“excellent location and room”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #324 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 12, 2007

Stayed at this hotel in early June 2007, after much research on Trip Advisor and other sites and was not disappointed. Booked a deluxe room, on 30th floor, well above most traffic noise. The room was spotless, with everything in working order, very comfortable bed, and good ventilation (even if the windows are closed). Used the kiosk in the lobby to check in, and the zip check out on the phone to check out, thus avoiding lines at the desk (which didn't look long, actually). Easy 1.5 block walk to MoMA and Folk Art Museum. Ten dollar cab ride to the Metropolitant Museum of Art. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance, including Bobby Flay's Bar Americain. Food at the hotel is pricey-- 18 bucks for a burger-- but there are smaller spots for breakfast, lunch right across from the hotel. The fitness facility could use a rowing machine, but has plenty of newer treadmills and ellipticals, as well as free weights and a nice locker room.

• Stayed: June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (10,835)

Reviewed June 8, 2007

Was here for a conference - just in case there is any confusion..this review is about the Hilton Hotel on Avenue of the Americas. Now this is a busy conference hotel (it was at the time I was there) and a reasonable standard for a "conference" style hotel however it is certainly not posh like the Hilton hotels in Australia and does get a fair bit of wear and tear! also top location.

However what I thought was interesting is that things were often not perfect in a hotel which does get a lot of traffic (e.g a few things did not work in the room) but management fixed them promptly when notified and were generally helpful when asked the typical "doh" tourist and guest questions e.g how to work the TV, directions etc. I think this is commendable and management stated in their brochure (in the rooms) that they do want to staff to be helpful ("just ask")...commendable because just about every shop staff, taxi driver, restaurant staff outside of the hotel had that god damn awful rude NY Attit-oode. Also I have experienced that attitude in other NY hotels as well..

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 31, 2007

It was a great hotel and great location. The room was super clean and it smells like brand new very modern and the concierge desk staff know everything we asked them the kind of food we wanted to eat and they gave us directions to the restaurant they were all walking distance the staff was great!!
It was the best hotel me and my family ever stayed at and we travel 3-4 times a year for pleasure it was the best!!!!!!
now if you have more than four people in your family its hard to get a taxi, or to get a horse ride around central park everything is 4or less even a hotel room the hilton was the only hotel that accepted me and my family we were a party of 5

Reviewed May 30, 2007

Just returned from a long weekend in NYC. The Hilton New York was my 2nd choice of hotels. I had wanted to stay in Times Square, but after reading the reviews here, decided to give the Hilton a try. I still like the "glitz" of staying in Times Square, however this hotel lived up to reviewers comments.

I requested a renovated room on a high floor as was suggested here on Trip Advisor. I would suggest doing the same thing as they are much nicer rooms. The beds were quite comfortable as were the pillows - if you didn't like the 1st one, there were 4 to choose from on each bed! The room was big by New York standards, with a 30" wide screen TV. Our remote had a mind of it's own, and it was my fault for not asking for another. The outside wall is all windows which is quite nice. There is a small ledge around the windows that you can sit on. The windows were sealed shut while we were there since they were doing some work on the outside of the building, otherwise they would normally be able to be opened. I saw that another reviewer complained about this, but there is a sticker on each window of the room explaining and appologizing for the inconvenience.

The view was not that great as you are surrounded by other large buildings and a Sheraton across the street from our room. We had a small slice of 53rd and 6th from our room - 3331. However this is pretty typical in a city of very tall buildings. The bathroom is very small. Only 1 person at a time, and in order to sit on the toilet, you have to close the door unless you want to straddle it while on the pot. The countertop and sink area is also quite small. However, the shower had very good pressure and the shower head was very large making showers very nice compared to many other hotels. Amenities included shampoo, moisterizer, a shower cap (does anyone really use these??) and 2 small bars of soap. The bar we used at the sink, did last the whole trip. However, if you like your own bar for the shower/bath, bring your own.

My only complaints are small, and again, I didn't bring them up to the hotel. One of the garbage cans was not emptied one day, one day we were not given clean glasses and the soap dish was never cleaned. New bars of soap were not provided.

Our room was always cleaned by late morning (we left the room by 9:00). We always had plenty of towels. The front dest wasn't real quick at check-in. There always seemed to be a line by mid-morning and through the afternoon. Being a Hilton Honors Member, I was able to by-pass the long line.

I would recommend this hotel if you want to be close to many attractions and just a bit off the "beaten path". Times Square is a 10 minute walk, Rockefeller Center is 5 minute walk down 6th Avenue as is Central Park just 6 blocks north on 6th. Broadway and the theatres are a 15 minute walk. There were many near by subway stations to choose from. You can always get a cab at the hotel. There seemed to be a constant line of cabs on the street, waiting to be signaled by the doormen. Note - if you are looking for directions, stop at the Concierge and they have preprinted instructions for getting to the WTC, Little Italy and Chinatown. They have what trains to take, which ones to transfer to if need be and where to pick them up. I'm sure they have instructions for other main areas of Manhattan as well.

I booked our room directly with the property for variable rates of $299/269/249 a nite over Memorial Day weekend. I looked at 3 Travel sites, but the best rates were through the hotel directly. (plus you can specify what you want when booking direct. ie: high floor, renovated room, a view) Considering the location, size of the room, quality of the room, and the property, I'd say it was a decent price. Another plus is there are 3 kisoks in the lobby from which you can check in and print your boarding pass for most major airlines, for free. The rooms did have TV internet access, but we didn't try this and I don't know what it costs.

If you are looking for a place to eat close by, the Stage Deli on 7th has excellent corn beef sandwiches that are absolutely huge (2 people can easily share 1 sandwich). If you like seafood, McCormack and Schmick's on 52nd and 6th is very reasonable and very good. An added plus; they have outdoor seating as well. Lindy's on the corner of 53rd and 7th has good quick food. I'd stay away from the hotel restaurants as they were quite pricey as was room service. We ordered 2 appetizers (buffalo wings and chicken fingers) and a coke. With tip, the bill was $57.00! There are many great small eateries in the nearby area to choose from. Nothing is cheap in New York, but for the most part, you get decent size servings, but be prepared to pay a bit more than you're used to.

I would definately return to this hotel in the future. I think I would try to get a higher floor, and a room that faces 6th Avenue if possible for a little more of a view.

6  Thank BostonRae
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I've stayed in lots of NYC hotels. For my needs, the Hilton on 6th and 53rd is the best location in the city. Close enough to the park, times square, 5th ave shopping, subway lines and everything else I need. However this place is EXPENSIVE. If I were paying for the room, I might go on priceline or some other discount site to find more reasonable accomidations.

But I travel alot for business, and always stay at Hilton value properties (Hampton Inns, Homewood Suites, etc) to accumulate points. Then once or twice a year I cash in points and plan an NYC trip.

As a diamond member of Hitlon Honors, I accumulate points fairly quickly. And I also don't have to worry about long check in lines. I use the diamond desk and am always on my way within a few minutes of check in.

This time the room wasnt ready - no biggie - its NYC. Plenty to do. The luggage check room said $3.50 per bag, but if your checking in they dont charge.

There wasnt room at the executive floors (I dont know why - I reserved 6 months ago and tried to check in before 11) but other than the free snacks, I got the better end of the deal. The rooms on floor 30 were just redone, and were terrific.

If you get a deal on the hotel, use points or feel the location is worth the cost, you cant do better than the Hilton on 6gh

1  Thank Statmans
Reviewed May 28, 2007

Excellent hotel, excellent room, excellent location İt was our first time in this hotel and we were very happy to see more than what we expected. Congratulaions, The reception was very noisy but good service İf 'll return to ny ı will certainly stay in this hotel

Reviewed May 25, 2007

i have stayed here twice now, and i still like it-- the location can't be beat. it is within easy walking distance to central park, rockefeller plaza, times square, and all those fun things. and just a 10 minute subway ride takes you down to statue of liberty, WTC, wall street, etc.

good things? the room was fairly small, but it was in good shape. i really enjoyed having a few casual drinks at Bridges Bar, the bar tender was really nice and made us a few free martinis. we stayed at the club level, and you get free continental breakfast and appetizers, which were not exactly gourmet but, it IS very handy when you are on the go and need a snack-- and we are constantly on the go in NYC. oh yeah, and it is right across the street from a Starbucks! yay! plus there are TWO more starbucks on that block AND one in the lobby now (but has limited hours of operation). check in and out was fast-- highly recommend checking out using one of their computer kiosks in the lobby because the check out line was VERY long.

bad things? it's pretty expensive, but so are all NYC hotels. small bathrooms. that's about it.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)