“Awesome Staff; Pleasant Stay”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #327 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 1, 2007

I stayed at this hotel from 2/24/07 to 2/27/07 (39th floor) while attending a national education conference. When I first arrived at about 2pm (2/24), my room and that of my colleague’s were not available for check in. Check in time is officially 3pm and given that they were hosting at least one large conference, I guess this could happen. They did store our luggage for free (the normal cost is $3.50/item stored). Also, when the time came for check in, we had some of the best service I have seen and experienced. The staff at check in and throughout my stay in every area of the hotel (including the restaurants and housekeeping), were amazing. I want to also want to mention Arnold (do not know his last name) who provided us with some of the best check-in service I ever experienced.

This hotel is located within walking distance (about 15 or so minutes) from Times Square. Also, great amenities such as restaurants, ice cream and chocolate (yes, ladies, chocolate) store, and a grocery store are within two blocks.

In terms of the room, I had a king room, which met the expectations for the price of the room. Another note especially for the ladies is that the bathroom lacked vanity space. I mean, very little space, some of which is too close for comfort to the toilet. I actually resorted to spreading a towel on the bathroom floor to store my toiletries while using them. I would rather do this than have my stuff land in the latrine, which would be quite gross. When they were not in use, I kept toiletries in my suitcase. I usually store these on the vanity during my other hotel experiences. My colleague had similar vanity space issues in her room.

On another note, I have to wonder when these hotels – especially these high-priced properties – will update their tv sets. The old crappy Phillips tubes just don’t it for me and is an insult at this price point. Also, be warned about the price of their internet service. It is $9.95/day (billing period is from 12pm); however, while in the lobby, I also noticed a $9.95/hr price tag. Crazy.

Still, I had a very pleasant stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed March 1, 2007

I've stayed at this Hilton several times over the years, most recently this past month. In a city where hotel rates are consistently among the highest anywhere, the Hilton usually has affordable-for-NYC rates for the level of quality and amenities.

My floor was recently updated, which I understand has happened to much of the hotel (but not all). I was bumped up to a better room as a result of my "standard room" not being available and after refusing to go to another hotel for one night and then come back. Do people actually think this is a reasonable suggestion?)

PROS: Rooms are confortable, typical Hilton - desk, newer "comfort sleep" bedding, decent size room and bathroom. Good for one or two people, but you'd be overcrowded with 3 or more.

Also, the hotel is 5-10 minutes walking distance from many subway lines, and has easy access to taxis (of course, a NYC trademark). It is also close to the Museum of Modern Art and perhaps 10 minutes from the heart of Broadway (though a couple of theaters are very close).

If you need quiet to sleep, ask for a higher floor. Noise levels above floor 15 or so are reasonably low - not silent, but low. Of course if you want absolute quiet, you probably should stay out of NYC :-).

There are 2 bars at ground level. Drinks are very good, but expect NYC prices ($7 beer, $10-$15 martinis). If you need a rental car, Hertz is across the street.

CONS: I found it amusing that the undercurrent of the front desk was that I should be grateful for the upgrade. Needless to say, warm customer service is not exactly a trademark. The Hilton's lobby can often be clogged with travelers, and they don't always seem to staff for demand very well. Further, both at the desk, bars and througout the hotel, there is a definite lack of outgoing customer service. You get what you ask for, little else, and with little of that positive customer attitude you'll find at higher end, customer-focused hotels. I find this endemic at Hiltons, so clearly they are not focusing on customer service.

That said, staff is not mean or rude, just disengaged, so get your key and enjoy the stay.

I'll return because of location and price, and I recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank Mgz
Reviewed February 18, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton New York last Saturday night and were appalled at the lack of guest service. We arrived at 11:00 a.m. so we didn't expect our room to be ready but decided to check just in case. After standing in line for 20 minutes, the stone-faced woman at the front desk shoved a form at us to take to baggage storage and said the room wasn't ready. We asked if she could tell us when the room would be ready and she shrugged. We asked if there was some way to pick up our key later to avoid standing in a long line again. She snapped at us and said that we would have to stand in line again like everybody else. I said that I didn't think it was right that we should have to spend another 20 minutes in line and she shrugged and said that there was a manager's line (which we never found).

We stored our bags and went to take a walk. We came back around 2:30 and tried again to check in. After spending another 20 minutes in line, a different woman snapped at us and said, "the room's not ready. Check-in is at 3." I saw all 10 people ahead of me in line walk away with keys so I was a little frustrated. We paid extra for a Deluxe room so I expected to be treated a little better. The woman said that Deluxe rooms are always the last to be cleaned and that our room might actually be ready but housekeeping hadn't entered it into the computer yet. I asked if she could call housekeeping to see if it was ready and she said, "Yeah, at 3." I used to work in the hotel industry and whenever people tried to check in early, we blocked rooms for them and called housekeeping and had them clean those rooms first. Obviously this hotel doesn't care enough about their guests to do this.

My husband and I went to the lobby bar and had a couple of very over-priced drinks while we waited for our room. Finally at 3, we got back in line (with at least 15 people ahead of us and only 2 front desk clerks). I saw a woman walking around who looked like a manager. I was just about to walk over to her and ask if she could help us when she asked if anyone in line was just waiting to pick up a key. We raced over to her and she directed us to someone who actually gave us a room key. We booked the Romance Package which included a bottle of sparkling wine and breakfast. We had to ask about how to go about getting the wine and breakfast. We were told to call Room Service to have the sparkling wine delivered. We asked if we needed a coupon for breakfast and the front desk clerk advised us that all we needed to do was order breakfast in the restaurant and it would be deducted from our bill. We asked three times to verify and each time we were told we didn't need a coupon. When we went down to the restaurant in the morning, we told the waiter our package was supposed to include breakfast and he asked for our coupon. We told him that we hadn't been given one so he had to call over the restaurant manager to look into things. The restaurant manager was the only friendly person we encountered in our visit. He did some research and came back with the coupon we should have received at check-in.

The room itself was adequate, but certainly not deluxe. We didn't have much of a view and we were close to the elevators. The bathroom was small and only included a shower and we found a few hairs in the shower. There was really nothing special about the room.

The hotel was crowded at all times. There was always a long line at the front desk and we had to wait for several minutes every time we had to take the elevator. There were always several employees milling about the lobby but nobody ever greeted us or offered to help us with anything. With the exception of the restaurant manager, everybody we encountered at this hotel was rude and unprofessional. I expected a lot more from a Hilton. I would never stay at this hotel again.

7  Thank MML2006
Reviewed February 14, 2007

Arrived in the very large foyer of Hilton Hotel. Very impersonal and clinical. Waited in a short queue and given room allocation. 26th Floor unrenovated room with view of Central Park. The room was very nice. We had requested and paid for a king bed but only two doubles available. The shower was a bit tempermental. We were staying for seven days. One morning awoke to the sound of jackhammers above, and burst water pipe. We were then 'upgraded' downstairs to a renovated room. The room was very new with plasma t.v. large shower etc. Ordered room service one evening and were very impressed how prompt the service was. Many conferences going on in Hotel, so lifts were full to overflowing all the time and foyer constantly crowded. Once in room of hotel it was very quiet and staff were prompt to respond to requests.

3  Thank wategos
Reviewed February 12, 2007

Stayed at this hotel from 4th of Jan for three night, excellent all round, got upgraded foc. Room was spacious, bathroom was a little small but excellent. Location cannot be beat and staff were wonderful and all for the price of $130 including taxes per night per room!!! Amazing!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2007

We stayed for 3 nights at the start of February. As a Hilton HHonors member we were put on the 17th floor in a recently renovated room. The hotel room was spacious for new york, and the location cannot be faulted. However...the walls are seriously thin. We could hear people wandering back to their rooms at 1am, we heard our neighbours alarm clock every morning, and we could hear taxis honking their horn. I appreciate that its New York and that's what taxi drivers do, but I have stayed in other hotels in New York where this has not been a problem.
I would say go - but take your earplugs!!

Reviewed February 12, 2007

We stayed at the New York Hilton during a long weekend in June. The hotel is very well situated for all the sights in the city as there is easily accessibility by taxi or subway. However, be warned that during the hours of 6:00pm – 7:00pm the taxi queue at the hotel is very long and you may wait a long time to get a taxi. Keep this in mind when planning your departure times.

The hotel is very busy and there are always large crowds in the lobby however on this occasion it did not cause us too much trouble and we were able to check in easily. We asked for a change of room while checking to something as high as possible and this was done without any fuss and we were given a room on the corner which was good as we then had two windows – also we were on a side road so the noise from the outside was not a problem.

The room was nice and well decorated with a small bathroom. There was nothing special about it but it was clean and well maintained. We unfortunately did have noisy neighbours who insisted on shouting and talking loudly to past 1:00am. We called downstairs and asked for them to be stopped and security must have done something as eventually the noise decreased.

We did not use any of the restaurants, room service or gym as there are plenty of restaurants in the area so cannot comment on these amenities. We did use the concierge to arrange for a car to take us to the airport and that was done quickly and efficiently.

The hotel was nothing to write home about but it did provide us with a decent place to stay in New York city at a decent price.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple