“Average stay”

Ranked #324 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I want to say that there are also real positives to this hotel. The location is great! Close to some many things. I also appreciated the customer service, I was given a great list of restaurants by the concierge. It was broken up by food type and price. All the restaurants were within walking distance of the hotel. I kept this list in my purse and used it while out adventuring. Every restaurant we tried was great!

Okay for the downsides; The hotel did not offer free wifi if you weren't a Hilton Honors member. I was surprised by this as most of the hotels I have stayed in offer free wifi. We had a broken toilet seat in our room and when my 4 year fell off it, I spoke with the front desk who told me that it would be fixed right away. We returned from dinner to find that it was still not fixed and had to call again. Also the couch cushion in our room was ripped. I know these are not huge factors but this hotel was not cheap. In the end we had a great trip and I feel that Hilton can do a couple of things to improve.

1  Thank cinzinga

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We have stayed in this hotel twice in the last four months. We love its location!!! Near MoMA, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's, Broadway, etc. it is in the heart of the city and within walking distance to so much more. It is constantly busy, no matter what time of day. It does seem to host a lot of conventions and group events. We have had nice rooms and attentive staff. The busy elevators can be a challenge. We recognize that we are in NYC and there are more people than spaciousness.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor to minimize street noises.
3  Thank markandjulie
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I travel to NYC often and usually I'm able to pick my own hotel. This time my husband was a lecturer at a meeting and we were required to stay here. On the positive side, the location is fabulous. Upon arrival we were greeted with at least a 45 minute line to check in. From what I've read from other reviewers this is not an uncommon sight. After receiving our room key and being told that we were "valued Hilton Honors members" we were informed that should we require our two complimentary bottles of water they would be brought to us. The rooms have no minibar or refrigerator. We then had to stand in a line to get on an elevator. The wait was at least 15 minutes and chaotic. The elevators are divided into sections depending on what floor you're on. While waiting we were regaled by a few lovely young ladies trying to entice us to join Hilton Grand Vacations. We finally made it to the 21st floor and about half way down the hallway we smelled something akin to mildew with a touch of death. Inside our room was even worse. We called down to the front desk and after ringing for exactly 2 minutes we hung up and tried the customer service number. She got us through finally to someone at the front desk who told us that no other rooms were available. She advised us to open the windows. I was ready to flee but my husband insisted we stay as his meeting started very early in the morning and he needed the proximity to the meeting room. On the positive side, although the room was tattered and shabby, it was clean. The bedsheets were clean and the bathroom was clean. We "slept" there that night and I left first thing in the morning to wander around the city. After my husband and I arrived back at our room around 11pm (fighting our way up the elevators), we were met with a message from Hilton Grand Vacations letting us know what a valued customer we were etc etc. That did it for me. I called down and told them how horrible it was, that I would never stay there again and did not want to hear from them again. She transferred me to Andrew the night manager. Instead of explaining to him, we asked him to please come to our room. He did so and said "this is unbearable. I don't know how you slept here last night". Andrew was terrific. I find it interesting that we were told there were no rooms available the previous night but he immediately got us into one of the refurbished rooms on the 7th floor. It was the difference between night and day. Very decent, adequate, serviceable room. I emphasize adequate because really that is what it was. Andrew offered us 1/2 off the room rate for the previous night. The hotel suffers from being overly large and having an inadequate infrastructure. The bathroom is very very small even by NYC standards. The toilet was wedged in such a way that when my husband raised the lid it only opened 80 percent of the way before it hit the side of the vanity. He had to keep it raised with one hand. The counterspace is practically non-existant. Once again the elevators were a huge issue. Because of the massive size of the hotel, I believe it is able to offer cheap rates (by NYC standards) to large groups and the infrastructure just can't handle the hoards of people. Large Spring Break crowds, large school band tours, many meetings. In order for us to get to our room without waiting in line for 15-20 minutes we had to take a different elevator to the 5th floor where we then found a staircase and walked up the remaining two flights of stairs. The final straw was when we received our folio bill slipped under our door. There was an $18 package charge. We had no idea what this was. Called downstairs and were told that we received a package. We received no package and received no message that said we had a package. She insisted that we had. Then told us to contact the business office. Nobody answered so my husband went to the 2nd floor business office. They said that we must have received a package. When she finally was convinced that we had not received anything she said she would take it off our bill. He asked for a new printout but was told we would have to go to the front desk and get one. The front desk with the 45 minute wait. As he was coming back to the room, the woman from the business office called me to say that perhaps we SENT a package. No package received, no package sent. Like a dog with a bone. I really don't like giving negative reviews but felt this one needed addressing. If you've made it to the end of this review then I hope I've given you information to make an informed decision on what awaits you here. I don't want to hear from the management telling me that they are sorry that they fell short and would strive to improve. Nothing short of a total refurbishment would ever make me stay here again. The same meeting is at this hotel next year and my husband has been asked to participate. He will be there but we are opting to stay at a different hotel nearby and just pay whatever the difference is ourselves. NYC is a great place to visit and it's just not worth it for us to stay there ever again. On a final note, I would like to say that we had a lovely lady in housekeeping that came to clean up after our shower in our new room didn't drain and maintenance had to be called to fix this. We also had a wonderful bellman that escorted us and our luggage from our old room to our new room and of course Andrew the manager was responsive and did his best. But you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
12  Thank Vicki000
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Vicki,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share this detailed account of the accommodations and services rendered during your stay! Please accept my sincere apology for the less than perfect experience you had with us. I would like to assure you that my team and I are working towards 100% satisfaction and in this case we most certainly did not. When you have a free moment, please call me directly, I would love to get further details and work towards rectifying the poor impression we have made. In any case we are delighted to have you as our guest, and our doors are always open to provide you with the quality service and accommodations you expect and deserve. Please let me know next time you are planning to be in town, so I can personally follow up on your reservation.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My wife and I visited New york in March and being first timers to New york, were a little skeptical about the Hotel. But it turned out to be an excellent experience. Conveniently located on the 7th avenue, it has all major touristy place within walking distance.
Check-in was super smooth and we were in the room in like 12 minutes. There are separate lifts for every 15 or so block of floors so you should be careful. The corridor and rooms carpet was old but very clean and the size of the room was huge. Bed was super king size with standard hilton pillows. The big downside we found was the lack of Tea/Coffee maker in the room and a personal one - that they did not give us the HHonors points for booking for a lesser price 20 USD a night at another site, inspite of them claiming lowest price etc.
The conceirge always had a long que but she was very helpful for finding the right broadway tickets for that evening show. Beware of the Hilton club promotion people - they promise you free 500 HHonors points but it doesnt show up!
The taxis are conveniently available at the door step and there are two starbucks right across the street for that carry mug in cold weather, even though the herbs kitchen take out inside the Hotel wasn't too bad. Their chocolate mousse was lovely and the croissants were fresh. The check out faster than the check in. Overall with the location its a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Its a big hotel between two streets so ask for a higher floor with road facing windows. They have ex...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2014

An amazing weekend at the East Penthouse! You can't beat the 45th AND 46th floor Penthouse at the Hilton Midtown New York. We hosted 30+ people each of the 3 nights we were there, and we had a blast. The upstairs guest suites for private and quiet to retire early, while the downstairs accommodations were perfect for entertaining, including the grand piano. Thanks Hilton for a BIG weekend in Manhattan.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
3  Thank Chip P
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We spent a night at the Hilton manhatten and found the NY flagship extremely disappointing and certainly does not merit a four star rating.
The room was clean albeit boring - facilities BASIC - 2 towels, 2 face cloths and 1 hand towel.
No water, minibar, turndown, robes or slippers or coffee machine.
As for food - WELL, I have NEVER experienced anything quite as bad!!!
We flew in from South Africa , and after a long flight decided to retire early and not "hit the town"
Called down and was told there was no room service, but could call the onsite restuarant which would deliver a meal.
WELL!!! This was an experience never to be repeated. I ordered a turkey burger and pot of tea.
Imagine my surprise when I opened the door ( of this four star hotel ) and was handed a packet, yes a packet containing a foil wrapped, Inedible slab of dried out meat between a bun, a piece of lettuce and frozen tomato and onion which they passed off as a salad, plastic knife and fork and a paper cup of boiling water, 2 tea bags, some sugar (no teaspoon) half and half and a napkin.

This is certainly not the Hilton of the past and is definitely a case of once is more than enough.
Fortunately we're checking out and moving to an old favourite, the reliable Helmsley Park Lane.
Bev Chertkow

2  Thank 911Bev

Bev Chertkow,

I would like to take a moment to personally thank you for submitting your experience. Your feedback is truly important to us because it helps us to realize both our strengths and weaknesses from our guests' point of view. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations with food service and amenities throughout your stay. We strive to provide the world class experience you expect from our brand and regret this was not your experience. We will keep your concerns in mind as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' needs and hope you will give us another opportunity to impress should you return to the city in the future.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

After 19 years I was pleased to come back here with my family. Since 1995 I upgraded myself to different hotels around central park but with three children I found the Hilton more affordable. What a difference...the executive lounge has been moved from the 44th floor with view to the lobby on the street! Many clients complaint about this and I agree. Hilton surely needed more space for more rooms for more clients...The hotel is full of groups, one of them is a group of hundreds of students, I am sure very sympathetics but young and here to also enjoy nightlife. Nobody can complaint! The only I can complaint is Hilton who give the suite we have booked between two rooms of students. They had parties in their rooms and I do not want to blame them even we had sleep problems... A client explained me that she had the same problem a few weeks ago and that Hilton,,at least this one, is now the center for groups 'festivities' and they do not card about individuals and surely not families. This is exactly the feeling I have. So, they can keep their HHONORS 'privilèges' and first learn what privilege means...WAS A PRIVILEGE TO BE ABLE TO SLEEP IN AN HOTEL ?

Room Tip: Do NOT hope to find sleep with so many groups in this hotel dedicated to groups
3  Thank PhilippeDouvier

Philippe Douvier,

I’m so sorry for the noise issues you experienced with neighboring guests' festivites during your stay. We work diligently with our staff to ensure each of our guests is respectful of others, while still enjoying their stay and special event. We regret you experienced a noise level that made your stay unpleasant and we hope you will give us another chance to impress the next time you are in our area as we are eager to make your stay with us the best hotel experience possible.