“Great Location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2004

Modern uninspiring on the outside, pretty nice on the inside. Wide & busy lobby lacking however any sitting area to do any people watching. Room was clean and decent size and so was the bathroom. The best feature is the location a couple of blocks from Central Park and Rockefeler Plaza and very close to MOMA (Modern Art Museum). If your looking for something very classy w/ character try the Waldorf Astoria also a Hilton (we stayed there the following week) or if visiting Lower Manhattan try the Millenium Hilton right across from Ground Zero close to Wall Street and Battery Park, a favorite w/ reviewers on this site.

• Stayed June 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,762)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2004

Just returned from a long weekend in New York City. Stayed at the New York Hilton – excellent location! About a ten minute walk (tops) to Central Park, Rockafeller Center, and the rest of the area attractions. The only minor disappointment was the subway access. Returned from Little Italy one evening via the subway – intended to get off at the 51st St. station – only to find it was not open (not sure why). Had to continue on to the 59th street Station and walk back.
The staff was very friendly. I booked the room through Priceline – but never received any ‘looks’ or comments as others have stated. Requested a room with 2 beds upon arrival (traveling as a family) which they were more than willing to accommodate. Also requested a refrigerator which I was told was a fifteen dollar per night charge – turns out I was not charged for it (at least through this date). The refrigerator was delivered and set up promptly and by a very friendly staff member.
We did not have a long wait for elevators as previously posted. We also had a safe in the room – which proved to be invaluable.
I used the phone check-out (the TV check-out was not working at that time) which was quick and easy – no problems at all.
We tried Astro’s for breakfast – extremely fast service (had our breakfast within 5 minutes from the time we sat down). But by the time we were leaving there was a line out the door – guess it depends on your timing!
Summing it all up – we would not hesitate to stay there again – loved the location!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2004

This was the most horrid experience I have ever had at a hotel and affected the entire vacation. I have just returned from a 5 night stay and could not have been happier leaving. At check-in we were waiting in line exhausted when somebody came up and practically pushed us shouting loudly about a self check-in. We barely had time to turn around before he was pushing us back to the desk where the staff was saying "alright alright ill do it". Not a good start.

The first morning we went downstairs to the concierge to ask about how to get to the Staten Island ferry. It was about 7am and a couple of people floating around the lobby. There was an African-American woman at the conceirge desk who looked annoyed that we had approached the desk. I said "Goodmorning" in a very friendly fashion and she glanced up and said "yes". I was shocked by her attitude towards us and as I began asking for directions she shoved me a piece of paper with unclear instructions on how to get to the ferry. I asked for clarification and she only confused me more. It was our first time in NYC and I was a little nervous about the subway. Before I could say thank you she had turned away from us. I wanted to cry at this point.

Throughout our stay I tried to avoid any of the staff in fear of their attitude upsetting me. I wanted to ask so many questions but I felt very intimidated by them. Its as if they don't understand that for some people it is their first time in the city, and they work in a hotel! (go figure) I am currently writing a formal complaint and I want to try and forget that awful time now that it is over. The hotel room itself was ok. There was wear and tear on the ceiling and walls and the location wasn't close enough to times square or the shopping district. BOOOOOOO to the Hilton hotel. Never again.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2004

I tried to book a room for the nyc bar show and was told that there were not any rooms available for the bar show rate. I ended up paying 280.00 for a sunday night stay when I wanted to stay 2 nights. After being told that the parking was included in this exuberant rate I come to find out upon ck out that parking was 40.00 for 1 night.

I would haven taken the chance and slept in my car if i would have know this. Bath robes were in the description and were not in the room, either was the "free gift" for staying on the consierge level.

The staff was ok at best but the best part was the bed. Very comfy after a long days work.

I manage a 253 room restort/timeshare hotel in the poconos and have for 20 years and will stay at a motel 6 near the city before i visit this tourist trap again that does not cater to their own (people in the business).

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dumfries
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2004

We stayed in the Hilton for 4 nights on our honeymoon from 7th to 10th June and had a great time with no significant problems at all. It was booked through United Vacations so I've no idea what particular room rate I paid as the total cost for the holiday incorporated all flights and another hotel in Hawaii also.

Arrived early evening on the Monday night and checked in without any delay or problem whatsoever. We had requested a double non-smoking room and got exactly what we'd asked for on the 30th floor. Our room was certainly more than big enough for us. We may have gotten an upgrade for all I know given that it was a honeymoon but if that was the case then no-one actually informed us of it. It was a very big bed as far as I'm concerned also. I think it was a King size but as I'm not overly familiar with what's a King size and what's a Queen size I might be wrong.

Location was perfect, easy walking distance for Central Park, Broadway and much of Manhattan. Tour buses passing the door also. Our first visit to New York so we wanted to do the obvious things like visit the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Empire State, World Trade Center site, Central Park, Macy's, etc, etc.

Apart from one day when there was a big conference going on we never found the lobby especially busy as some reviews on here have suggested. The staff were never a problem at all and always very helpful, including the lady at the concierge desk who helped us book our return transfer to the airport.

The hotel also has an activities desk within it which can book you tours and theatre tickets, etc. That may be an independant concern though. We used that to book tickets to Mamma Mia and a couple of tours and found the staff to be extremely helpful and informative.

Our room was clean though there were a few small strange orange stains on the carpet but that's getting really picky I guess. We had a problem with the toilet not flushing properly right from when we arrived but one call to customer services and someone was up to fix it within 10 minutes.

I'd agree with the person who recommended Astro's for breakfast. We went there a couple of times. Cheap and chearful. If you want something a little fancier then there's an Irish bar down the street from the Bridges Bar which does fine breakfasts for not all that much more cash. Can't recall its name though. For dinner there's a brilliant Italian restaurant just beyond Astros called 'Pazza Notte'. We also ate in Bensons which does phenomenal steaks but it's very expensive. First night treat but $150 for two one course meals with a couple of drinks was way above my expectations. Fortunately they're not all that expensive. Ate in the Hilton Marketplace one night and found it to be okay but nowhere near as good as the 'Pazza Notte' for instance.

They put an invoice under your door overnight on your last night so if it's fine in the morning you can auto-check-out using either the phone or the tv which saves any potential queueing. We used the phone method and I presume it worked out properly though as I haven't had the final bill yet I can't confirm that. As it happens though, when we went downstairs to leave the reception area was quiet.

The hotel bar is spacious and pleasant though certainly not the cheapest place to drink at $6 for a beer! The elevators were reliable and pretty quick.

To sum up, we enjoyed our stay and, were we ever to come back to New York, I wouldn't hesitate to book the Hilton again.

• Stayed June 2004
2 Thank Skyline_Drifter
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2004

I travel to NYC frequently and was reluctant to stay here because of the mix-reviews. I decided to try the hotel out and found it to be a nice experience. I did stay on the executive floors, that may have made a difference.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2004

Great midtown location - front reception staff were really friendly as were all the staff we encountered during our 4 nt stay. Adequate size rooms were clean & shower was fierce! Didn't eat at hotel but can recommend Astros for b/f and Ben Bensons for a great steak. Not all rooms have a safe but reception has safety deposit boxes. Would recommend hotel and would def go back.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member