“A great location in the heart of NYC tarnished by old facilities, staff who don't care.”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #327 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Hilton NYC has a great location near everything in NUC. However the staff were very un-caring. From the arrival we pulled in the Parking (a $50a night mind you) no body showed up to help with the bags. I had to drag 2 big suitcases throughout the lobby under the eyes of the staff who cared less. The lobby huge and extremely crowded and noisy. Check in was ok but the room we got was not a good choice. I did reserve for a high floor which we got but was really facing a building!! The room was in need of a refurbishment - it felt like old and smelled like it.
Breakfast is so so and very crowded. The hostess, a golden age lady, was chatting with her friend not bothering with the line waiting. And when we ask her she replies with that "nice" NY attitude.. Oh well .. She is someone grandma so cannot argue with her.
Other times we call he front desk jut to be on hold nd at the end no one picks up.
Well for the money, it was not wow.. There are better choices

• Stayed: March 2013
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay, I appreciate your honest feedback about your experience with staff members and value at our hotel. Your review provides feedback that our hotel team needs to re-evaluate guest needs and better meet guest expectations. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality hospitality we stand for should you return to the city in the future.

Kellie Cahill, CMP
Kellie.Cahill@hilton.com
Hilton New York

Reviewed March 14, 2013

It is a hotel that treats its guests like a herd. I am a Diamond member (the highest level of fidelity) and yet I can guarantee that I felt like a nobody.
The breakfast room in the executive lounge becomes (on certain days) almost a war.
If it's raining and you go to the concierge to ask for an umbrella, you simply get a "have no more" and that's all.
No morning newspaper or even a bottle of water as would be supposed for a diamond member.
With so many better options around, don't stay in a hotel that doesn't care or give any attention to you.
This was not the first time I was treated with such disregard. But always gave another chance in the hope of an improvement. Now I gave up... no more Hilton NY for me.
To store your luggage (even being a guest) costs $ 3.50.
It is a "soulless hotel". A place where you definitely don't feel special.
The only good service that you see there is in the advertising on the elevator screen.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you felt in any way unimportant or not valued and assure you this is not acceptable of our hotel and staff. Every guest is very important to us, especially our HHonors members, so I have addressed these issues with our team. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience what our brand is known for: truly award-winning hospitality.

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I keep coming back to this hotel as part of trips where I don't choose the hotel myself. This hotel is large and busy and the lobby resembles a train station at rush hour more than anything else. The location is excellent, close to subway stations, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, MoMa and most Midtown attractions.
I arrived at 5 AM and the three bellboys could not be bothered to get up and help me with my luggage.
This hotel has now removed its coffee makers, but you can always order room service, if you have a particularly expensive taste in coffee. However, there is a 24 hour store located just outside of the 53rd street parking entrance.
This hotel will charge you for anything, including, but not limited to, receiving a small package, full fee per device you connect to WiFi, fee per luggage you store (even for half an hour) on you date of arrival or departure).
There is an Avis office conveniently located on 54th street if you need a car.
I always take a Deluxe room at the executive floor, but the lounge is nothing to write home about, even after it was moved down to the busy lobby.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dan,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stays with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your candid input on the look and feel as well as value and amenities at our property and we will use your comments as we constantly look for ways to improve our guests' satisfaction. We know our guests deserve the best from our brand and we look forward to seeing you back the next time you are in town on business so we may show you the improved quality hospitality you expect.

t: +1 212 261 5966 I e: Kellie.Cahill@Hilton.com

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just got back from NYC where we stayed at the Hilton New York for the first time. The rooms need a major facelift! There was peeling paint on the ceiling in the bathrooms, you had to reach under the bathroom counter to flush the toilet and the only plug in the bathroom was directly next to the sink and tub - not very safe! Also, the first rooms they had given us had a horrible smell - like a dead animal. They did move us to another room though. The location, however, was very, very good. Within walking distance from many great areas. You couldn't beat the property's location!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with your guest room. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we work to improve our on-property experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Location is fantastic, rooms not too bad, bathrooms old, housekeeping weird (kept knocking to check if we were in, in the afternoon ??? ...... kept forgetting to leave towels, bath rug and so on....). Stuff at the desk was surprisingly rude, I say surprisingly because it rarely happens in any Hilton around the world we have ever been. The only polite and welcoming people were those in the executive lounge which was very beautifully taken care of and breakfast was good too. Appallingly expensive is their garage and the valets were the worst I ever met, we did not even tip them for how rudely they were behaving.... My husband and I were truly gobsmacked at their attitude! Never again, this Hilton is out for us. Not even closely as good as the Hilton in Times Square!

Room Tip: Take an executive room, the lounge is really the best thing in this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed 3 nights for a business trip, the location was extremely convenient (heart of mid-town) for my meetings. As a Hilton Gold member, I had free breakfast (with the option of an express on-the-go breakfast) and I was upgraded to a larger room. I was on a high-floor, which I prefer, and although I was relatively close to the elevator, it was very quiet. They had a free option to print a boarding pass in the business center which I used and thought it was very convenient. The room was comfortable and clean. I would stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights during a healthcare symposium. It is sorely in need of renovations. (the rooms are very old and stains on carpet) For the price of the rooms, one would at least expect the hallways to be clean and inviting. Rather, throughout most of the day, I would see loads of laundry outside the doors or trash bags. Also, at this time, the main restaurant and the Starbucks are closed to make way for a new concept of a restaurant coming later in the year. Only a downstairs bar is open. In the mornings, I hear that breakfast buffets for $36 were served there. Also I ordered room service and as always, checked my receipt against the published prices and found, hmmm, that they did not match. Had I not called room service to correct the problem, I would have simply overpaid and been none the wiser. My suggestion is if you think you are going to need a comfortable AND uplifting environment to relax in after a long day at business meetings and/or seminars, choose another hotel, especially if you want a the value you feel you should get for more than $260 nightly. Do not stop here unless you truly have to. In all fairness, I did find the desk staff to be helpful and friendly as well as the members of the Cleaning staff. They were absolutely precious, especially Eleonora. If you do stay here, ask to be put on her floor because she will make up for what the environment lacks in comfort and well-being.

Room Tip: Ask for floor where Eleonora is working.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that value was of concern and I am sharing your feedback with the appropriate members of our team. We strive to provide the best hotel experience at affordable rates with quality service to each of our guests and your comments will help us to do so moving forward.