“new york for st.patricks day”
Review of Hotel Mela

Hotel Mela
Ranked #268 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 23, 2013

central location in Times Square.rooms first class and serviced daily.only drawback was no central lighting in bedroom,but ancilliary lights were o.kwould reccommend to friends.friendly staff who were really helpful with telephone &internet info for a pair of seniors who are not very au fait with telecommunition.

Room Tip: higher floors have less a/c unit noise
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,172)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights recently. The hotel itself is very well located, literally only steps from times Square, which is very handy for shows, night-life etc.

We checked in very late on Friday night and when we got to our room i couldn't find the safe. I thought this was just because I was tired but a full check the next day showed no safe. I reported this to the front desk twice the next day and they advised they would have an engineer look at this ASAP. As a result I had to leave some items at the front desk when we were going out which was not ideal. The next day the problem was still not resolved and it was only after another call and personal visit to the front desk that it was resolved and a new safe was installed. I also had to call twice for a plumber to be sent to our room to fix the toilet (after housekeeping ignored our note). These experiences would indicate that the hotel are not very efficient at resolving problems for guests.

The room itself was perfectly fine, if a little small. Bed was comfy, shower was good and had good toiletries provided.

The hotel has no bar or restaurant itself, although there are some next door. Mini=bar is electronically activated so if you move something it charges you. Prices were very high for this as well.

I do not think i would stay here again as I think there are better hotels for the money in New York and would describe it overall as average.

1  Thank roryandmichelle
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Great location to see everything. The room was very clean with very comfortable bed. The staff was very friendly. I had a very good time in New York and would stay at this hotel again. The wireless internet was not strong enough and hope they get a better system. They did offer to move us closer to the modem but we were not willing to move because we were to busy having fun. I used the hot spot on my phone.

Room Tip: Request room close to wireless if getting on the internet is important to you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Phyllis H
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I just spent 3 nights at Hotel Mela, and all I can say, it that it was worth every penny! John Paul and all of the staff are terrific, very accomidating and frieindly. They go out of thier way to make sure you feel welcome and enjoy your stay. The rooms are small but so what, it's New York! Very close to Time's Square and the Theatre District, easy walk to most all of the major attractions, but far enough away to be nice a quiet at night. We cannot wait to return. Thank you Hotel Mela! You helped make we trip wonderful

1  Thank Tarmor
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I can't believe I have seen reviews moaning about the room sizes!! You're in New York all you need is a bed and a shower! We were welcomed with ease and checking in and out with no problems, staff were polite friendly and extremely helpful, we were on the 12 floor at the front and I have to say if you are a light sleeper (I am) you may struggle with the horn honking from Times Square and whistle blowing from the doorman in the opposite hotel waving in cars but it didn't trouble me enough to complain, minibar is over priced but aren't they all! No problem with the Wi Fi at all connected easy and effortlessly, be aware that at this time there is some construction work going on in the building opposite, but we didn't have any noise from it ( just make sure you draw the curtains before you come out of the shower! ) beds were made everyday and the only thing I would say is the shower flooring could do with a little update as the tiles are a tad old but not something that was off putting, tv worked fine.
Location is awesome, a quick walk and you're in Times Square. Will definitely be coming back! Thanks hotel mela!

1  Thank frindabelle
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This boutique hotel is located in the heart of midtown...literally steps from Times Square.

Lobby is small and not a very welcoming space. The rooms are basic and showing some minor wear. Our carpet was not vacuumed regularly and hairs were consistently left behind in the bathroom despite daily visits by the cleaning staff. Also, the minibar in the room operates on a sensor system, so do not touch anything unless you wish to buy it. Additionally, ice is only available upon request, which is another minor hassle.

Overall, it was a good experience, especially since we scored a great rate on hotels.com, but it left a little to be desired.

1  Thank Cleared4takeoff
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is the 2nd time we have stayed here now, and to be honest I can't see us staying anywhere else in Manhattan!
The location is just steps away from Times Square, but in a really quiet spot.
The rooms are spotless and very modern, staff friendly and helpful.
The only thing I would say is be careful what you touch in the minibar - even if you don't have it! We found out after we had left that we had been charged for something we never had because everything in the minibar is on a sensor. So if you pick something up to take a look you will be charged! Only thing is though was that they never mentioned the charge when we were checking out, it just appeared on our card after. So double check when you leave!
Other than that though it really is a great hotel and we will definitely stay there again if we return to NYC :)

• Stayed: March 2013