“Beetroot Malai Kofta are melt-in-your mouth delicious!”

Darbar Fine Indian Cuisine
Ranked #1,059 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 3rd & Lexington
Transit: Grand Central
Description: Darbar Indian restaurant has a prime location in midtown Manhattan, right in the heart of New York City, and is a superb choice for authentic Indian food and ambiance. Besides the traditional korma and tandoori preparations, the kitchen experiments with trans-ethnic fusion dishes like Maine crab cakes, and potato croquettes stuffed with goat cheese. Make sure to take advantage of the lunch buffet special, with seafood, lamb or goat, chicken, vegetables, salads and much more.
Purcellville, Virginia
“Beetroot Malai Kofta are melt-in-your mouth delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

Husband and I went there for dinner.

Pros: Nice atmosphere and decent service. Quality of the food was very good. The Beetroot Malai Kofta, a house specialty, was absolutely delicious! I am not a fan of beets, but these surprised me. They had a slight sweetness to them and a moist cake texture that melted in my mouth. Probably one of the better sit down restaurants in that general vicinity. Husband enjoyed his Chicken Tikka Masala. Chicken was moist and sauce was flavorful.

Cons: 4 small pieces of chicken in the Chicken Tikka Masala and only 4 small balls of the Beetroot malai kofta. An order of bread consisted of one piece of bread cut in half. Only wish that there had been more meat or Beetroot balls rather than just 4 small pieces. Was disappointed by the small quantities for the price, but the quality of the food was very good and made it worth the visit.

We will be returning on a future visit to NYC.

• Visited June 2014

New York City, New York
“Darbar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Very ordinary Indian food. The lunch buffet is disappointing, with dry tandoor chicken and less variety than most..

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Marc L
Salford, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

We shared a 4 course set meal for our wedding anniversary. It was a relatively quiet Monday night but the staff were very friendly and helpful. The good was very tasty and there was a good choice on the menu. The restaurant was close to our hotel and we booked well in advance. Overall it was the best meal we had in New York even if we struggled to finish it!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Sibylvanity
Brooklyn, New York
“Tasty food, convenient, and moderately priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

My office is a block from Darbar and I've eaten there at least a dozen times. I like being able to grab a plate and serve myself from the buffet, which is very reasonably priced for midtown Manhattan at $13.95. There are a fair number of dishes of various kinds of meat and veggies. My favorites are the chicken, lamb, and creamed spinach (though the spinach was a bit salty for my taste the last time I tried it). Pita bread served at the table is soft and delicious. I usually go back to the buffet for seconds, even though I'm already full. Service is excellent at the door, not as good at the table -- sometimes the staff keeps your water glass full, sometimes it doesn't, and it can take a while to get the check; usually I have to request it once or twice. I take business associates to lunch here and they are always quite comfortable and satisfied. Darbar takes credit cards, which you'd think would be standard by now but I'll mention it anyway because there are still some holdouts in NYC.

• Visited May 2014
Owensboro, Kentucky
“Food: above average. Service: indifferent.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

I had the lamb palak. The sauce was flavorful. The lamb pieces could have been tenderer, but they were fine when sliced into smaller pieces - no fat or gristle. The nan was excellent. Our Malbec was very nice. We ate upstairs and it was a pleasant setting. The hostess who seated us was friendly and welcoming. Our server was efficient, but preoccupied, made no eye contact. There appeared to be some unhappiness/dissension among staff members the evening we were there. Entrees are moderately priced, especially for NYC.

• Visited May 2014