“Clean hotel in great location”
Review of Hotel Mela

Hotel Mela
Ranked #269 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Orlando, fl
“Clean hotel in great location”
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I had never been to New York and chose this hotel because of its central location. It is right in the middle of Times Square which was really convenient. It is a smaller hotel with small elevators but everyone was really friendly and helpful. I didn't have any issues. The room was cleaned every day and the complimentary H20 products were a nice bonus. I was in the deluxe king room and it was not as small as I was expecting due to the other reviews. It wasn't big by any means, but it's New York City! The bed was VERY comfortable. If we wanted to stay in Times Square again, we would definitely stay here!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Wonderful boutique style hotel in Manhattan. Location is great with a metro stop a couple blocks away. The rooms are small but have everything you need and are very comfortable. The staff was wonderful. Overall a very enjoyable night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

My first experience at Hotel Mela will also be my last. Even by NYC standards, the rooms are tiny. I had booked a room with a queen bed, and was first given a room with a full. I asked for a change, and regretted it, as I gave up a desk and floor any floor space. My room was a bed with 18" of clearance on 3 sides, and wardrobe that was not tall enough to hold a jacket. The Paramount may be the only smaller room in NYC. The front desk was rude in changing my room, and then gave me bum directions to a nearby well-known restaurant. Just nothing to redeem this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank TodATL
nickhotelmela, General Manager at Hotel Mela, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Hello Dear Guest,

I would also like to sincerely apologize about the several mishaps during your stay.

We pride ourselves on unique personal service and high quality guest rooms; unfortunately we did not deliver that experience to you on your visit.
Our standards require us to accommodate you in the room you originally reserved which means ensuring you received an Executive King room. I’m also very sorry to hear we did not offer a very warm welcoming check-in experience. Please know this is not indicate of our standards and we are following up immediately with our staff members.

Feel free to contact myself directly or anyone of my colleagues and they will be more then happy to assist you and recover this unfortunate stay.

Yours in Service,

Nick Ivezaj
Hotel Mela
Direct: 212-710-7008
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed February 7, 2014

This past week was my 4th stay at Hotel Mela. When I entered the hotel this time, I was greeted by a wonderful aroma. Apparently some NYC hotels now have their own specific scents; the apple-mango scent of Hotel Mela is wonderful!!! (They should sell it).

Danny and Joel at the front desk were perfect gentlemen. They answered all my questions, looked up restaurants for me, offered me a map and gave me directions to where I was heading. My only complaint is that they couldn't sell me a candle!!

My bed was very comfortable and I love the glass-in shower. All in all I had a great (2-night) experience!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I was here in January for Business and I Will come back for sure: quick and professional service at Front Desk , Fantastic Room with a very comfortable bed, clean and well furnished bathroom and indeed very well positioned!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The night-shift receptionist was totally impolite when we wondered if there were slippers available on phone. He ended the call without any response. He asked "what room?" Instead of "may I have your room number please?"
Although the location is good, room was clean, we may not stay in this hotel again deal to its terrible service attitude.

• Stayed February 2014
Singapore
Reviewed February 4, 2014

While the location is good (close to Times Square, Broadway, 5th Avenue) I was a bit underwhelmed with the hotel itself. Check in took some time as they were busy and only 2 people on front desk. My room wasn't ready and I had to wait 15mins for someone to come and store my bags and when I came back to go to my room, I was initially brought the wrong bags! I was given a room on a high floor and it was a reasonable size for NY standards. Room was clean and functional, although annoyingly the wifi did not work in the room. The heater in the room was a little noisy but I had a room looking towards the back so luckily I didn't have any street noise.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo