“nice stay”

Ranked #324 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“nice stay”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

not my first stay at the midtown Hilton in NYC .always good stay , the location is great, over 2000 rooms
lobby is so busy , 24/7 , having a deli /coffee shop at the hotel for early first coffee check in and out was fast ,
Cleanliness good , Value was good too

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,813)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I stayed in the NY Hilton with a group of friends.

On arrival the staff were efficient in processing our check-in but they lacked that certain touch you get in many hotels, but I am a believer that everyone is entitled to a bad day.

The room was average but the bed was comfortable. Tea and coffee facilities in the room would not go amiss, perhaps I am too used to this but in-room tea and coffee facilities is practically the norm for European hotels, maybe it's a little different in the US.
The room was cleaned each day.

The bar was expensive and not very welcoming, as was the food so we chose to eat and drink elsewhere.

The night security staff were very friendly and welcomed us back each night.

One big gripe I have with the reception is the fact that although I allowed them to take a swipe of my credit card I also clearly stated that I would pay by cash when checking out three days later. When we did go to checkout the staff had already charged my card even though I expressly asked them not to. I now had a large sum of cash in wish I had planned to use to settle the bill.

In the day of widespread wifi the NY Hilton charged $12 per day if you wished to use wifi in your room, I though this was quite expensive.

The NY Hilton Midtown has location as a good selling point but I feel there are other points that need addressing to bring it to above average.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fortypence
Denville, New Jersey
Reviewed March 29, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at a number of Hiltons in different locations, and found this one to be fairly typical. We had a smooth check in and no problems with our room or the facilities. Everything was clean and well maintained, and our limited staff interactions were fine. Here are some things that stood out for us:
The hotel is the largest in NYC. Expect crowds. They seem to host a lot of large groups/conferences/etc. We didn't mind, but if this bothers you stay at a smaller place.
If you have a car, consider parking at a nearby garage instead of the one at the hotel. There are a couple with better rates less than a block away. And you won't get caught in what can be a long line to get your car back at checkout time. The main hotel entrance is covered so you can drop off people and luggage and then head to the off site garage.
The dining options were disappointing. The Herb n Kitchen breakfast buffet was included with our room (through HHonors), and we were very satisfied with it, but I would expect a hotel like this to offer a variety of dining options. Being in the heart of Manhattan there are plenty of restaurants within a short walk, but it was still disappointing not to see anything at the hotel. And if you have to pay for breakfast and want to save some money, I suggest trying the deli across the street on 53rd, it's much cheaper.
The automated check out was great. Our bill was error free and we were able to check out with a simple push of a button on the phone.
The Minus-5 Ice Bar is one of those unique things to try, once. Glad we went, don't see any reason to ever go back.
There's an executive lounge on the ground floor that's unexceptional.
I can't comment on the gym as we didn't use it.
I think the best feature of this hotel is simply its location in the heart of midtown Manhattan. It's really convenient walking to many things from here. The hotel itself was fine, but there's nothing to make it stand out either way compared to other large hotels. Given the location and size they have to work with, Hilton could transform this into something special, but they haven't. It's totally "adequate". Given all NYC has to offer right outside the door, I have to admit that was enough for us.

Room Tip: Elevators are separated to cover different groups of floors, so no real added delay for higher floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Arny E
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Ok, so it's true as the other reviewers have said. The New York Hilton has basically been turned in to a Golden Skillet Cafeteria. Who thought of this? What marketing genius thought that was a good idea? There is absolutely no place to get a good meal in this place and it's only the Herb'n Kitchen (you read that right, again who thought of that?) that serves room service. This place serves up its delicacies as day old lettuce in plastic bins. As the rest of the world has gone foodie, Hilton's decided to go decidedly down market. News flash! People come to big city hotels to be pampered. What were you thinking? No one in their right mind would subject themselves to this kind of outrage. Also, the bar service is slow as molasses in January.

Room Tip: I'd say choose an upper floor, but then you might die of starvation.
Green Features: The usual menu of sustainability practices. It's not bad in this regard, though all those plastic containers in the Herb'n Kitchen (yet again that awful moniker) can't help.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Philip S
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel and restaurant. I apologize that you were disappointed with the dining options available and I have brought your comments to our food and beverage team. We are actively reworking our offerings with your recommendations in mind. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back to see the changes we have made and provide feedback.

Thank you once again for your comments.

NYCNH_DS@hilton.com
Kellie Cahill
Director of Marketing

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Los angeles
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

This was my first stay at the midtown Hilton in NYC on Ave of Americas. I chose it because it was close to a venue I was going to and convenient to the subway and most of the places I like to walk to
Very close to Times Square and Rockefeller center and Central Park this is a great place to stay of you are visiting. I thought the room was nice and the fitness center was impressive for such a big hotel. There was a great marketplace on the lobby floor which sold fresh pizzasade on site a
A lots of great foods and coffee etx
There were at least 5 elevator banks. Always busy but the elevators came quickly
The beds were comfortable, nothing extraordinary but good. I also got a great rate for the room and that helped. I have stayed in at least 25 other hotels , mainly boutique hotels. This was more than adequate and service was very good. The housekeepers were very nice and accommodating

Overall this was a good experoence and I think good for families. And for business etc
I give it a thumbs up. As long as the price is right

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank susannaa2000
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I come back to this hotel once a year as part of a group and it only gets worse. While this hotel should be one of Hilton's crown jewels it is more of a disgrace to the chain than anything else. I stayed for four days in an executive level room, nice room, contemporary design, clean and a LED screen at the size of the Times Square electronic billboards.
Service is really bad at this hotel and staff has a weird attitude towards one of the issues that are important to me -- to enjoy my stay. I found myself troubled and inconvenienced by staff more than anything , including misleading information from customer service, unnecessary trips to the mail room, contradictory information from front desk and customer service and what not? Nothing was done with a smile and nothing was done to please me. On four occasions I went to the mail room and found it closed. coming back from my morning run I had locked myself out and was told to go to my room and wait for security. After 15 minutes I went down to the lobby to settle the matter, security actually never showed up.
The executive lounge is at the ground floor, it's busy and not particularly impressive. I only had coffee and breakfast, so I don't know what they serve later in the day.
The lobby of this hotel seems as busy as Grand Central Station, but with a much less impressive décor.
Location is second to none. Apart from all the obvious location parameters, I would emphasize that there are Avis and Hertz locations adjacent to the hotel, very convenient when you need a car.
Housekeeping is reasonable, not extraordinary. I would have expected an executive level room to have a bathrobe, but it didn't.
Waiting times for elevators is very long which makes everything very slow. I used the gym on one occasion and found the gym to be well-equipped with state of the art equipment and a reasonable A/C.
Next time, I will insist on another hotel, because it's just too hard to enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Dan G
We are sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and your feedback will help us to better deliver this brand promise moving forward. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again should you return to the city in the future.

NYCNH_DS@hilton.com
Kellie Cahill
Director of Marketing
London, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed here in August while on a tour of the Gardens of New York City. The location was very central, meaning walking distance to Times Square, 5th Ave shopping, Central Park, and Rockerfeller Centre. The hotel offered breakfast with our room, although it was only coupons and you had to go downstairs and get your own and eat in your room, which was not an inconvenience for us. There are unlimited places to eat also within walking distance as well. Lot of room, although you will unlikely have any view in this hotel. They also offer limited shopping but one gift shop has wonderful silk scarves.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy on weekends
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends