“Business trip? You will NOT be able to work in the rooms.”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #323 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, IL
“Business trip? You will NOT be able to work in the rooms.”
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Quite simply the network in this hotel is unusable - both wired and wireless. You can connect but never send/receive because of the low capacity and heavy usage. Did not work a single night during my 4-night stay and I was paying $400/night. Complaints are only worked if the network is down or if a specific wired room is not operating. Otherwise you are left with an $18.99/night bill for no service.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank SoftwareSam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,796)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Old Forge, New York
Reviewed November 9, 2008

Having stayed there a few years ago, I knew what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised. I found the staff to be accomodating and professional. The room was fine, Hilton Beds are great. It gets worn quickly, as it is one of the best located hotels with a
very high occupancy. Seems to me at its age, it will be an ongoing rehab. Safe, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2008
2 Thank johnnieb
Shiggles
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton because of a conference I was attending was held there.

The room itself was nice--nice bed, tv, and bathroom.

However, after a long day of traveling, I unfolded the sheets to crawl into bed but found six hairs in the sheets! Tired and cranky, I called customer service to ask for someone to come change the sheets for me. It took a while for someone to get there and once she did, she had the wrong sheets. They told her it was for the sofa bed--completely wrong. She was very apologetic and sweet and ran to get the correct size. It took her almost 10 minutes to get the right ones and come back.

Another complaint was a dirty towel I found in the bathroom that was hung up. Looked like someone had a dirty finger and just wiped it prior to my visit.

Also, there was an unattractive white stain on the brown sofa bed.

BTW, strange enough, the bathroom had only a shower. I had a friend staying there at the same time that had bathtub so if you're a soaker, be sure to check you have a tub.

Amenities were light--gym was $12 a day and internet access started at $14 and ran to $19/day. For $500, you'd think both of these would be complimentary!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2008

This is the first time we had stayed at a Hilton, we were expecting high standards and we were not dissapointed . We had an "executive room" on the 34th floor, it was a very good size and the beds were REALLY COMFORTABLE, the same could be
said for the pillows, way above average. We had our breakfast - included in the room rate - in the 44th floor lounge, its a pretty standard continental breakfast, wont set the world on fire but filling and plenty of it. One tip here though is GET THERE EARLY we used to be there by about 7 and when we left there was always a long queue to get in as the capacity of the room is 99 persons and any more is illegal as the sign clearly points out!!!.
There is also free internet access in the lounge, you can either use your own laptop or the provided pc. Although it is shared with a lot of guests it works well as you just book a 15 minute slot, we never had any problems using it. The loung also provides free tea and coffe throughout the day upto 2245 and hors d'oevres at 5 pm, again the secret here is get there early.
I had read several rather negative reports on trip advisor about this hotel and I was a little apprehensive especially as it was part of a birthday treat for wife and daughter, but everything was fine To give an example one evening the bathwater was very slow to run away, i rang the reception and they were going to send up a plumber straight away !!! now that is what I call service.
There are two nearby subway stations, one by the Sheraton and one by the Radio City music hall, which is the one we used mainlhy as more lines go through it, both of them are less than a couple of hundred yards from the entrance.

One thing though which shouldnt happen is the Hilton's policy of charging 3 dollars 50 cents per bag if you leave it at the hotel after you have checked out and before you actually leave for the airport. In all the hotels I have ever stayed in no one has ever charged for this. I did object to the charge, pointing out I had paid a lot of money to stay in their hotel and didnt expect to pay for something which should be provided free. the charge was waived, so do query it and tell them how unacceptable it is. The lady in front of us collecting her bags was charged 21 dollars which does seem a rip off.

This is a good hotel, in a great location in a truly world class destination, as they say NewYork NewYork its a wonderful town, and we were really really sorry to have to leave,

Certtainly stay here again

• Liked — Comfy beds and pillow, good sized room, general ambience of the place
  • Disliked — the Hilton trying to charge for looking after my bags for 3 hours
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank KentishTravellers
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I'd stayed at this hotel before so knew the location was perfect- 5 blocks from Central Park, 10 from Times Square and only one block across from Fifth Avenue. However the service this time was beyond a joke - right from the check-in when the woman behind the desk argued my rate wasn't inclusive of tax until I showed her my copy of the bill (thank goodness I had it with me).

During our stay the front staff, concierge and theatre desk were all helpful but not friendly.

The beds at this place are the most comfortable I've ever slept in and the room we had was quiet and very nicely set out and fresh/new - we had a problem with no hot water one morning (hotel wide) but the people I rang seemed less than bothered - having paid over $3,000 for a week - I wasn't best pleased.

Final straw was them attemtping to charge $14 to leave our bags with them for 3 hours after checking out. The guy on the luggage desk was the rudest we'd confronted and dropped my heavy suitcase into my hand rather than lift the bar and pass it through. We refused to pay as the sign clearly said $3.50 daily charge and I assumed this was for people leaving luggage for a few days whilst going elsewhere. After trying to struggle to retrieve the suitcase and a bit of a scuffle the guy (still have uttered NOTHING other than "$14") called security.

It was an unpleasant and unnecessary end to the week.

However their follow up action - a Director of the Hotel rang me in the UK to apologise for the issues I'd had and for bringing it to their attention via the Guest Survey they emailed - has made me feel they are seriuos about sorting the issues.

I would definitely stay again but probably only because it's location is fantastic.

• Liked — Location and comfort of beds
  • Disliked — Lack of friendliness of staff and charging me to leave my luggage for 3 hours
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank One-and-Only-Aly-G
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Stayed here with my dad in both of our first trips to NYC. Very clean rooms, helpful concierge, a pretty good location to do touristy stuff (times square, 5th avenue shopping, central park, etc.), and we felt safe walking outside of the hotel at midnight (a big plus in my book). Pretty expensive for what would otherwise be an average hotel, but worth it for the location alone.

• Liked — location location location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed May 2006
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I asked for a central park view , although the hotel was very far from the park they did there best to get me one of the rooms with a partial view , I have to mention that I am a hilton honnor gold member
one of the rooms did smell as a smoking room , and we asked for connecting rooms but they gave us rooms infront of each other .
the hotel is in excellent location one block from moma , 4blocks from central park.,, 5 blocks from time square
build a bear workshope is about 6 blocks away , american girl shop is 5 blocks away .
the only thing is the lobby is always congested .
and if you have very small kids make sure you bring a stroller
we had fun and great time at this hotel and great time in new york

• Liked — classy
  • Disliked — crowded lobby
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family