“Comfy and central”

Hotel 309
Sydney, Australia
“Comfy and central”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I love this place - this was my second stay at 309 and I always recommend this place for the comfort, price and location. Matt is very friendly and helpful and will try to accommodate all your needs. Great place :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Simone M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We arrived a day late for our stay at hotel 309 after being delayed by our airline and unfortunately we forgot to let the hotel know.

Upon arriving at the hotel (tired and excited to be in New York) we got a very poor reception from the gentleman on reception. After explaining we were late for our check in we were told this was going to cause 'real problems'. He would have to go to a real effort of re-checking us in. We explained we didn't have a problem paying for the 1st night that we weren't there, but he still said that it would be a problem.

Eventually after around 10 - 15 minutes (whilst we stood there feeling very uncomfortable) he got us our room sorted and we paid the balance in US dollars. A couple of days after leaving the hotel I noticed there had been an extra £80 taken out of my account which I am disputing to what this was for (I'm presuming it's because we were late arriving).

The actual hotel was 'ok' for what we wanted. Wasn't a nice atmosphere to the place but was reasonably clean and tidy. Just a shame we didn't get a more friendly welcome. We stayed at around 10 different hotels and hostels on our trip and this was the only one I wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Vanno84
hotel309, General Manager at Hotel 309, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. I am very sorry and disappointed to hear that your reception at the hotel was unsatisfactory. Guest service is truly our highest priority. I expect nothing less of my staff than friendly, helpful and responsive assistance to all our customers at all times. Clearly our receptionist that night handled this situation incorrectly. If you could provide me with more information, I would take it upon myself to discuss this situation with the employee. Additionally, if you are willing to give us another shot I am certain we can provide an excellent level of service. I would like to offer you a free night at the hotel. If you are interested in the offer, please write to me at Hotel309@Gmail.com. Again, please accept my apologies for the unsatisfactory check in experience and I hope to hear from you.

Best,

Matthew Miller

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Wollongong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Only stayed 1 night but hotel was exactly as described. Room was small but efficient and only complaint was that the pull out sofa was rock hard and needed to be replaced. The manager was excellent with so much helpful advice and assisted us with a car the next day. Also changed our room so we didn't have to lug our cases upstairs.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Wendy J
Sunnyvale, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

I had a last minute business trip and this was the only hotel that still had rooms in the area I needed to be that fit in our corporate pricing guidelines. I had some trepidation after reading reviews from the past, but decided to weather the storm.

The location was great, near a subway stop and two blocks from my meeting. The staff was helpful and provided the level of service I expected. The room was adequate and clean, and remained that way through the stay. My only major complaints are noise and temperature. The hotel is on W 14th, and the vibe is active. A lot of street noise, and there is no sound insulation. I should have brought earplugs; without them it was not quiet enough for sleep until after 2 AM. Temperature is more under control of the management and needs some attention. There is a single radiator in the room and even at full throttle it could not keep up with the draft coming in through the window. Management must know about the draft as there is duct tape around the edges to try to solve the issue. It may help but is insufficient. The problem was exacerbated by the single, very thin blanket available. The blanket is probably sufficient in the summer, but no where near adequate when the outside temperature is in the teens. I wore three layers in bed to keep warm enough to sleep. If I stay here again I will carry the sleeping liner I use while trekking.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CyclistRick
Hampshire, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

room was cold, window drafty, I asked for another blanket, there was only 1 thin blanket in December I used it folded in half on one side of the bed. It was noisy at night. TV was at the end of the bed and futon was the same side so had to sit on the bed to see TV. Kitchenette had fridge water heater and microwave. There is a supermarket very close, which was good for me. It suited me,on my own & being walking distance from my relative, but only just acceptable, for a fairly high price. If you can afford to pay more, find somewhere else!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Mount Olive, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

The staff was not nice and helpful at all. There was one guy who was really rude. Also, I had to pay money to use wireless, but it sucked. I had to wait like forever to access into a website. The room was dirty, wet and smelled really bad. They gave me a key to open my room's door and also the door of the hotel. However, the key got problem everyday. I couldnt open the hotel's door to get in and had to wait outside when it was snowing until somebody came to open it for me. I had to give them they key for reactivating every time it happened, and they seemed really mad and rude. They also did not have AC. They used heaters instead, and it was freezing in the room. The blanket was terrible. It was like a rug.
Just do not waste your money here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alice793
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I agree with some of the others that have posted here. This hotel is a poor value for the money. The management charges for things that most other hotels (AND hostels!) provide for free, and the bathrooms are dirty. I've stayed in hostels all around the world, and most had cleaner bathrooms than this hotel. It's stuffy, dingy and dark. Wifi isn't free and you have to pay them $10 to hold your bags after you check out if you still have a few hours to kill before your flight or train. It is a terrible value for the money. We paid $227.00 per night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple