“Great location, great service”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #326 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, great service”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Used the Hilton Midtown for the second time this year and have found the service excellent both times - service could easily be lost in such a large Hotel, hospitality was great!

The midtown location is perfect for business and leisure.

Recommended!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,784)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

When booking this hotel on line several months ago, I requested a room with a decent view since this was a 70th birthday celebration for my husband. We hadn't been in NYC in over 30 years. I was pretty convinced that my request would be overlooked or ignored, but I was wrong! The view was amazing even though we were only on the 28th floor. In addition, when we returned from dinner that first night, there was a bottle of champagne and a box of chocolates along with a card wishing him a Happy Birthday. I was floored! Despite the sticker shock from room rates in the city, the Hilton turned out to be perfect for what we wanted. We could walk just about everywhere - Times Square, Broadway, Central Park, 5th Avenue, etc. We were even given early check in and a late check out. Couldn't have asked for more!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JoanFB
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights last June with my husband and we weren't disappointed! Great location in easy walking distance to 5th Ave, Broadway, Central Park, Times Square. Staff were extremely helpful and a lovely lady suggested a great restaurant for our anniversary dinner Tao, and even made the reservation for us. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I'm not one to usually complain easily but, after being a loyal member to Hilton and staying at many of its hotels across the globe, I have to say that this one ranks pretty much at the bottom of the list. That's especially disturbing considering, one would think, that New york should serve as a flagship to other locations.

As a Diamond member, I usually don't like to flaunt status to gain additional priviliges ... in this case, however, it seemed that my status wasn't at all recognized (except for having the possibility to stand in the HHonors queu which, in the end, took longer than the normal line) ... according to the receptionist, after I had to ask, I was upgraded to a larger room ... turns out that the room was much smaller than any I had previously stayed in ... on top of this, my colleague who was travelling with me, and does not have HHonors membership, also received an upgrade (without asking) and his room was much larger than mine. Perhaps they were punishing me for having had the nerve to ask :-)

Again, not being one to complain, I accepted the room they gave me as I would be spending very little time there anyway ... the room itself was dank, dark and there was toilet paper stuck inside the peephole to the door ... couldn't quite figure out what for but perhaps this is a new style of decoration for Hilton.

The next morning, I met my colleague for breakfast and, because he didn't have access to the executive lounge, decided to go the normal breakfast area ... here I asked if my complimentary breakfast could be transferred whereupon, without explanation, I was answered no ... so I ended up paying $45!! for a standard, average breakfast ... unbelievable!

The icing on the cake came when, on the evening before, I asked for a late check out due to an evening flight ... I did not mention my status as this should be in the computer ... the receptionist, who was very rude, told me that I could check out at 1330 .. when I asked if there was any possible way to extend this further, I was told to check in the morning ... the following morning I called the reception and was told (again rudely) that there was no possible extension as the hotel was overbooked ... I was forced, at this point, to mention my status and the conversation I had the previous evening whereupon, with great annoyance, she said she'd call me back. Afterwards, with obvious reluctance and in a very unfriendly tone, I was once again granted the 1330 check-out .. at this point I gave up fighting.

Even without any special "status" priviliges, I have never been in a hotel which treated me in such an unfriendly manner ... you really feel as if you're a number and that they can't wait to get you out to turn around the rooms ... this upset me so much that I'm honestly thinking of giving up my loyalty to Hilton to favor another branch where status is recognized and treated accordingly.

Room Tip: ... don't ask
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank VikeST
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Please accept our sincere apologies for the poor experience you had during your recent stay with us. We strive to ensure every guest has a pleasant stay and we regret our missteps that hindered your visit. We will use your comments as part of our ongoing customer service training and hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the complete quality stay and value that you deserve should you return to our area in the future.

KELLIE ANN CAHILL, CMP I Director – Sales & Marketing
NEW YORK HILTON MIDTOWN
e: NYNCH_DS@hilton.com

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Denver
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Nice location for work or pleasure. Rooms have been upgraded with new carpet etc. My only complaint was there was no coffee maker in the room. Nice gym that is now complementary. Lots of street noise which is common in NYC (garbage trucks, ambulances etc). Great location for business conference.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Very large and busy hotel. The location was excellent, what interaction we had with staff was good. For a large hotel, the elevator system was good- never waited more that a couple of minutes. Rooms were fairly up to date. Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I recently spent three nights with my sister at the New York Hilton and was thrilled with its location. Very central to everything. Diagonally across from Radio City Music Hall. About 5 block south of Central Park and 5 blocks north of Times Square.
Friendly staff at reception desk.
Beds very comfortable.
You can print your boarding pass free.
Wine by the glass $14.00 ( avoid hotel bars for that reason)
No coffee maker in the room but Starbucks across the street.
A $3.50 per bag charge for them to hold suitcases if you book out early but have a late flight.
Overall good stay.

Room Tip: We were on the 29th floor. View was good.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends