“An Enlightening Experience”

and up
Harlem Renaissance Multimedia Walking Tour
Ranked #89 of 610 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Harlem Heritage Tours was founded in 1998 to use the industry of tourism as a tool to preserve Harlem's history and to contribute to the development of our local economy. Tours are conducted by those who were born and raised in Harlem, providing visitors with and nsiders view of our culture. Harlem Heritage Tours strives to provide the most innovation experiences in tourism and with the tech advances of modern day, it's been fun to create new tours. We look forward to seeing you in Harlem.
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“An Enlightening Experience”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

While I have visited NYC many times, this was the first time I had been in Harlem. My preconceived notions were pleasantly changed. The architecture is magnificent! i had the opportunity to participate in a gospel baptist church service, which though enjoyable, seemed a bit of an intrusion to the parishioners. The tour guide, an 85 year old man, was lively and well informed having lived in Harlem much of his life. I felt however that the tour was a bit stale and rote, perhaps because it has been conducted so often by the same guides. Additionally, we were continually hurried along.

Visited April 2013
loveharlem, Owner at Harlem Heritage Tours, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
My name is Neal Shoemaker and I own and operate Harlem Heritage Tours. As always I want to thank those who take time to write reviews of our tours. I'm happy to know that the preconceived nothions of Harlem were dispelled by Andi and that you found him to be lively and well informed, despite mentioning that the tour was stale and rote.

We work hard to avoid intruding upon the parishioners of the churches that we attend and that's why I have my guests sit one level up from the area where local parishioners congregate. We take this matter very seriously and will make all adjustments necessary to create a mutually beneficial relationship between my guests who come on Sundays and those who worship regularly in Harlem. The Pastor welcomes the tourists to his church and as he announces their country of origin he asks them to stand. The parishioners then applaud the tourists and then extend their hands and thank them for coming.

Andi is a great tour guide with a wealth of knowledge about Harlem. I always try to add value to the Sunday morning gospel tours by adding an interior visit to one of Harlem's many cultural institutions.

On many occasions I'm able to schedule my guests to enter the Apollo Theater at the end of the tour to walk and perform on the very stage where the likes of Micheal Jackson started their careers. On these occasions the tour is shortened some what so that we are able to get to the Apollo Theater on schedule, we ask the tourists if this is what they want to do, if they say yes then the tour may seem a bit hurried.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Taste Of Harlem Tour”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We went on the Taste of Harlem tour and thouroughly enjoyed it! Our tour guide, Neal, did a fabulous job of making the history of harlem come to live with his music and voice. We stopped at the important areas of Harlem and more importantly, stopped at some delicious places to get some grub. While eating the food, we learned about how this food came to be important in the Harlem area. By the time our tour was done I felt like I had seen and learned about Harlem at a whole new level than I knew before. In addition, we were able to go into the Applo theatre and see where some famous musicians have performed including the Jackson 5, Justin Bieber, and Taylor Swift. This was not part of the original walking tour but Neal has the hook ups in Harlem! Highly reccomomended!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful, fun tour”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We went on the food tour with Neal. He treated us to an extensive walking tour, some tasty food, and extended the tour by an extra 1/2 hour to bring us to the Apollo, where his contact at the theater gave his time to show us around --- and let us see the theater for the vantage of the stage. That was worth the total cost alone --- which was very reasonable. Neil's tour company is a great value --- if you are in NYC, you must go to Harlem , and let Neal show you the wonderful things going on there.

Selma, Alabama
“"The Sting Is Back" In Harlem”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This tour was absolutly Amazing. This was my very 1st time visting New York and this tour was an added extra to the many spectecular sites in the city. I am a middle/high school band director, however I have a very deep passion for Black History and History as a whole. I have heard about Harlem and its rich histroy and this tour added so much more to my love for history. The tour guide was SUPER in his delivery of factual details about Harlem. If I ever visit New York again I plan to bring my wife and children on this tour.

Visited April 2013
“It was a great Experience he showed selma alabama a great time.”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I enjoyed it I even got a chance to visit my aunt during the tour he shared very interesting things with us.We visited very memorable sites. I Loved it Awesome