“4thof July” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rapid City, South Dakota
“4thof July”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I attended a credit union conference in NYC and then stayed the weekend for the 4th celebration. The hotel is convenient to the theatre district and Time Square and I walked to the Broadway shows and the shopping areas. This was my first time in NY and I was pleasantly surprised how helpful the everyone was.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,750)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shelton, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Yea new york city hotels are expensive but I am a frequent hilton and hampton inn user and this one dissappointed me very much especially for being one of the more expensive. The location is good, the view from my room was not. The service was fine but the room was terrible, The floor was sticky, the towels were sticky, the sheets felt unclean. Everything just felt very dirty. Not to mention the bathroom was tiny. I recently just stayed at the Parker Merdian which is only 2 blocks away for about the same price and was blown away by the service and the quality. The next time I go back to NYC I wil be staying there again and will give this Hilton a miss. It is a shame because I always use Hilton and Hampton Inn as my go to, but not this one.

Room Tip: I ordered a king bed from the hilton site and was given an average room that felt very small and unc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paul T

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed 7 nights for a conference. Parts of the hotel have been renovated. We were lucky to get one of the rooms that has been renovated. They do not have mini refrigerators or coffee pots in the king rooms. I am not sure why, there is certainly enough space but can reason it could be a safety issue. I saw a maintenance provider opening boxes of new mini appliances in the hallway outside a room on our floor. I am assuming the room was a suite and they have more amenities. The only negative was the bathroom did not have space to place personal toiletries. Future renovations could possibly place a shelf under the sink, provide a stool for placing personal travel kits, or raise the sink level to make more space underneath for storage. The toilet area was very crowded and almost made it impossible to reach the flush mechanism. Sorry I did not provide a picture. We did not eat at the hotel. My husband attended the conference and I and do not know if the continental breakfast and lunchbox meals were provided by the hotel or outside catering. We were told by another guest about a deli across the street from the parking garage. There are also several restaurants close to the hotel within walking distance. The hotel was very quiet, very unlike most hotels which are noisy due to the traffic in NYC. There was hotel advertising on a screen in the elevator that was a little annoying after hearing it each ride. Our room was kept very clean. We were in Room 2044 and the view was nothing special but the quiet was appreciated. We had to take at least 2 showers a day, sometimes 3 due to the excessive heat during our visit (June 29-July 5). We were provided plenty of towels. Each of the hotel employees we encountered were all very friendly and extremely helpful. There was a new bar opening soon which I wish we could have experienced, the Minus 5 degree bar. Everything was made of ice. Sounded very unique. Great location. Convenient to many attractions, museums, shopping and the subway. I believe our room was located next door to a suite because we could hear kids romping and playing. After our first day, I noticed the wallpaper in the hallway had been peeled back away from the wall. I am sure this was due to guests and will be repaired asap. You cannot judge the hotel for these kind of issues. Will recommend to friends who want to stay in the area and will return in the future. Our room was a little pricey but close to the norm for NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated floor.
Green Features: They have suggestions in your room about re-using towels to save water.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Boston, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Hilton was in an ideal location for treks with wife and two kids (10 & 12) to Central Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and West Side Highway for fireworks. Management's response to air conditioner problem was immediate and satisfactory. Could have used more staff at front desk for faster check-in, but otherwise this was a great place for our 24 hours in NYC. I would stay here again without question!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed at NY Hilton in November. Its a nice hotel, close to Radio City, Rockaffella, Time Square and Broadway. Also its a reasonable walk to Central Park. Some of the staff can be a little pretentious but hey, this is NY! I'd stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We were aware of the mixed reviews but picked this hotel based on the wonderful location and the reasonable prices. We had an excellent stay here. The room on the 31st floor was clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was very small but it was only a minor inconvenience. We found the staff and concierge to be very friendly and helpful, especially with our questions about using the subway system. One elevator broke down early in the morning which caused long waits for the remaining elevators, but it was fixed within a few hours. Overall, no major complaints at all and I would stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Huntersville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

The best thing about the Midtown Hilton is location—you're only a few, very walkable blocks from Central Park, Times Square / Broadway, and countless restaurants and attractions. If you want to feel the pulse of NYC and get to places fast, this location is hard to beat.

The hotel room itself is rather basic ... a bed to sleep in, a shower to bathe in, towels to dry off with, a TV if you want to check the weather. There were some amenities I wish the room had (such as a mini fridge and coffee maker) that were lacking. The mattresses and pillows weren't very comfortable, so unfortunately I had 5 very bad nights of sleep. On the plus side, housekeeping was good. When my son had a minor accident in the bed, they not only changed the linen, they also tidied up the room again, brought fresh towels, and replenished toiletries.

We paid extra (around $35 per night) for Executive Club access. Basically this gives you continental breakfast (mainly flour-based products—bread, muffins, cereals) plus yogurt and fruit. You can also get free bottled water and hot beverages between 6:30 am and 10:30 pm, which is really convenient in a place as expensive as Manhattan.

Even though I brought my husband and son along, my primary purpose was business. The conference and ball rooms are conveniently located on the 2nd and 3rd floors and are easily accessible by an escalator (there can be a long wait for the elevator ... this is a BUSY hotel with 44 stories!). The convention seemed to be well managed (for example, when there was standing room only in one session, staff quickly opened up an adjacent room to provide additional seating). Lunch was included, but it wasn't very good. After the first day, I preferred to pay out of pocket for a better option (I recommend Alice's Tea Cup!).

Overall, the Midtown Hilton is an OK place to stay, especially if your company is paying for it. But if this were my own money, I'd definitely keep looking.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the 34th floor. Elevator banks go only to certain floors, and 34 is covered by two ba...
Green Features: I did not see any options to recycle, which was disappointing.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business