“Enjoyable experience with group”

Darbar Fine Indian Cuisine
Ranked #1,195 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian, Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 3rd & Lexington
Transit: Grand Central
Description: Darbar Indian restaurant has a prime location in midtown Manhattan, right in the heart of New York City, and is a superb choice for authentic Indian food and ambiance. Besides the traditional korma and tandoori preparations, the kitchen experiments with trans-ethnic fusion dishes like Maine crab cakes, and potato croquettes stuffed with goat cheese. Make sure to take advantage of the lunch buffet special, with seafood, lamb or goat, chicken, vegetables, salads and much more.
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our group of 9 had dinner here before heading out to the theater. We had a quiet table upstairs. Overall the food was excellent - we had a large variety of dishes including chicken korma, garlic shrimp, 2 types of lamb, saag paneer, naan, etc. Our greeter was a bit cool, but the other wait staff were cordial and conscientious about getting us out in time for the theater.

There are newer reviews for Darbar Fine Indian Cuisine

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have eaten few times Indian food but I´m not an Indian food expert. Partly that´s why I had a training kind of buffet with a person who knows something about it.
There was like ten different dishes (or species), which consisted of mixed northern and southern type of Indian food. If I remember it right, northern "style" was more dominant. So there were e.g. Tikka Masala, Goat Curry, Vegetable Korms, Tandori Chicken, Palak Paneer etc.
During my short introduction lecture to Indian food I also really enjoyed all the different tastes of it.
The atmosphere including the staff gave the impression of better than just an average place to eat lunch.
For me, also the dessert options were new interesting experience and tasteful. If thinking of the price and quality ratio, I could recommend Darbar as a good choice. And because I´m still not an expert, might help, that my friend would agree.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Everything we had tasted great - we started with a Samosa, then had a goat curry and a dhal dish, and some naan. The meat was very tender and the sauces great, as expected from good Indian food. The dishes were not huge, but the right size for us. Nice atmosphere and good service. The brought as appetizers and drinks immediately and were very friendly.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I would not recommend Darbar. The food was ok, but portions were tiny (meat dishes came with 4-5 small pieces of meat swimming in sauce), and the service was ABYSMAL. It took almost 45 minutes from the time we finished ordering until they brought any food (even bread and appetizers) and the table for two next to us had to wait even longer because they didn’t get up and ask the waiter to please bring anything that was ready whenever it was ready. We had to run after them to ask for another beer. We figured out why the service is so bad – you can’t decide on the tip, they just add 18% service charge onto the check so the wait staff has no incentive to give good service.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The food was truly very good. My daughter and I see ourselves as Indian food experts. Of course we are no real experts but we do love indian food and wherever we are, we try to have a decent indian dinner. It was very good service was great.
The only minus we found was the size of the dishes. Large a bit to much and not what we're used too. But then sizes tend to be different at this part of the world. So no complaints.

1  Thank Julie66_12