“Not a the expected level!”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #323 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Well, it was a disappointing experience :
- breaksfast is poor
- hotel room are noisy, due to weak noise insulation. You will notice it when the other room listen to the TV, you can follow the program!
- restaurant is expensice and poor
- no laundry service during week end
- personnel is helfull, room are OK, modern and clean,

but overall it was not at the right level for a Hilton at this price.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (10,833)

Reviewed September 13, 2008

We stayed at this hotel on a vacation to New York City. The single best thing about this hotel is the location. It is located in a very central area and most convienent. The price of the room was acceptable by New York standards, breakfast was a tad expensive. I did not like that bell service was not offered at check in, and that after checking out, you had to PAY for each bag to have them stored in an empty conference room. For 2 hours? Really unacceptable!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank polished_pink
Reviewed September 12, 2008

I just came back from a three days business trip to NY where I stayed at Hilton NY. The hotel is huge, a lot of floors with endless corridors. If you dont want to be reconized this is your place in NY, you are not going to be even noticed...
Well, the location is perfect, just in the middle of manhatan midtown but it is the only good thing about Hilton, the rooms are pretty small, even for NY standards, the bathroom is even smaller, the toilet and the sink seems to be almost in the same place, one over the other. Everything inside the room looks old and the smell of tobacco is present everywhere even if you leave the window completely opened (and the noise would be another problem).
The breakfast is good, above average but for almost 30 dollars you can get something better.
The service and the staff are Ok, they are fast and helpful but you have to pay for everything, it was the first time that I payed to store my bags in a hotel !!
I am sure I will not go back there, there are some other good hotels nearby with much better space and quality for the same price.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank lontramil
Reviewed September 11, 2008

We stayed on the club level for $100/night at the invitation of the Hilton. Most of the operation is geared towards selling their timeshare property on 57th Street and there's no reason to stay here unless you are planning to attend the sales pitch. I got into a very heated argument with the doorman after I hailed a cab without his assistance. Rather unsettling experience. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OriginalThomas144
Reviewed September 10, 2008

We stayed at this hotel after attending a wedding in Queens. My boyfriend had never been to NYC so I wanted to show him Manhattan's best. This hotel was the perfect home base for our sightseeing. It's pricey, but worth the location and the property. My room was very clean, though tiny. We had no problems with our stay whatsoever. I also liked that at night, as in many NYC hotels, that they lock all doors except the main lobby doors. You must show your room key and ID to a guard who verifies that you are a hotel guest. For a large hotel, it helps give a sense of security to the guest. This was an easy walk to Central Park, Times Square and 5th Ave. Anywhere else was accessible by subway and all the bellman and valet knew where the subway stations were that would most easily get us on the train we needed.
My only complaint was the suggestions of the concierge. I was very specific in what type of restaurant I was looking for, which was a small locally-owned type place with great food and atmosphere. We're in NYC, they're everywhere, but to a tourist maybe not so easy to find. The concierge kept recommending places in Times Square, which consequently I had been to on previous trips to NY. I knew when he said the names that the only criteria they fit was having good food. We ended up finding our own places.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tooby2
Reviewed September 9, 2008

We (two adults and two children) stayed in a standard double for three nights in July. If you love New York and want everything the city has to offer, I can't think of a better location. The hotel is within easy walking distance of Times Square theaters, Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue stores and Central Park. As others have noted, it is a BIG, BUSY hotel. However, it is fairly up to date. Our room was very close to the elevators, but we heard almost no noise. As someone noted, there are quite a few service people in the hallways. However, this wasn't a problem for us -- made it easier to get extra towels, coffee, etc. Our room was updated with new furniture, lighting, flat screen TV. Couple of notes: Do not book here if you're looking for a super view. The best you're likely to get are Midtown office buildings and taxis below on Sixth Ave. Also, don't bother with the New York Marketplace restaurant on the ground floor. If you're looking for dinner, there are hundreds of eating places within the surrounding blocks. Overall recommendation: If you're coming to New York for the upcoming holidays, this is a perfect pick.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Johninarlington
Reviewed September 8, 2008

My daughter had to go to a bachelorette party and a shower the next day in New York City. I went with her and her 2 week old baby. The Hilton was terrific in helping us to settle in with the baby. From check in, the bell hop, the restaurant staff and even the parking , everyone was so helpful and attentive. The room was wonderful and the bed terrific. We got a great rate (for New York City) by prepaying for our room when we made the reservtions. The location was so convenient.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family