“Great Hotel, Great Location”
Review of Hotel Mela

Hotel Mela
Ranked #255 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My husband and I took our daughter to see Annie on Broadway and stayed at Hotel Mela. We had an amazing time. The room was the perfect size for us and very clean and modern. The hotel uses H20 spa products; which was a pleasant surprise. The staff was very attentive especially, Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Kennedy. I inadvertently moved an item in the minibar (making room for my daughter's water) and was charged for the item but a quick call to the front desk had the charge removed. The Bistro attached to the hotel is awesome as is the cafe across the street. So much to do; so little time. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BruinDot
Write a ReviewReviews (4,276)

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed the weekend with a friend here, right off Times Square, an area I normally wouldn't choose, but I got a deal on the room. The staff was top notch, friendly and attentive when needed.

The room itself was clean, bedding was comfortable (no bed bugs -- I checked as soon as I arrived), and the bath was nice as well. Unfortunately there was no place to stash suitcases and the one stand/table was full of MiniBar items that were touch sensitive (10 seconds away from the sensor and you were charged, for example, $10.35 for a small bottle of water). I left some personal items in the room and did not here back from the staff as of yet, which is a bit surprising.

I would definitely stay here again but maybe upgrade to a slightly bigger room.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed there on my quick visit to NYC and I loved it! The service is great. The room was clean and comfy. I must say it was a lil small but still nice. I had an issue with really noisy ppl in the room next to mine... Called front desk and within 5 mins they were up to give the ppl a warning which was expressive! I recommend it to everybody

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Saadya
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

3 of us were traveling and had know idea that the rooms were going to be small. They were able to accommodate us with a bigger room.It's a nice boutique hotel, but the customer service is outstanding they even provide free umbrellas and apples. Nice hotel for a girls trip and it's affordable very affordable.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Winterariel
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Great experience at Mela. Went with my wife and booked an Executive King Room. Nicely sized room; It was spacious, very clean, and was extremely quiet. Read reviews about small rooms but this was more then enough size for us. They use H20 Spa products in the room which are fantastic. Also they serve Lavazza Italian roast coffee in their room coffee makers which is a top quality coffee. Fully stocked minibars with all kinds of drinks/liquors which work off a sensor so be careful not to take anything unless you want to buy it. All in all it was a fantastic trip, service was great and I would definitely go back. Only drawback was the hotel def does have some smaller elevators but no big deal. Also kudos to the manager Patrick who assisted us with our trip!

Room Tip: I would book the Executive King
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sokoly I
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to New York. Stayed here on recommendation from one of his friends at work. Small boutique rooms (every hotel room in NY is small, so don't be put off by that.)
However these were immaculate.
The staff were fantastic and were genuinely nice and welcoming whenever running in to anyone in the halls, elevator etc.
the icing on the cake for us was a free upgrade to a limousine in car transfers to the airport on our departure. Over all an excellent hotel, excellent location with absolutely fantastic staff: thanks for helping make this birthday trip an unforgettable experience!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Smurph61
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Hotel Mela provided one of the best stays I've had anywhere in the world, like a small European family-run hotel. Everyone on the staff was friendly and helpful, the room and bed were comfortable, everything very clean, it felt safe (I'm a grandma) and the location made it possible to walk wherever, including from and to the Newark airport shuttle. I would have been happy to discover the adjoining restaurant had I stayed somewhere else -- a dinner the first night and complimentary breakfasts were excellent, as was the service. Yes, it's small, but that just made it easier to enjoy -- no trekking through miles of halls. I've been recommending it and hope to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends