“not your best option in NYC”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #325 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
CA
“not your best option in NYC”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2006

Its a busy week in NY and I got stuck with a $500 per night bill at the Hilton. Its all that is available in town but I honestly expected more for the price.

the room is clean but very small, I had asked for a king bed but told that nothing was available. I guess you don't matter unless you are a gold member. The place is busy and very corporate I would not be happy if my wife and kids were staying with me in the 100sf room. It would not work.

I feel like this is a cattle call hotel, line up, wait your turn and be disapointed.

Stayed August 2006
4 Thank lazydays1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,764)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sun City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2006

We found this hotel to be an excellent location, and a beautiful hotel, as well. It's situated at W. 54th St. and 6th Ave. a block from Rockefeller Center, the Museum of Modern Art, 3 blocks from Broadway, near Times Square...right in the middle of exciting happenings. One block away, you can catch the hop-on, hop-off buses to sample various areas of the city. The hotel proper has a Marketplace Cafe, for informal dining, offering continental, or full breakfasts,as well as Japanese & other international foods. It's open for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner. We didn't sample the Etruscan Italian Restaurant, also on-site.
We also enjoyed a Harbor Circle cruise, which lasts about 3 hrs, with spectacular views of the skylines, and a lot of information.
The hotel has a fitness center, wireless internet, and airport check-in kiosks. It has recently had an 85 million dollar refurbishing, and our room was beautiful, and the beds are truly heavenly.

7 Thank jaybee99
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2006

I stayed in this Hotel for two nights during August 2006. The room was clean and spacious.
As a diamond Hilton Honors member I spend a lot of time in Hilton Hotels and this a typical one except for the Reception area which is a Cattle Market with long queues to check in and out. There are people everywhere,its very noisy and busy.
Unless you're loaded don't use the internet in the business centre or buy a drink in the Bar.
I spent the previous two nights in the Times Square Hilton, if you have a choice , stay there instead. I think they're roughly the same price.

• Liked — Clean and air conditioning
  • Tips/Secrets — Use the check in machines at reception and check out from your room
4 Thank johnnyfivelivers
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2006

PROS: Great location. We stayed in room 2505 for 3 nights. Very good impression upon entering the room which was a good size and had a bay window with a chair and side table. There were triple sheets on a comfortable bed and no dirty bedspread. The mirrored closet door was a nice, convenient touch. There was a safe in the closet, La Source toiletries, nice towels, an iron and ironing board, a mini bar and coffee maker.

CONS: The shower head had a lot of black mold (gross) which I removed as best I could. I did not expect that in a 4 star hotel. It was extremely difficult to get the shower to work; it kept switching back to the faucet. The sink was clogged and there was a little door under the sink that would not close. There was also a leak that could be heard very clearly behind the bathroom wall. There was no curved shower rod, which would have been nice to keep the shower curtain as far away as possible, and there were no bags in the garbage cans.

Despite the cons, I would recommend this hotel and I would return; the pros outweigh the cons, some of which could be unique to room 2505.

• Liked — Triple sheets, no dirty bedspread, La Source toiletries, nice towels, mirrored closet with safe, iron/board, large room, bay window, mini bar, coffee maker
  • Disliked — Mold on shower head, shower incredibly difficult to turn on, no curved shower rod, clogged sink, no bag in garbage
4 Thank tellingitlikeitis
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2006

This past weekend I spent one night in midtown at this Hilton. The location is excellent -- quick access to the subway, midtown shopping, times square, etc.

The hotel itself, however, was disappointing. First, it's absolutely huge and you can forget personalized attention. Or good service, for that matter. (For example, we waited ten minutes for a waiter in the bar before we finally gave up and walked up to the bar ourselves.) Our room was on the 20th floor and I really hope that it was not an "updated" room, because there were some clear deferred maintenance issues: the wallpaper was peeling, the toilet seat was not firmly affixed to the toilet, etc. (The bed was very comfortable, though.) Upon check-out, they charged us $3.50 for each piece of checked luggage; I go to NYC a couple of times each year and have never had to pay a fee to check luggage before.

The biggest problem with the room was the paper-thin walls -- on Sunday morning at 8:00 am, we heard the wake-up call for the room next door. The occupant soon preceeded to make several loud phone calls, and I heard every word on his side of the line. I also heard other people's conversations in the hallway. To me, thin walls are a deal-breaker at a hotel, and I won't stay here again.

Also, I'm a Hilton Gold member and felt that the status was not really appreciated at the hotel. We did get the coupons for the complimentary breakfast, which was the best part of the stay. However, I got no room upgrade, and no front desk staff acknowledged the Gold status in any manner. I didn't receive or hear about any of the club-level amenities that so many others on this website seemed to experience. Perhaps since I was just there one night I didn't rate the extras.

9 Thank denver_mg

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Memphis, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2006

I stayed here on a Saturday night using my HiltonHHonors points. Being a Diamond member, I was pleased to see a Diamond registration desk as the line to check-in was quite long. My room had been remodeled and was an absolute joy to stay-in. The bedding is like sleeping on a cloud.

The bathroom only had a shower but that was no problem for me.

The restaurant Sunday morning had a CRAZY long line for it so I opted out of going there to eat a complimentary breakfast.

The gym on the 5th floor is probably one of the best hotel gyms I have been. There is a nice selection of cardio equipment with multiple exercise units of each type. The weight section was ample. The place was practically full! But everyone was using what they wanted.

GREAT LOCATION!

• Liked — The bed!!!!
  • Disliked — The crowds - yes it a large hotel, but it is lilke a hive in the lobby
  • Tips/Secrets — Get to be a HiltonHHonors Diamond member so you can skip all the lines
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank MemphisCPA
New Britain, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2006

My husband and I spent 4 nites here. I always book my hotels on Priceline or Hotwire.I called ahead and requested a non smoking king room. When we arrived ,they gave us a non smoking queen room.They said that it was due to Labor Day weekend.They did upgrade us to executive level on the 39th floor. We received free continental breakfast every am and some other perks.The breakfast was actually very nice and plentiful.But, I still would of preferred a king bed.I guess that I am spoiled because this is the first time that I had a problem with my request even though I used a discount booking service! Idid not ask again for a king room or offer to pay more for one.I met someone who paid 2x as much for the same room that we had.I have to say that the room was very lovely.The view was awesome.The area was quite and serene.The bed very comfortable.The bathroom was quite small but the amenities were excellent. They use Crabtree and Evelyn.The hotel is very busy. The lobby is packed at all times. I did not eat at any of the restaurants. There are so many nice restaurants near by.The best thing about the hotel is the location.So close to everything.We saw 3 shows and walked to them easily.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathroom size
  • Tips/Secrets — easy to get to activities