“Worst of times, best of times”

Ranked #326 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The short story here is that when I approached the front desk on my 2nd morning, they GLADLY moved me, but I should have complained when I first got into my room. If you ever stay at this hotel, ask to see your room first before you unpack.

Worst of times: There were a number of things that I had problems with... #1 - The A/C didn't cool the room lower than 73; just a few degrees too warm for me. #2 - The room itself was tired and used #3 - I traded a day of maid service so I could have free internet.... and #4 - They put me in the middle of a pack of travelling High Schoolers enjoying Spring Break. The students' noise running up and down the hall at 1:45 AM (and again at 2:30) was the last straw for me and security was sent up, but I was trapped in a hot room for the rest of my sleepless night.

Best of times: Much to the hotel's credit, the new room was significantly nicer and looked as though it had undergone a complete renovation. I guess I'm a bit surprised that as a frequent stayer at Hilton, the staff would have put me in one of the "nicer", "newer" rooms to begin with.

I'm going to rate this place a "C" because of the following:
1 room was great and the other... well - it just wasn't.
The staff was responsive but I shouldn't have been put in the position to test them.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I am for the second time in this hotel (on business purpose, so I didn't choose myself).
It have a very good location, near Times Square, Fifth Avenue.....so you can almost everywhere by foot, but I expected better services from a Hilton 5 stars hotel
You don't have minibar in the room, if you don't ask they don't bring slippers and bathrobe, the wifi is only in the lobby, or you have to pay for it (but if you pay, it is very good)
So, it is a good hotel with an excellent location.........

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We splurged and stayed at the is hotel. The locationis terrific, right next to the memorial (ironically we didn't go in, the lines were ridiculously long due to spring break) and right next the subway. The lobby is small but efficient. The only free wifi in the hotel is in the lobby, but it keeps dropping out. We were able to leave out luggage there after we checked out which was a great service. Other than that, the service was very generic. The front desk were Ok but not overly friendly or helpful. Even though we have silver status, the internet is not free.
Mr Oscar was nice and allowed us to check in early and took the time to find us a higher floor room. The room was amazing on the 34th floor. It was a corner room with an amazing view! both of the river and upper Manhattan. The bathroom was a little dated, but the amenities were sufficient. The bed was very soft and comfortable. The negative was the room mini fridge, there was no room to put your own items in. We didn't eat in though, there is deli across the road and breakfast restuarant on the next corner.

Room Tip: ask for higher floor, eat locally
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2014

You'll get exactly what you expect from this large chain in the middle of Midtown - a standard, clean, respectable stay without any frills. The lobby is gorgeous and the staff is generally courteous, but this is a large, bustling enterprise so don't expect special treatment. Our room was actually pretty large and clean as far as room in NYC go.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The hotel rooms are very Noisy ..the Bed is very lumpy. There is no coffee-maker in room…no internet service. The maids start servicing rooms early and slam the doors. Over priced..But I guess thats New Your

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
3  Thank George R A
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

George,

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent visit to our hotel. I am so sorry we failed to meet your expectations on guestroom appointment and value. Rest assured I take your comments seriously and will see to it that those concerns for comfort and amenities are addressed. Thank you again for your comments as I use them as a tool to better improve our hotel.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We had high expectations of this expensive and well known hotel chain, especially as we often use the Hilton. We travelled by car from London Canada, 12 hours and arrived at the hotel at 830pm, the room was guaranteed to be ready at 3pm, we eventually got in to the room at 10.30pm - too late to go out and eat. We spoke with the manager and he made arrangements for compensation which was not taken care of at check out! Very Disappointed!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Steven W
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Steven,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointment and apologize for our delayed check-in disrupting your evenings plans. We will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience moving forward and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction. If we may be of any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly.

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

The reception people were courteous but impersonal and the room given was not what we had booked or paid for. Only changed to the right room after querying why we had such a small room with a double bed when we had booked a larger room with a king bed. Rooms are very basic and have no fridge, no coffee or tea facilities.
Bathrooms are tiny and only fit for one person. We would rate this hotel a two stars hotel, and that is being generous. We thought Hilton had better standards.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank WillLeon

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on the comfort and appointment of our guestrooms and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the city.