“Somewhat outdated room, expected more from a Hilton”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #326 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this property. Maybe I just didn't remember correctly, but the room I received this time didn't seem as nice as I what I received when I stayed previously. The first room I received on this trip was tiny and right next to the elevators - something that, as a Hilton Honors Silver member, my preferences are right in my profile - so the hotel should have known that I prefer a room far from the elevators. So, I trekked back down to the desk - where I waited and waited as there were only 2 people on duty (and one would only wait on Diamond members - which there were none waiting). I was then given a room slightly larger and a few more doors down from the elevator. The room was okay, nothing spectacular. The bathroom is horribly in need of remodel - peeling wallpaper, a tub that drains slowly (a huge issue for me!), and when I looked up above the shower, the vent was FULL of dirty dust! It was disgusting. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable. I used the quick restaurant downstairs, and that was good - nice selection.

All in all, I expected more from a Hilton property, and certainly, being a Honors member, it would have been nice to at least have been put on an Honors floor. That, coupled with the sheer number of people in this hotel (many, many tourists!), is reason enough for me not to stay here again. I'd rather stay at the Doubletree on Lexington.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed May 1, 2014

great location but the front desk was not staffed correctly. I went to the front desk for help 3 times with each time spent over 20 minutes for help with very little people to help. This seems very odd for a big hotel chain. I would recommend you stay away from front desk as they are very slow with a lack of concern of the guest time. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I loved my stay especially the view of the Spiderman event outside it was a real treat I will come back to do more Yoga Jouranl conferences it was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I also loved the Herb N Kitchen it was a lovely place to eat and relax

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is its location. It is in serious need of customer care. I truly felt like I was among a huge, crazy herd of cattle in this place. The rooms are outdated, but ok, but it's the lack of personal connection and service that is the worst part of this hotel.
I was supposed to be on a club level, which may have made this experience better, but it's doubtful at this point.
My first room smelled so horrifically of mildew that I couldn't bear to be inside. I called the front desk and they told me they would send a bellman with a key to a new room. (When I pulled up in my taxi, no-one helped me with my bags). After one hour, and four phone calls, someone finally showed up. That means I stood in the hallway with my bags like a fool, wasting valuable vacation time. It was ridiculous. I was tired and frustrated.
I was offered NOTHING as compensation for my frustration - not even water or an apology, or phone call from a manager. Ridiculous.
And then, I was expected to pay for internet? Absurd!
Elevators took forever, lobby was frenetic and swarming with people. Ticket concierge worked with a broker, so I couldn't even get theater tickets without paying a premium. It was just as easy to get them myself, which I did.
It was so noisy that I had difficulty sleeping - this was not the hotel's issue, but the noise from the cars on the street, to be fair.
Pillows and bed was not dreamlike in any way, however.
This experience has turned me off Hilton hotels permanently. No interest. I will stay anywhere else, even if I have to pay more. It's just not worth it to feel unvalued as a customer. My money, and my time, will be happily spent elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to get on the club level if you insist on staying here.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank CrazyhazyPlano
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. I apologize that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of meeting and exceeding your expectations through service and amenities. The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area, I do hope that you will be our guest again so we may demonstrate the quality hospitality you expect and deserve.

NYCNH_DS@hilton.com
New York Hilton Midtown
Kellie Cahill
Director of Marketing

Reviewed April 29, 2014

The location is great, the rooms are dated and are in need of refurbishment. I didn't try the bar or the restaurant.
It took me 45 minutes to check in, which after a 7 hour flight is slightly irritating !
The reception staff did hand out bottles of water to the people waiting to be checked in, which was a nice touch.
Once i got to the desk Veronica was very helpful and courteous. A big shout out to her.
I think you can get cheaper and better hotels in the area

Room Tip: The higher up the better, you get a great view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Andy G
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The location is perfect for most NYC exploring - close to 5th Avenue shopping. The rooms are a bit larger than some Manhattan hotel rooms. The elevators are relatively fast and accessible with the separation of floors. Unique and pretty impressive food market with lots of choices and options for avoiding room service!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shamus01
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This place is okay if you're on a budget. I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. The room was mostly clean but they could have done a bit more to make the hotel a bit more attractive. And the bathrooms are way tiny. Don't try sharing it with your boyfriend whose idea of getting dressed is a hot shower, clothes and voila!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple