaves from the Schomburg Center not the Heritage Center which is noted on the receipt which I forgot to read. (should be a sign telling people this at the Heritage Center, because most of the negative reviews seem to involve this mix-up). So because we and another party were so late, Neil rescheduled the tour for the following afternoon. I also told Neil I was especially interested in LGBTQ history and the Harlem Renaissance and he did a good job of adding that information into the tour. It is not an easy tour to deliver, since many of the landmark places are no longer there, but Neil did a good job recreating the feel of the Harlem Renaissance. I like that Neil is committed to the community and that he recommended places for us to go after the tour was finished. It was a very hot day and by the end we were all a bit weary....but I found myself very engaged in trying to understand Harlem, past and present, and its place in American history.

1  Thank MiriHUE
Reviewed July 20, 2015

We had the pleasure of spending a thought provoking, interesting and fun afternoon with tour guide and Harlem historian, Andi Owens. He was informative, interesting and entertaining. Highly recommend this tour run by Harlem locals... not outsiders. Well done... I will be taking other tours they offer.

Reviewed July 16, 2015

Neil Shoemaker has done his research -- he knows Harlem's rich history, geography, politics, and he shares that knowledge with you on his walking tours of the neighborhood. Along the way, he employs his backpack tricked out with speakers and an iPad to allow you hear the sounds and songs of Harlem's past and present; he shares images of each stop in its heyday, and even recites along with Garvey, Powell, and Malcolm X, as their famed speeches echo on the steps where they were first spoken.

His energy, love, and enthusiasm for Harlem is real and palpable. He made my day and created one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had uptown!

2  Thank sallyh264