“Convenient Location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Norway, Maine
“Convenient Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel half a dozen times on business. The rooms are average, a bit small compared to many other hotel rooms I have stayed in. Lobby is extremely busy and noisy. I have waited up to 40 minutes in line to check in. Staff is not overly friendly but will help you if you ask. I stay at this hotel as its the perfect location.. It is very. Best quality of this hotel in my opinion is that so much is in walking distance of the hotel and I always feel safe staying there. The hotel does have a couple nice lounges - great place to sit, have a cocktail and watch people. Restaraunt was average.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mainesilver1
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor. We are always happy to hear from our guests and we value your input. We apologize for the noise issue you encountered and if you did not feel our team was as helpful as possible. We will use your comments as part of our ongoing training to provide the level of hospitality you deserve and we will work to improve this impression. We are glad you found our location convenient for your activities in the city and we look forward to having you back the next to you visit New York.

Kellie Cahill, CMP
NYCNH_DS@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,764)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Had a fantastic four night stay at this property 1/9-1/13/2011. I found the property to be an exemplary steward of the Hilton reputation.

I had booked approximately three months in advance and had requested information about any room upgrades as a HHonors Gold member. My inquiry was answered quickly and professionally by Kellie Ann Cahill. While I knew that much depends on getting an upgrade, I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to learn that I had received an upgrade to a deluxe king room 1112.

The room itself was very comfortable and seemed to be recently renovated. While it didn't have the amazing views of the upper floors (44-45th) the perks of the room were apparent. The furniture, tv, refrigerator, etc., all were fresh and crisp.

As an @HHonors member I also received vouchers for the $19 morning continental breakfast for each morning of my stay and two bottles of water. Much appreciated!

This is an amazing and large property. Renovations to the dining and coffee/breakfast areas were ongoing - however the first floor meal/bar options were wonderful and two Starbucks were directly across from the front and side of the hotel.

The location of this property is ideal. MOMA is just a few blocks away, as is Central Park and the Rockefeller Center.

This is a very large property - but the staff I encountered were always overly courteous, professional and fun to speak with. The ques at the taxi line did bunch up a bit during a downpour, but everyone took the slowdown with easy

I had the continental breakfast on two mornings - even though I had 4 certs I just had to explore the other great restaurants in the area. Each time the continental breakfast at the New York Hilton was very good. Large, large, bagels with changing selections of creative cream cheeses. The yogurt selection was also good, and the coffee was stronger and better than I'd hoped for.

A large conference center is part of this hotel; I ran into first Coca Cola conferencegoers and then APAP presenters; for some reason two people mentioned how Hilton took the room coffeemakers out of their rooms.

So, I just wanted to rant a bit that this is a good thing - anyone who believes the tiny coffee makers, or K-Cups in their room (or home for that matter) are anywhere near the quality of freshly brewed coffee at a restaurant, or across the street at Starbucks, needs to rethink their coffee consumption! Anyway, I'm a coffee snob, and I had no problem being more than 3-4 minutes away from good coffee during my stay.

The checkout was easy and quick; the invoice was correct and my HIlton Honors points posted to my account within 72 hours.

Thanks to the staff for a great stay - I'm already planning a return trip to NYC. My new favorite home away from Chicago.

Room Tip: Great views on rooms higher up - but I think most of the renovated rooms are on the lower levels. I...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tourcation
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel at least 50 times, and it's been sliding downhill for years. With many new hotels popping up nearby, the Hilton has responded by removing coffee makers, closing the top-floor Executive Lounge, and letting its many dated rooms simply fall apart.

I've had great stays here before, but recently the service, room quality, and scaled back services are really unacceptable.

In the place where the coffee maker used to be in the renovated "deluxe" rooms, there's now a conspicuous empty space with a recessed light over it. For $300/night they can't put in a Keurig? Or even the cheap kind every single Hampton Inn has?

C'mon. That's just stupid.

When my parents were in town recently, their shower had a jaggedly broken an dangerous soap holder in it. The shower in my adjoining room simply did not work. I used 100,000 points for the stay; they refunded 25,000-- but a showerless room should be free.

As a Hilton Honors Diamond Member, I'm used to not getting upgrades... But they basically never happen here.

They need to bring back coffee makers, update the 1980s Executive Floors, and remember that people, include Wi-Fi for free, upgrade diamond members, and then I'll be back.

Until then, I'll be staying at the Renaissance or one of the countless nearby Hampton Inns or Hilton Garden Inns.

• Stayed January 2013
10 Thank JohnInNewYorkCity
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
John,

Thank you for being a loyal returning guest and valued HHonors member. We appreciate your candid review and feedback of your recent stays with us. We are sorry to hear that you feel our quality has declined over the past years and we will use your comments and suggestions in mind as we constantly strive to improve our guests' satisfaction. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit the city so that we may show you the quality service and accommodations you expect and deserve from our brand.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Red Bank
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We did the ultimate tourist move and drove into the city on December 23rd for a one night stay. The hotel as you can imagine was hopping! The cavernous lobby is filled with hustle and bustle, yet I never waited more than 2 minutes to get assistance and when I did my questions were answered. This also held true for the elevators (they are divided into floor areas) and the Honors lounge -great appetizers and wonderful coffee machines!

My wife and I traveled with our 2 children (5&2). We are Hilton Honors members. The room was fine for us, we requested a crib but were told on arrival that they were all taken. This was a last minute reservation at their busiest time so I would not think of faulting them. The lounge was a real treat and was filled with people, yet their was plenty of seating. I am not much of a people person... but we wound up talking with a number of people from all over- really was very nice. The lounge was always open for coffee-soda-perrier and usually cookies. The appetizers, when out were great- hot and always refilled.

We had breakfast the next day and again, the hot breakfast was great- the kids got their pancakes and sausages and we had our eggs, etc. Afterwards I walked around to see the included continental breakfast and wow, what a spread. They also told us their was no charge for the kids which was very nice.

The room was clean, quiet and had the appropriate amenities. The staff was very helpful and courteous. I highly recommend this hotel

We had a great time and I highly recommend this hotel. A great time

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Patrick M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Well I have never been to this hotel and not had a good stay. Was upgraded to the State Suite which made me not leave the room for the evening as it was more like a very large apartment. Totally great. The hotel is in the perfecg location in New York for the restaurants, Central Park, Radio City Music Hall and so much more.

This is always my preferred hotel in NYC.

Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Mr_John_C300S
Delmar, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip. There is no free wfi in the rooms.There were only three elevators for my block of floors and one was not working so there was always a wait. There is no coffee in the room. Room service is ridiculously expensive. I got a small coffee and yogurt at the coffee bar and it was almost $8. The employee who checked me in was very friendly and nice. Checking in was the best part of the stay. The location is great. The room was very clean and the linens were nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Grandma127
Thank you for feedback.

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that some charges of concern and am sharing your feedback with the appropriate members of our team. Thank you for your review.

Kellie Ann Cahill, CMP
Miami
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

For a Hilton it looks more like a vacation resort. It is a very crowded hotel and with huge traffic. I reserved club room and I got a normal king room, not so spacious with old bathroom, not at all what I expected. the lounge for the club members was in the lobby and the service people could not match the flow of members which meant that you had to queue for the breakfast. The second day I went to the normal breakfast, and it was not better. S..... service. I guess the location is the only thing for this hotel. One of the best location in NY city you can walk almost everywhere. I would stay again there because of the location, but definitely not for the staff nor for the food, very very disappointing for a Hilton.

Room Tip: You are close to the shops and many restaurants, not so far from jazz club or shows. Definitely a g...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate your input and apologize you were disappointed in our breakfast service and offerings. We will be sure to take your comments into consideration as we constantly look for ways to improve our guests' satisfaction. We are glad you found our location convenient for your activities in the city and look forward to having you back should you return in the future.

Kellie Ann Cahill, CMP