“Tasty food, convenient, and moderately priced” 4 of 5 bubbles

Darbar Fine Indian Cuisine
Ranked #1,160 of 13,476 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian, Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 3rd & Lexington
Transit: Grand Central
Description: Darbar Indian restaurant has a prime location in midtown Manhattan, right in the heart of New York City, and is a superb choice for authentic Indian food and ambiance. Besides the traditional korma and tandoori preparations, the kitchen experiments with trans-ethnic fusion dishes like Maine crab cakes, and potato croquettes stuffed with goat cheese. Make sure to take advantage of the lunch buffet special, with seafood, lamb or goat, chicken, vegetables, salads and much more.
Brooklyn, New York
“Tasty food, convenient, and moderately priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

My office is a block from Darbar and I've eaten there at least a dozen times. I like being able to grab a plate and serve myself from the buffet, which is very reasonably priced for midtown Manhattan at $13.95. There are a fair number of dishes of various kinds of meat and veggies. My favorites are the chicken, lamb, and creamed spinach (though the spinach was a bit salty for my taste the last time I tried it). Pita bread served at the table is soft and delicious. I usually go back to the buffet for seconds, even though I'm already full. Service is excellent at the door, not as good at the table -- sometimes the staff keeps your water glass full, sometimes it doesn't, and it can take a while to get the check; usually I have to request it once or twice. I take business associates to lunch here and they are always quite comfortable and satisfied. Darbar takes credit cards, which you'd think would be standard by now but I'll mention it anyway because there are still some holdouts in NYC.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Owensboro, Kentucky
“Food: above average. Service: indifferent.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

I had the lamb palak. The sauce was flavorful. The lamb pieces could have been tenderer, but they were fine when sliced into smaller pieces - no fat or gristle. The nan was excellent. Our Malbec was very nice. We ate upstairs and it was a pleasant setting. The hostess who seated us was friendly and welcoming. Our server was efficient, but preoccupied, made no eye contact. There appeared to be some unhappiness/dissension among staff members the evening we were there. Entrees are moderately priced, especially for NYC.

Amsterdam
“Really great taste!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I live in Netherlands and have tried several Indian restaurants and there are some really great ones. On my trip to NY, I went to this restaurant and was really blown away by the great taste they have. I must say I was impressed by the taste of food there. We ordered several dishes and the taste was so good. The hosts were welcoming too. I will highly recommend going to this restaurant.

1 Thank AbhishekDwivedi
Ranchi
“Great Indian Buffet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

Visited the restaurant on my visit to New york in April 2014 and the Indian Buffet was great, with south indian and North Indian spread.

Do try the Kulfi and mutton curry

• Visited April 2014
New York City, New York
“Enjoyable Indian Food in Midtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

Ate hear before seeing a play in the Theater District. The food was filling and burned some of it off walking to the theater.

Good:
-1000 point RSVP on OpenTable.com
-Samosa appetizers (2 per order)
-Cheese & Garlin Naan was yummy
-Chicken Vindaloo
-Shrimp Curry was great
-Palek Paneer
-Good Lunch buffet price/value
-Service was great (the waiter plates your food initially)
-Decor and detail in the restaurant/bar are tasteful yet elegant

Bad:
-Prepare to pay midtown prices for the food, $100+ night for two people

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles