“Very Reasonable and Comfortable”
Review of Hotel Mela

Hotel Mela
Ranked #265 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here for two nights for business and pleasure. Thanks to Anna(?) at the reception who was kind enough to give the room to me even as I arrived at 7.30 AM. Most hotels would assess a surcharge. My room is rather small, probably the smallest the hotel has. But the bed was comfortable enough and the bathroom is nicely equipped and clean! Strategically located if you plan on watching Broadway show and close enough to Times Square and the subway. There is a deli close to the hotel for breakfast. Wifi is strong and free. Highly recommended especially if you get the deals offered through various hotel booking sites.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 13, 2013

My sister and I stayed at The Hotel Mela while we were in town for the NY marathon and for sight-seeing. We were there 5 nights, so we encountered many staff members. All except one was exceptionally helpful and all were friendly and courteous.
Our room was on the 10th floor in the back of the hotel. For New York, it was extremely quiet. Our bed was comfortable, and we had a separate sitting area with a desk, which was nice. The bathroom was small but well equipped.
We were warned about the minbar when we checked in, and told not to touch anything or we might be charged. We didn't open it, but still there was a beverage charge on my sister's credit card. We told the front desk, and hopefully the charge was removed after they checked the minibar. They must have frequent complaints about it, so I am glad they tried to warn us.
The location is great (we walked to the theater), and it's on a side street that is not as hectic as the avenues. I would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: A higher floor, in the back of the hotel, was very quiet. Not much of a view, but then who cares? Yo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Me and my wife visited NY in July and stayed here for 4 nights. The location is the best thing about the hotel which is about 30 seconds away from Time Square. The rooms are generally clean but the air con was very noisy. Perhaps 20 year old one. The reception was not helpful when i asked for an adaptor, and getting our taxi back to JFK. The lobby is very small, in fact only enough space for couple of settees. It has no restaurants so they are using the restaurant next to them. We had our breakfast there everyday and we thought it was nice. I would not go back there only because of the attitude of a lady at the reception who was tall i think with dark skin.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights. Great staff. They are as helpful as can be. When ever we had a request, they jumped right on it. We never waited for anything. I had traveled for work for years and always stayed in the big corporate hotels. Now I have switched to the smaller hotels. I have never looked back. Our room was a good size with a king bed. I would stay again. What else can you say.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank in2art
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the second time, for two nights on a business trip. Location is fantastic as it is right next to Times Square. The rooms are on the small side, but are very clean and perfectly adequate, the toiletries are great! No breakfast is served at the hotel but there is lots of choice locally - the bar next door does a great breakfast! Avoid the mini bar, water is $10.75!!!! Virgils just along the way does great food in the evening and the atmosphere is great. Overall a very good choice, enjoy,

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2013

It was 24 years ago that I paid a visit to this city, me and wife we wanted to go back but not in the usual way, we embarque on a ship in Amsterdam (Eurodam) we sail away the 27th of August visiting two ports in Norway Trontheim and Bergen, after Reykjavic (Iceland) where we stay two days, Greenland, Nova Scotia, St. John's and Halifax and after 17 days of cruise fun we reached New York at 5 in the morning, it was still dark but we could see two beam of light reaching the sky; the spot where the Twin Towers where standing before 09112001. We could see also the whole Manhattan like an Huge Christmas tree. We desembarque at 11 pm. very orderly and efficient, from the hall up to the taxi location was about 300/400 meters. Anyhow we took a cab to the Hotel Mela on 44th st. very near Times Square $15 fare. The room was not ready but we could place our luggage in the store room. Just 100 meters away Times Square, with an huge Levi's shop. I did't reconise the place many changes in 24 years, many ,many new shops commercials on the buildings and a lot of noise. The hotel: the rooms are small, very small but clean and with every thing you need , we had a window but we where facing a brick wall, that makes the room dark, for one night is ok but not for a longer stay, The next morning I went to the reception and I ask for another room for the last 5 days, no problem with that they moved the luggage for us, and we had a room on the street side with more light and it was also a little bigger. Coffe and tea on the room are free, water, sodasa and snaks cost money, not cheap! Water from the tub is potable and we could drink it, the bathroom was equipped with a large towel a smaller one plus two smaller ones for each person. The bed is very good, a lot of pillows. The room had no table or chairs, there is a fridge with drinks. No restaurant available, for breakfast you have to go out or buy something the day before.
there is a taxi service for the airport; $ 45 for two person (35$ for the cab 10$ commission for the hotel). 24 years ago we where in a hotel on 46th street also near Times Square, he was cheaper and bigger. For a long stay I do not think this is good, for one or two night is ok
I spend more the 2000 E for 6 nights and I think this is to much,
For those who like musicals; Annie was really good! Chicago was bad!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on street side, more space/light and very little noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EnricoD2
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. The location and price were great; however, the room was very small, a lot smaller than we expected for what was listed as a 4 star hotel. There was limited storage and luggage and no desk or chair in the room. You had to be on the bed to do anything. The staff was friendly and helpful and housekeeping was very good!

Room Tip: The hotel restaurant is very expensive and a reasonably priced breakfast can be obtained directly ac...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple