“Pleasant stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Pleasant stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for five days while attending a conference. Rooms were clean, bathrooms seemed recently renovated. It's an average hotel, and small things like a in-room mini bar, coffee machine, etc. are no longer included, at least not in my room. Over-priced drinks at the lounge, but that was expected.

I would also expect that free wi-fi would be standard for any hotel, but it is $15 a day here. They do have a sustainability program where you can opt-out of housekeeping for one day and get free wi-fi for your stay, which does help.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,764)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Columbia, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Quick Summary:
I was very close to giving this hotel a 5 rating, but gave it a 4 due to just a few issues. Based on the previous reviews, I would not have chosen to stay here if it weren’t the location of a dance convention. But I decided to take my chances and I am so glad I did. I had a very nice experience. I did not encounter any “run-down” areas of the hotel. I did request a renovated room prior to arrival so that could be why. But even the public areas are nice. My interaction with the staff never felt impersonal. Even though it is a large hotel, I felt like I received the personal attention I would have at a smaller hotel. I would definitely consider staying here again in the future.

Details:
Pre-Arrival – I called the hotel three times a couple of weeks before I arrived to ask questions and make requests and all three times I spoke with staff members who were knowledgeable, friendly, and patient. I first called to ask if there was a surcharge for the fitness center since I read that there was on a couple of reviews. They confirmed that it was complimentary. My next call was to put in my request for a fridge, a lower floor, and extra towels. The young woman with whom I spoke was wonderful! I wish I had caught her name because she was so patient and friendly. The third time was to confirm if any deluxe king rooms had a view of Central Park on the higher floors. The staff member explained that they do not. They only have a view of the building across the way. So that confirmed my decision to keep my low floor request. Fridge rental is $35 for the whole stay. Unfortunately we did not get a fridge despite our request because too many people requested one and they did not have enough for everyone. Our name was on the waiting list for the whole stay, but we never received one. So we ate some meals at West 53rd Gourmet Deli across the street. The deli had great prices and made for very inexpensive breakfasts and lunches ($1.00 toasted bagels and other reasonably-priced items). I would highly recommend the deli as a money-saver.

Check-In – We arrived around 5:30 PM Saturday and check-in was quick and smooth. The lobby area is very nice. I never encountered any area during our stay that looked like it needed updating as I read on previous reviews. We received our exact requested floor (11) and were assigned room 1105.

Room – I booked a Deluxe King Room with the queen sofa bed. I was debating between that and the two doubles because I thought the sofa-bed might be uncomfortable for the kids. But the lower price and the king bed steered my decision. Upon entry to the room, we noticed the queen sleeper-sofa was open and already made up for us and there were extra towels in the bathroom. The room was actually very nice, clean, and recently renovated (you could smell the newness of the furniture) and an okay size for a family (a twin air mattress fit nicely between the beds). The bathroom was very tiny and it was difficult to maneuver with more than one person in there. There was also a shower only, no bathtub. This was fine for our family, but if you have very little ones, you might want to make sure you request a room with a bathtub. The shower was very large though. There were automatic lights under the furniture that illuminated when they sensed motion, so that was a nice touch for the middle-of-the-night restroom trips…especially for the little ones. The queen sleeper sofa ended up being fine for the kids. The mattress was a little firm so adults who prefer softer mattresses may not like it. The air conditioner worked perfectly and kept us comfortable all night. I do wish there were thicker comforters for the beds though.

Housekeeping was very friendly and attentive and our rooms were always cleaned early. There was no waiting until late afternoon like I’ve had to do at other hotels. Even our children commented on the housekeeping services and wrote thank you notes to the staff because even they were impressed (So kudos to the 11th floor staff from July 5 – 12!).

We had a great view of the streets of New York from our window. It was nice to sit in the window and people-watch. We heard absolutely no street noise on the 11th floor. We did however have a very large group of teenagers from a Brazilian touring group staying on our floor and they were extremely loud at all hours of the night. We had to call hotel security the first three nights we were there and got very little sleep. I also tracked down one of the “supposed” chaperones of the group and they told me they didn’t have specific groups of kids assigned to them so they weren’t sure who was making the noise. I never saw a single chaperone on our floor and I would think that legally one adult would be required to stay in the same room if not assigned to a specific block of rooms for children under age 18. Thankfully the group checked-out after our 3rd night and our next 5 nights were very quiet. We spoke with a manager (Alexandra) about our inconvenience and she was able to assist us a little. I would have liked to have had additional compensation given the fact that we did not sleep much at first, but I assume she did what she could. This is one big reason why I did not give this hotel a 5 rating. We were there with a very large dance convention and all of the dancers were very quiet since we all had to get up early in the mornings. But the teenage tour groups were not. The manager suggested in the future calling 1 week prior to arrival to inquire about which floors they would be placing large groups so you can request a different floor. She said generally these groups are assigned lower floors. This is unfortunate because I prefer the lower floors.

Public areas – Most of the conference rooms and ballrooms are located on the 2nd and 3rd floors. There was one large area on the 4th floor that was also used as group space. This hotel is large enough to accommodate several group events at once without making you feel over-crowded. I didn’t have too much of a problem with the elevators. The higher floors (16+) seemed to have longer waits than the lower floors. I also wasn’t bothered by the advertising on the TV screen in the elevator. Perhaps because I was never on it long enough for it to annoy me.

Additional Info – This hotel is in a perfect location: walking distance to Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Broadway Theaters, Times Square, and the shops on 5th avenue. It’s also a very easy subway ride to the Museum of Natural History, Battery Park, and Ground Zero. The 7th avenue station is right around the corner and the 8th avenue station is pretty close too. Normally this hotel charges for WiFi, but since we were with a convention, that fee was waived which was a huge plus!

Cons:
No fridge, microwave, coffee makers in room (fridge is a $35 one-time fee if requested)
No “free” continental breakfast (one reason why I usually choose Hampton Inn)
No pool or hot tub
Lower floors tend to accommodate large teenage tour groups
Sometimes long waits for elevators, but the wait seemed less for floors 1-15
Gratuity automatically added to restaurant/bar tab even for one person

Pros:
Great location
Friendly Staff
Clean

Suggestions:
Add a 24-hour complimentary coffee station in the lobby. There was a coffee station available, but it was available for a fee.

Room Tip: Call 1 week prior to arrival to inquire about floors with large, young tour groups.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank uscgrl93
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

How can a hotel of this standing have such terrible coffee? Starbucks is definitely benefitting - there are 2 close by, and there are always long queues of Hilton guests going there to get a proper fix.

I stayed at the Hilton for 7 days last month, I could still overlook the 80's wallpaper and outdated decor in my room, but terrible coffee is unforgivable!
(even the staff agree!)

On a positive note - Natividad at Reception was very helpful - an absolute star

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed her eon business for 3 nights. Very busy hotel. Good service, Rooms pretty nice. Only disappointment is that you do not get access to the executive lounge unless you are a platinum member. Found this surprising as in all other big cities I have travelled (London, Paris, HK etc) executive lounge access is included for gold members. However the hotel did provide free vouchers for continental breakfast in the lounge as a gold member. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Honolul, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I enjoyed my stay It was every things so close I went couple of shows and location was so close to time square so one night I spend out side and came to my room at 2 AM. I had so much fun and love to stay again in Hilton Hotel. It's a great brand name you can trust.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This Hilton is in midtown. Very convenient. Rooms are slightly above basic. Service is quite accomadating. Fitness facility is excellent. The price we paid for the room was great value by NYC standards. I would recommend it as a well priced, well located hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

2 Thank desingerinDC
Floroe, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel found to be very good but unfortunately did our stay at the Hotel corresonde with " a million" youths sharing the same Hotel floor. Upto 20 minutes waiting time at the elevators. Service at the front desk found to be very good. Unfortunately were the breakfast line, any time in the mornings, to long. Upto one hour in line from breakfast unless you choose to eat at 1030 hours.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family