“Enjoyable Stay at the Hilton New York”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #328 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Our family of six booked a suite at the Hilton New York. We had two Queen beds and a pull-out sofa, which was perfect for the family. Overall, we found this hotel to be excellent. Although this Hilton seems to be primarily a business hotel, we found many families there as well. The location in mid-town is great - convenient to Times Square, shopping, Central Park, Rockafeller Center, subway stops, etc. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly and professional. After 10 pm, guests are required to show their room cards in order to get into the hotel lobby. Our suite was on the 43rd floor and we had access to the lounge, where we had a complimentary breakfast daily. Breakfast consisted of bagels, cold cereals, sweet pastries, and fresh fruit, as well as juice, coffee and tea. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Runningmom
Write a ReviewReviews (10,622)

Reviewed August 9, 2007

Located in midtown, so for business its perfect. Otherwise the trendy parts of Manhattan are a taxi/subway ride away. The hotel has 3 restaurants, the main one is too expensive, the middle one isn't good, but the bar is pretty decent. The gym has every you would need for a weary business travelers and the rooms are bigger then most New York hotels. If you can attain some status in Hilton Honors you will usually be upgraded.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank RawwDogg
Reviewed August 4, 2007

I stayed one week in this hotel to visit New York. Its location is fantastic, very close to Central Park and Rockefeller Centre, Grand Central Station is also easily reachable. The view from the room is as good as you can get from a hotel in New York. I payed around 700USD per night and it was well worth the price. The rooms are clean and have enough space if you're traveling solo or in a couple. The common areas are also very spacious and stylish. Staff was always very professional and friendly. All amenities that you expect are to be found in this hotel. Breakfast is good and with a large variety of choice. Can't tell very much about lunch/dinner since I didn't eat there. This is a very recommendable hotel.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank Alberich
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We booked this hotel on priceline for $100 a night by naming our own price. Granted this was in 2003, but I'm sure you could still get a good price today. The hotel was in a great location near subways, Radio City Music Hall & Rockefeller Center. The room was very nice and clean and roomy. Our view of course was sensational. The lobby was very nice and so were any employees we ran into. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2003, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I stayed at the hotel for over 2 weeks and should have checked out after the first day. My room was so HOT! When I called to complain- they told me to open the window! In New York City with all the street noise, I don't think so. The elevators are so slow that the average wait was literally a full 5 minutes. I asked for a newspaper to be waiting outside my door- they told me where I could buy my papers. As a Diamond member, I hope to better, I can't imagine what the average unexpected traveler would be treated like. If you enjoy being ignored, small rooms, small showers and lots of crowded elevators-this is the place for you.I'll stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank rbars
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Stayed for four nights on the executive floor. The room was nice and clean, although like most NYC hotels not that big. We had a family of four so we reserved a room with two double beds. The beds are small, and there is no extra floor space, but it was certainly adequate.

The hotel is in an excellent location. Very central to any part of midtown.

When we arrived, the employees were in the middle of a union related work stoppage. I have to give credit to the hotel management for bringing in staff from other hilton properties to keep things going. There was really no impact to the guests because of this. The stoppage ended shortly after we got there without incident.

I will second the previous comments about the elevator situation. When the hotel is crowded (which it was every day we were there), it sometimes took up to 15 minutes to get an elevator. This is a BIG hotel, and there are alot of people going in and out.

We chose not to eat at any of the hotel restaurants. The prices are way too high. Also, keep in mind that within an easy walking distance there are at least 100+ of some of the best restaurants in the country, many of which are quite reasonable. Perhaps the best place to eat is the gyro cart stand right across the street on the SW corner of 53rd and 6th avenue. Sometimes there were 30 or 40 people waiting in line.

Overall we had a pretty good stay. I would have no concerns about staying here again. Although the next time we stay in this area I will probably try some place smaller as I typically like small hotels

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank drw_ok
Reviewed July 23, 2007

This is a big, busy, hotel, but you can't beat the location. Great views from some rooms, very convenient breakfast on the executive level. Rooms are very comfortable and very clean. The only problem is the busy elevators - just allow extra time in the mornings. One of our best stays in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business