“Good Indian Food”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 3rd & Lexington
Transit: Grand Central
Description: Darbar Indian restaurant has a prime location in midtown Manhattan, right in the heart of New York City, and is a superb choice for authentic Indian food and ambiance. Besides the traditional korma and tandoori preparations, the kitchen experiments with trans-ethnic fusion dishes like Maine crab cakes, and potato croquettes stuffed with goat cheese. Make sure to take advantage of the lunch buffet special, with seafood, lamb or goat, chicken, vegetables, salads and much more.
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had Indian food after trying out all western delicacies near us in our week stay in NYC. Food was great but was on a costlier side. Ambiance can be improved in the dining area on 1st floor.

1  Thank Harsh C

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Good values for lunchtime buffet. There are a number of dishes that you can fill up on and they bring you the naan or poori to your table. There are some hot sauces that you can out on. I have always gone with others to the buffet so I am not aware of other items they may have but this is a very good value.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I often hunt down Indian restaurants as it's one of my favorite types of cuisine. I have learned to cook certain dishes myself. We found Dabar and were excited to dine there. The ambiance is lovely, we were seated upstairs where it was nice and quiet near a window. The service was excellent but the reason I gave 3 stars is that the food was OK.....not typical Indian cuisine as I've had in other restaurants in all my world wide travels. I ordered the eggplant bharta which I've had in other Indian restaurants and unfortunately, this one wasn't close to standard. It was made with too much tomato paste. This was the first time I've had eggplant bharta made with tomato paste. It was also too salty. The naan was good and the waiter who brought the food served us the rice by spooning it on to our plates which was very nice. Sorry Dabar, but that is my first and last time to your restaurant, I need to hunt down another one in New York.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Pros
Nice atmosphere
Friendly and polite waiters
Excellent nan bread

Cons
Tame Food

General
The chef should visit either India or England for a summer School in Indian cooking

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Husband and I went there for dinner.

Pros: Nice atmosphere and decent service. Quality of the food was very good. The Beetroot Malai Kofta, a house specialty, was absolutely delicious! I am not a fan of beets, but these surprised me. They had a slight sweetness to them and a moist cake texture that melted in my mouth. Probably one of the better sit down restaurants in that general vicinity. Husband enjoyed his Chicken Tikka Masala. Chicken was moist and sauce was flavorful.

Cons: 4 small pieces of chicken in the Chicken Tikka Masala and only 4 small balls of the Beetroot malai kofta. An order of bread consisted of one piece of bread cut in half. Only wish that there had been more meat or Beetroot balls rather than just 4 small pieces. Was disappointed by the small quantities for the price, but the quality of the food was very good and made it worth the visit.

We will be returning on a future visit to NYC.